• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television HBO: Generation Kill

34-dihydroxyphen

Bluelighter
Did anybody watch this show on HBO? It's created by David Simon the same guy who did The Wire.

The show is about a group of soldiers and a reporter right at the beginning of the Iraq war. I thought that it was very much like The Wire goes to Iraq. It had that same "journalistic" style to it that made The Wire the greatest show ever. You should check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the first episode. I liked it, but its no Wire. Maybe if Bubbles enlists...

I don't know if it's possible to say that it is not as good as The Wire after viewing the first episode. The Wire has never been about one episode, but rather a long arc that progresses throughout the entire season. It seems premature to presume that it will not be as good based on one episode.

I've been watching this since ep 1 and it gets better every episode. It's got the great character development that made The Wire so engrossing and like The Wire did with the BPD, I think it relates the bureaucracy and reality of the military - both good and bad - very accurately. Interestingly, most of the episodes so far have been written by women which I think has helped avoid the glory-of-war cliches that these series usually shovel down your throat.

The subject matter doesn't really allow for the complexity of plot of The Wire so Generation Kill seems to focus more on the ethical and moral compromises that come with fighting a war where a lot more civilians seem to get killed than legitimate enemy combatants (as happens in all wars I guess). The great thing about the series is that it doesn't force feed you this agenda or dwell on it unnecessarily and in doing so, accurately shows how ordinary, often disadvantaged people are put in situations that result in them killing innocent people without a second thought.

I loved The Wire and I love war movies so this show is a bit of a marriage made in Heaven for me. Personal bias aside, I think it's an accurate, well made show that exposes the reality of fighting in a war where the enemy spend most of the time running away and civilians bear the brunt of the invasion.

It wasn't as good as I had hoped it was going to be. Although the whole Iraq as a safe country behind the wheel with the reporter and it all being relative was funny. I got my bf to watch it as he has served, I thought he would find it kinda funny.

I saw part of an episode last night. The combat scene was fucking awesome. I watched the first episode tonight. It wasn't quite as good as the one I saw last night, but it was still damn good.

That's alright though. It's the kind of show that gets better as you get into it more. They need to set everything up and you need to get to know the characters. I'm gonna watch another one right now.

I just finished Episode 2

And there's def a Wire-esque feel to the show....

Im in the Air Force which is the polar opposite to the Marines relative when differentiatin the services...But this is about as authentic as you can get about the ground troops....They capture the Marine to the T....Fucking crazy....But thats who you'd want on the front lines fighting on your side..

Even if you hate everything about this show....You cant deny the comedic genius of how the miltary life is depicted...

Awesome show, its as good or better than I thought it'd be

i've been really enjoying it. the roadblock scene two episodes ago was edge-of-the-seat tv.

alasdair

just finished the 7 eps this morning. very engrossing series. whilst the sets and editing were choppy at first, they really came to a good level by mid way. the story needs to continue, even if more fictionally.

^ I just finished this the other night and am now a big fan.
If only there were more..... I was disappointed that it was all over so quickly though.

bump from the dead....

but i only found out about this about a month ago, and just completed watching all (only :() seven episodes tonight.

absolute televisual perfection.

the characterisation, the dialogue, the action... just blew me away. this series is up there with Band of Brothers.

favourite character has to be the sergeant Brad (?) - and I also loved his lieutenant Nate.

god bless fucking HBO.

TV Mini-series: Generation Kill

Does anyone watch this? It's a miniseries about a reporter traveling a USMC Battalion in Iraq (2003). It's based on the book by Evan Wright. Anyways I'm a bit of a sucker for modern war films, and I thought this series was definitely worth a watch.

Generation Kill

300px-Generation_kill.JPG

The series is on HBO, seven episodes total.

It's excellent, top notch miniseries, some of the best dialogue evar

Hah... glad you agree!

And ya, the down-time dialogue is one of the key elements here, I love it. It's hilarious, but also very interesting/thought-provoking at the same time.

^ Indeed, dialogue is nothing but top notch. I watched all 7 eps in one sitting and was disappointed when there was no more.

Very different to anything else of this genre, highly recommend it :)

Last edited:
Have you guys seen Restrepo?

It's a documentary, but if you enjoy GenKill you will likely enjoy Restrepo, albeit for much different reasons (since its real-live footage).

It is on my to watch list, maybe this weekend.

Last edited:
Highly recommended ;)
It's on netflix instant, if thats of any use to you.