• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television HBO's "Luck" Cancelled: Too Many Horse Deaths

MrGrunge

Bluelighter
It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series Luck.

Safety is always of paramount concern. We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horseracing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures. While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won't in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision.

We are immensely proud of this series, the writing, the acting, the filmmaking, the celebration of the culture of horses, and everyone involved in its creation.

Quote from Michael Mann and David Milch: "The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers. This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future."

They didn't mention the number in the quote for some reason, but three horses died during filming.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. The original 1929 Ben Hur saw the deaths of nearly a hundred horses, and Casablanca director Michael Curitz's 1936 movie The Charge of the Light Brigade was responsible for at least 200. Just another day in Hollywood.

^Lol back then they didn't have animal rights groups monitoring how animals were treated.

To quote from the Social Network.

Eduardo: This is absurd. I'm being accused of animal cruelty. It's better to be accused of necrophilia.

Mark: It is better to be accused of necrophilia.

I was watching the show a couple weeks ago, and thinking about how difficult it must be to shoot the racing scenes. When you run horses like that, sometimes they break. Especially if they're having to run and then re-run a race, cause a shot was missed or something.
It seems like the shows creators would have anticipated these issues. Odd. Odd subject matter to begin with.
I stuck with the show, just because of my love of Deadwood, but it's really not that great. IMO, better the horses live on, then be sacrificed to a mediocre pay TV show.

Yeah, the show is nothing spectacular - a rare HBO miss. Which is weird when you've got the director of Heat and Dustin Hoffman on payroll. Although, Michael Mann's last movie was pretty terrible (RUNAWAY TRAAAAAAAAIN!!!).

^ I actually fucked that up - I confused him with Tony Scott and I'll be damned if I know why. :?

^lol yeah I was thinking that might have been it but I was unsure.

I kept thinking "there wasn't a runaway train in Public Enemies was there?" lol