• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Health Benefits of Smoking

I don't think this forum is where this kind of... Nonsense belongs. Idk. My opinion at least. Smoking tobacco especially is really bad for you, the "benefits" are little more than thin excuses to not feel bad about destroying your body slowly and inhaling toxic fumes constantly. It literally cannot be be good for you. I don't see the point of this especially as you posted it in a tongue in cheek manner.

All I can say: utter drivel on the site linked: truly blatant lies and self deception.

The Parkinson's neuroprotective benefit seems to be the most beneficial. All the other ones I wouldn't really say outweigh the negatives of smoking. If the ROA was changed though...

^If the ROA changed then it wouldn't be smoking, so that statement really doesn't apply here. You're basically saying "Smoking is bad for you, but if you didn't smoke then it wouldn't be bad for you". No offense, just don't trick yourself into thinking it's safe to smoke because it has some mild neurological benefits. It's horrible for your health and science proves that to be true a thousand times over. Now, tobacco/nicotine and it's relatives can be used more safely if not smoking ( ie, vaporization), but the OP is about smoking in particular.

It's a farce to say smoking tobacco is good for health, and it's obviously untrue drivel that is only said because many people love to pretend they aren't doing the harm they know they are doing to themselves. It's just denial of the fact that smoking regularly is one of the most harmful things to health that you can do. That really isn't even debatable, it's fact.

Last edited:
tobacco does have some beenfis but they are greatly outweighed by the obvious cancer causing effects

nicotine can be e.g. protective against parkinsons disease and some of the maoi compounds founds in tobacco smoke are also interesting pharmacologically

this really is overshadowed by the toxic and deleterious effect it has on respiratory health though. don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting anyone should go out and start chain smoking.

What about vaping? Obviously the long term effects are still dubious, but in theory it should be safer. Although nicotine is neurotoxic? Do the benefits come from the tobacco or nicotine?

Afaik transdermal nicotine has been suggested for some difficult-to-treat forms of ADHD. But this looks like some kind of short-cut for what a better working / less toxic substitute could be made.

Also, subjectively, I can tell you that nicotine alone from e-cigs or nicotine gums is nothing useful (subjectively) and even less fun. Smoking never appealed to me though.

But these MAOIs in there are somewhat intriguing (harmala alkaloids if I remember correctly, but don't know which ones exactly.. harmine seems to be lighter / "nicer" than harmaline or a full spectrum extract...). Some time-released harmine prodrug should be made to try as an antidepressant.

Afaik transdermal nicotine has been suggested for some difficult-to-treat forms of ADHD. But this looks like some kind of short-cut for what a better working / less toxic substitute could be made.

Also, subjectively, I can tell you that nicotine alone from e-cigs or nicotine gums is nothing useful (subjectively) and even less fun. Smoking never appealed to me though.

But these MAOIs in there are somewhat intriguing (harmala alkaloids if I remember correctly, but don't know which ones exactly.. harmine seems to be lighter / "nicer" than harmaline or a full spectrum extract...). Some time-released harmine prodrug should be made to try as an antidepressant.

Intranasal nicotine may be an effective treatment for ADD, at least for some people. I had a friend who used the nasal spray for ADD and it seemed to work for him. The downside is that he had to re-dose every 10 minutes and the frequent administration of nicotine made him horribly dependent on the act of physically administering the spray, similar to how heroin addicts develop a fixation with injecting. When he stopped, he went through prolonged nicotine withdrawal.

Yeah the nasal spray seems like an addiction waiting to happen. I can't imagine nicotine being a beneficial medicine unless it's in a time released form. Even then, nicotine is more psychologically addictive than amphetamines.