• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Have you ever combined psychedelics with zolpidem?

Goddess Mode

Bluelighter
Lately, I've been becoming pretty sensitive to psychedelic-induced tremors, especially from tryptamines. It's a double-edged sword, because I've been becoming more sensitive to their hallucinogenic effects at the same rate. That has been nice, but the physical effects can definitely get too uncomfortable for me, so I've often been taking benzos to counteract them at the same time. They actually work pretty well without really diminishing the trip too much, but they do sometimes bring it down a bit. I only have access to a diazepam analogue right now, but I've been imagining what a magical world it would be if I could use zolpidem instead.

I've used zolpidem before, but not with psychedelics. I know that it can reduce or prevent tremors, so I'm fairly certain it would be just as effective as what I'm already taking for my purposes. The fact that it causes some dissociation and quasi-psychedelic visuals in the right doses on top of this makes it seem like it would be too good to be true for these combinations, and from the very scarce reports I could find, it does seem like it can enhance rather than inhibit psychedelic hallucinations. But, I haven't really heard from enough people to say for sure that I know what kind of reaction this sort of mix should cause.

Do you have any experience taking psychedelics with zolpidem?

It could go great, you could pass out, or you could completely black out but still be conscious. I've never combined it with psychedelics but I've used it plenty of times while high on e and speed, normally on the back end of the night(s). It had extremely unpredictable effects. Sometimes it would knock me out, sometimes id feel amazing and have zero inhibitions, and I also totaled 2 cars, fought one friend and stole from another with no recollection. Combine those unpredictable effects with the unpredictable nature of psychedelics in general and you're asking for something bad to happen.

If youre fishing out when you trip then you need to really ask yourself if tripping is worth the risk to your health. Maybe take a break for a little while. You don't want it to progress to causing full blown seizures whether or not you're on the drug. Unless you have a spinal cord injury, in which case thats normal, you should lay off for a little while and possibly go see a neurologist. At the very least stick with the diclaz.

I would say use the diazepam analogue instead as long as you don't think yourself susceptible to benzo addiction; that is a burden nobody should have to carry

I took some ambien torwards the end of an acid trip hoping for something cool to happen, but it just knocked me out faster than not tripping somehow. I wouldn't get ur hopes up there.

It could go great, you could pass out, or you could completely black out but still be conscious. I've never combined it with psychedelics but I've used it plenty of times while high on e and speed, normally on the back end of the night(s). It had extremely unpredictable effects. Sometimes it would knock me out, sometimes id feel amazing and have zero inhibitions, and I also totaled 2 cars, fought one friend and stole from another with no recollection. Combine those unpredictable effects with the unpredictable nature of psychedelics in general and you're asking for something bad to happen.

If youre fishing out when you trip then you need to really ask yourself if tripping is worth the risk to your health. Maybe take a break for a little while. You don't want it to progress to causing full blown seizures whether or not you're on the drug. Unless you have a spinal cord injury, in which case thats normal, you should lay off for a little while and possibly go see a neurologist. At the very least stick with the diclaz.

Good guess, but it's chlordiazepoxide. :)

I realize that the combined state could contribute, but I'm not too afraid of totally blacking out. I've used 10 mg of zolpidem before and it got me nowhere near that, and I would start with 5-10 mg for this, and I generally have a pretty crisp awareness in and later memory of my psychedelic trips, some visuals aside. On that dose of zolpidem alone I could see passing out especially late at night but I don't know about while also peaking on a psychedelic.... In any case, I'd be taking it with a sitter no matter what so I'm not really worried about things getting out of control. I actually remain ridiculously calm on pretty much anything it seems, whether I'm blacked out or incapable of understanding anything happening to me I tend to just laugh more and become more emotional. I definitely would have to make sure I select the right person for it. >.> But for what it's worth, I have been blacked out from alprazolam on a few grams of mushrooms before and I supposedly remained pretty harmless, I think I fell asleep before too long actually.

I do appreciate the concern. I have already slowed down a lot from where I was before. I've been tripping just once every two or three weeks, unless I fail to reach a fully active dose of something and then I might try again in a week. I also don't take benzos every trip unless that just gets too annoying, and I don't do anything but smoke weed otherwise. I did seem to make myself more susceptible to tremors on multiple things years ago after I briefly used diphenhydramine. I started getting them from smoking weed after that, and an alprazolam prescription for anxiety quickly started making it worse so I dropped that. That was quite a while ago, and my tremors are nowhere near as bad as they would be then from just smoking.... I also wasn't tripping back then though. It's a lot more annoying to deal with them on psychedelics, but I never feel like that while I'm sober or on anything else these days.... All I take is one or two doses of a benzo (I had to take two alprazolam for effect even with no tolerance) depending on how hard I'm tripping too, unless I just get myself all worked up because I'm tripping and dose higher but then feel stupid about it afterward. I've always had a lot of nervous energy, since long before drugs, so I'm sure that's a part of it too....

Thanks for the advice. If it gets worse than it is I may go so see someone, but right now I'm going to see how my slowing down effects it. I'm actually just not feeling the desire to trip that much lately anyway, or take more than pretty low doses of things. I'm really just brainstorming for the future.... Zolpidem isn't even really an option for me right now.

I would say use the diazepam analogue instead as long as you don't think yourself susceptible to benzo addiction; that is a burden nobody should have to carry

I do have something of a history with benzos, but I wouldn't say I've ever really felt like I could be easily addicted to them. I've been using this one already for a few years as needed for panic attacks, which I think I did two or three times in this past year, or psychedelic tremors. I've never been compelled to take a benzo for any other reason, but I am interested in zolpidem's hallucinogenic effects, though I'd much rather explore them just on psychedelics and not alone. I've been doing this for long enough with a handful of different benzos that I feel pretty safe about exploring things other things in a controlled environment, as long as I can't find evidence of any negative health reactions. I do appreciate the advice, but I have to extend my reach some time! ;)

Plus, as I mentioned above, I'm really just thinking ahead right now. Unless some zolpidem happens to magically fall into my lap.

I took some ambien torwards the end of an acid trip hoping for something cool to happen, but it just knocked me out faster than not tripping somehow. I wouldn't get ur hopes up there.

Ah, well I am keeping that possibility in mind. I'm hoping that taking it earlier on will help though, LSD is crazy stimulating for me so I think it would be pretty hard to make me pass out while peaking on it. I've never taken a benzo that was able to considerably dull the energy of LSD until around T+6:00 at least. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks for sharing. :)

Since benzoids (non-benzodiazepines) like zolpidem seem to be a bit more selective in their action I think they possibly blunt the experience of a psychedelic less than say benzos.

While I don't really find the prospect of amnesia combined with a psychedelic appealing or responsible (I have blacked out on acid and alprazolam for 3 days once), a while ago I combined a steep amount of zopiclone (something like 42 mg of perhaps not entirely pure zopiclone powder) with very large doses of I.M. 5-MeO-DMT. It resulted in a very special feeling of bliss and ecstasy, so much more intense than being high on the average acid trip. I'm not sure I felt happiness and love like that except maybe when I got high recently when I was at the time just falling in love with a woman (it's working out :D ), or maybe a few other near ++++ experiences that either turned my life upside down or really healed and improved me spiritually and morally.
I repeated high doses like that until I used about 100-150 mg of 5-MeO-DMT over the course of the night, and though it almost went completely sideways at one point, I managed to stay composed between successful recreations of deeply ecstatic states.
It was a pretty crazy idea at the time but made perfect sense, a rare inviting moment. I'm sure that this kind of thing, when forced at a random other moment, could lead to disastrous trips if not amnestic states... although you would probably opt out of repeating those =D

Hahaha, that sounds nuts!! Talk about a party. =D Well for the sake of seeing how well they combine with GABAergics I don't think I could have a better example for comparison than 5-MeO-DMT, so thank you hehe. I would definitely try something like that if the timing just seemed right. Though I would have to find my way to both substances first somehow....

I actually tried an Amanita pantherina tea yesterday half just for the sake of doing it and half to see if it might seem like it would mix favorably with psychedelics as well. I was pretty damn surprised by the effects.... First of all there was NO memory loss or disorientation of any kind, not even as much as like a prescription dose of alprazolam. Despite that, I felt considerably drunk, so much that the drunkenness was becoming psychedelic. If I'm being totally honest, it actually became so psychedelic that I would bet money that a newbie would have a hard time telling the difference between that trip and a tryptamine in a blind taste test. Though, the twist is that I don't think a newbie could have gotten effects that strong; it felt very much like the kind of trip you have to *really* have the experience and intuition to work with, the kind of thing that someone who is just pleasure seeking might not even notice, and yet if you actually do know how to appreciate the subtleties of a trip it can bring some of the greatest pleasures of all....

The catch...? It actually caused tremors, just like a psychedelic! Curses, just one small flaw away from being the ultimate GABAergic to combine with psychedelics!! Ah well, maybe I'll just have to mix hallucinogenic benzoids with both of them lol.

Note that 5-MeO-DMT acts relatively strongly on 5-HT1A receptors which is rather atypical because most psychedelics have actions presumably based on the 2A subtype, so might not be the best example after all...

Possibilities should be considered why I did not fall asleep before getting around to the 5-MeO-DMT or why I didn't get anterograde amnesia followed by dangerous absent-minded situations, my zopiclone powder could be impure or degraded, tolerance, something else in my system or mindset countering hypnotic action, you name it.
On paper I still don't know what to think, let's not jump to the conclusion too soon that this kind of combo is golden.. although if you get it just right, the relaxing disinhibition could enable psychedelic states full of feelings of freedom and other win... but clearly you need to compensate with larger doses of the psychedelic.
A lot of this requires experience and insight, if you don't mind me complimenting myself. I went in increments with both substances and proceeded when I felt that the synergy could facilitate very nice effects. But yeah I've seen you around, and I know you have *been* around town so to speak.

Careful with A. Pantherina, I think usually Muscaria is used because the potency is less wildly unreliable and often so strong as Pantherinas are? Also muscimol / ibotenic acid's GABAergic effects seem to be considerably different from typical downers from what I know about the subject.

I hear ya. My main thought was just that 5-MeO-DMT is so intense and abstract, it makes me more confident to remember something like a normal dose of LSD if you were able to retain your trip through all of that haha. Plus, 5-MeO-DMT does work through 5-HT2A too, so I'm sure there is some overlap. I get what you're saying about potential zopiclone impurities too. I was planning to start with a prescription dose of zolpidem and a low dose of a psychedelic, so I'm not terribly worried. I don't redose on new drugs or combinations if I don't reach the effects I want, just try again next time, unless that combo is just like adding more LSD to another psychedelic I'm also familiar with or something.... I think you get to compliment yourself after making it through that combo lol. I still wouldn't go that far yet, I'm still working my way up to those experiences.... I definitely think I'm on the right track though. Thanks for the perspective. :)

I've heard that about the pantherinas too, I'm keeping the doses small for now. Honestly though, if muscimol is the only real varying factor then I'm really not worried. Really, I found the pantherinas to be smoother than the muscarias even though I tripped harder on the former than I ever have on the latter. All the accounts I've read lead me to believe that pantherinas may have comparatively less muscarine to the muscarias, and therefore might actually be the more pleasant one if done right....
I'm guessing based on your wording that you haven't actually tried muscimol then? If that's the case, maybe I can provide some fresh off the presses insight from my experience. I couldn't fully wrap my head around this until it actually happened to me. In the same way that a synthetic cannabinoid trip feels like getting high on weed, and then getting higher, and higher, and higher, higher than you've ever been before, so high that reality starts to shatter... so does muscimol feel just the same way for alcohol and getting drunk. During most of the comeup phase, the first couple of hours or so, literally the only difference I noticed from alcohol was, like I said, that there was no memory disruption or accompanying psychological disorientation. It progressed all the way to getting the spins, but without any nausea or anything, it wasn't unpleasant. They increased to the point that I would have blacked out on alcohol, but since I was still so clearheaded, they just kept going and going.... They increased to the point of becoming actual geometric visuals and strong dissociation, but in a very psychedelic way. From that point on, the comparisons were shocking. It didn't feel "psychedelic-like", it was literally giving me visuals indistinguishable from serotonergic psychedelics, even all the way up to how the entities are formed. At the same time, visuals indistinguishable from anticholinergic deliriants were interwoven with them, and I'm pretty familiar with deliriants as well. There is truly no better description for muscimol than psychedelic deliriant.... At the peak, it had the euphoria, loss of inhibitions, and energy of psychedelics, with the mindset of a deliriant, and the visuals of both. It was actually so much like them that I'm now pretty much as convinced as I can possibly be without dissecting someone's brain myself that muscimol actually stimulates GABA(A) receptors that become active in response to both serotonin receptor agonism and muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonism, as they are known to in various areas around the brain, and that what makes it unique is not actually that its different from most other GABA drugs, but that it's the only one that is capable of taking you to the level it does without causing total amnesia. And in that way, the actual picture would be one of *most* GABAergics being psychedelic deliriants, but mostly only in sub-hallucinogenic doses....

Fascinatingly, this study seems to suggest that muscimol may not act on GABA(A) receptors containing alpha1 subunits. Interesting that zolpidem, which is pretty well known for its high incidence of amnesia, acts selectively through these receptors, don't you think? ;) I'm certainly much more intrigued by these mushrooms now than I was before.... I'm hoping to have a report up for that experience some time tonight.

I've been taking zolpidem for sleep for about 8 years on and off, but mostly on. If you take a break from it and mix it with weed, you'll get visuals. Next day, not so much. That being said, I have also smoked weed most days in the last 5 years. The problem with the "recreational" value of the combo is that zolpidem almost always leads to blackouts. I like the effects, so I stay up past the blackout stage almost every night. Now, on to the question about heavier psychedelics... I've taken it to sleep on the tail end of an acid trip probably 50 times and shrooms maybe 20 times. It always re-activates the visuals after they're finished. It also works to some extent with K, but I've usually had too much alcohol by that point to get the best out of K. I've have the most intense 3-dimensional hallucinations of my life after I've taken the Ambien - mostly with acid about 6 hours after dosing. Glowing-floating lights filling the room, walls dancing like there's a projector on them. Problem is, you black out and don't remember past a certain point.

This kind of thing doesn't happen with other benzos. I usually take a Xanax at about 5 hours after dropping to reduce the gurning and smooth things out. After I drop an Ambien on top of it, things get crazy again.