• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Health Groups Petition FDA to Pull High-Potency Opioids

avcpl

Bluelighter
In response to the growing opioid abuse epidemic, several health groups have written a petition (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2017/images/08/31/citizen.petition.uhdu.opioids.8.30.17.final.pdf) requesting that the FDA remove ultra-high dosage unit (UHDU) analgesics from the market.

The 5 groups—the National Safety Council, Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, the American College of Medical Toxicity, and FED UP! Coalition to End the Opioid Epidemic—supported their petition by citing a CDC guideline in which opioid doses exceeding 90 morphine milligram equivalent (MME) per day were deemed to be “dangerously high.”

Opioids that cross this threshold when taken as directed include UHDU formulations of oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, methadone, and transmucosal fentanyl, according to the petition.

The groups specifically pointed to a CDC-conducted study in which patients who used between 50 and 100 MME per day faced a 1.9 to 4.6 times greater risk of addiction than those who used less than 20 MME/day. The CDC also suggested that opioid dosages exceeding 50 MME per day increased the risk of overdose without adding a comparable benefit to pain control.

“The harms of UHDU orally administered opioid analgesics outweigh the modest benefit of allowing patients to swallow fewer tablets or capsules,” the petition concluded. “When utilizing the new benefit-risk framework that takes into account inappropriate use, the need for removal of UHDU becomes even more clear. UHDU opioids should be immediately removed from the market to prevent further harm to thousands of adults, adolescents, children and toddlers.”

The petition was issued the same week that CDC officials awarded more than $28.6 million in additional funding to 44 states and the District of Columbia to support their responses to the opioid overdose epidemic. The CDC funds build upon the July 2017 announcement that CDC was providing $12 million to states to support overdose prevention activities.

At PainWeek 2017, Society of Palliative Care Pharmacists President Rabia Atayee, PharmD, told Pharmacy Times that while she agreed that opioid abuse is an urgent concern, she did not necessarily believe that removing high-potency opioids from the market would be the best way to combat the epidemic.

“I think that what’s more important is that, as clinicians, we’re trained to use opioids at any dosage appropriately,” Dr. Atayee said. “This epidemic is the result of health care providers failing to properly dose and monitor their patients. Let’s put our efforts together in an interdisciplinary approach and train providers to accurately assess their patients rather than pulling certain drugs from the market, because there may be cancer patients or others who are truly benefiting from these high-dose opioids.”

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/confer...oups-petition-fda-to-pull-highpotency-opioids

I wish I could buy stock in heroin

I wish I could buy stock in heroin

I wish I could buy heroin. :(

(pain management patient here, scared to death they're going to cut me off; my doctor warned me "off the record" that all his patients that have been consulting with pain management have returned with their prescriptions lowered; it's just a matter of time I think....and I don't know what I'll do...)

^no you don't...
Heroin sucks, I've only ever met 1 person who used it just occasionally..most people end up fucked up in the game. You don't sound like a super street smart type of user either so you'd end up being taken advantage of by actual fiends anyway if you tried to get involved with the scene. Leave it well alone.
When I was using I would have dreamed for a custie in your situation cause it would make my life so much easier being able to supply someone such as yourself..
Why not try methadone for pain or something like that? I'm sure that is probably an easier sell to doctors for legit CP than most other opioids.

Yes. Taking away meds from the severely disabled should stop heroin addicts from injecting Chinese fentanyl.

Scary scary shit for those with legit pain.

PROP is a rehab soboxone lobbied group. They want everyone cutoff so they have no choice but to go on subs.

Are there any groups opposing these groups?

Well the article says the Society of Palliative Care Rphs does but if theres one thing I know, pharmacists have little clout.

One of the groups sponsoring the petition is the Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing and there has been pushback against them by many pain manangement advocacy groups.

Why not try methadone for pain or something like that? I'm sure that is probably an easier sell to doctors for legit CP than most other opioids.
plus it's the undisputed heavyweight champ of pain medicine.

This whole problem started because of irresponsible doctors prescribing opiates unnecessarily, or not tapering their patients properly. That's how you create long-term addicts. They were giving them out like candy so that the pharmaceutical industry could rake in obscene profits. Now that the U.S. is addicted, we're supposed to just turn off access for everyone, including those that actually need it therapeutically. The corruption and lack of accountability are never ending.

These "health groups" (if you can call them that) have no ethics. They're proposing changes that will increase the black market presence and the incarceration rate, nothing more.

I dont think the majority of doctors were irresponsible. They just wanted to ease the suffering of their patients which in western medicine means drugs or surgery. They were told for years, write as high a dose that is effective and tolerate then all of a sudden its nope, no valid reason for megadoses and if you do you are doing a disservice to your patient if not being downright negligent.

Scare tactics i say!! but really...

These drugs are essential pillars to unique situations and should be treated as such, with precise professional REASON. AND should be available always.
THE REAL PROBLEMS THAT HAVE CREATED THIS PROBLEM IS CHEAP CHINESE FENT AND DUMBASS CHEMISTS THAT KILL PEOPLE,
And the PATENT analog is YUP u guessed it is not that dangerous,(as in u know these peeple wake up) with the clandestine shit peeple die. turn purple weirdly like they were poisoned.
Just whats on my mind
EDIT: And honeslty ALL DATA Proves Refined plant sourced heroin ,,,, no not dilloded..morphine nor many other opiates Except codeine which is on par with heroin these opiates halflife is made SO U WANT MORE MORE MORE gratcias from BIG pharma but codeine and smack are right in the right curves relevant to bioavailability, pain management somehow the raw opiate variations of opiate analogs have been made ... the poppy was here before us. IF NEED BE for every single one of us. very weird.

Last edited: