• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Having a difficult time quitting

Hi.

Greenlighter
Hey guys so I've recently decided that I'm currently going no where in life so I'm cutting back on the weed. I have a heavy tolerance and I haven't been close to sober in weeks. It's not like I'm not going to touch weed again but I'm not going to have my own stash anymore because it's too tempting. I'm sure smoking a few grams a day isn't the best for my lungs either. It's been about 16 hours since I've last smoked and I feel really strange. I can't think straight at all and my ADHD is going absolutely crazy. I'm starting to get used to feeling sober again but I still just feel so off. On top of all that I feel pretty damn uncomfortable right now and I'll have moments where I feel like I'm really high and then it'll just stop. How can I get through this more comfortably? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I taper instead of going cold turkey?

Hey, you might have trouble sleeping - try melatonin for that.

You also might have trouble with reduced appetite for a week or two.

You might be 90% in a few days, or eventually find out weed was masking some sort of new issue. Sorry, don't know your background... a lot of it is all in your head and what it helps you with. I hope you are not at the point where you have cravings to smoke weed because that makes it way harder to stop.

I'd taper over cold turkey because if you jump off a lot of weed like that, you'll have an anxiety rebound for a while. There was a point when I completely lost self control, years ago, and had to jump off cannabis for a number of years. Ever since, I have had deep respect for it because I know it can fuck me up just as well as any other drug I use.

So you're new to this? It can be surprising how bad the symptoms are if you have never been through a withdrawal. Even if weed compares more to like a heavy coffee drinker completely stopping, cold turkey off a habit like that can definitely make you feel like shit for a while.

Try not to worry about it! I'd recommend tapering for sure, like every week cut back how much you smoke each day by 0.5g or something. But lots of potheads are in too deep for that, and the only way is total abstinence. You'll have to go through the experience yourself to see where you fit into all of this... it's very person dependent.

Sounds like you know what you gotta do though, at least for a little while.

^

melatonin, exercise and occupying your time with enjoyable activities will help.

a B-vitamin may help with appetite but exercising helps the most when it comes to appetite IME.
the melatonin will help with the insomnia:).

it's not that hard but occupying your time will help keep your mind off of it.

It would be the best way to do a lot other things during the day, if you don't have something to do, do sports (bicycle riding etc.). But when you need to go to bed, it would maybe very hard to fall asleep. Then I would suggest you to smoke a small spliff, this calms you and your symptoms down. About 6 months later, try to quit that "good night spliff" or replace it with melatonin and then you would be sober.

I tapered down from about 1.5g a day to one or two small chillums and I can say it was way better than just stopping CT. You'll still get side effects, they will just be less pronounced. I usually wait until I can't deal with the uncomfortable feelings anymore to smoke my daily amount.

I feel like it has noticeably lowered my tolerance as well.