Recruiting Have You Been Abused by Emergency Room Staffs Due to the Disease of Addiction?

tothworld, are you still collecting stories for your book?

When I carelessly overdosed on an honestly unknown RC by not using a proper scale, and my blood pressure was around 190 / 130 or so, the staff who was setting me up kept fumbling with the equipment on purpose (dropping it and whatnot - "Oops!"), delaying the process of hooking me up to an EKG. I could see them smirking. This went on for a good minute.

Another time, I was in detox for an unknown withdrawal reaction (presumed to be a regular Xanax and Alcohol combo), they gave me a Klonopin and what they said was a Clonidine. This combination somehow caused a serious reaction, sending my heart rate up to 190+. Not sure if this has any significance.

The next day, they fed me a phenobarbital every hour for 14 hours straight. When the psychiatrist came in the next morning, he asked "Do you know how much Phenobarbital we gave you yesterday?! Most are asleep by the fifth one."

Yes I have been abused by a big nurse dude from Texas who seemed to enjoy hurting me as he dug for a vein in a spot which I told him was useless :(

Doctor announced loudly thru entire ER area I was a "frequent flier" and "drug seeker

I am a chronic migraine sufferer and also have many mental illness issues. But the majority of my ER visits which total about 4-5 visits a year are only after I have tried and suffered for up to a week with the worst throbbing, piercing, nausea with so much vomiting, having ice burns covering my complete forehead since I need an ice pack or a bag full of ice, given to me 99% of the time with a small towel or cover over it which will not help me at all. At times family will try to help and take their turns holding the ice to my head and after 20 seconds have no idea how I can not go without the most frozen ice ever. The ice pack also serves as a way to block the lights which unless they park me in the hallway, the nurse will do whatever she can to dim the lights if again I get into a room with 4 other people. I always have someone to drive me because I would most likely kill myself driving or worse hurt anyone on the road. I also carry a red "emergency" plastic sleeve pouch that not only lists the names in order of who is the neurologist that treats my migraines, then my psych, primary care doctor, etc. I also have an up to date medication list of both brand and generic names since in total I take 11 medications a day. They also list the exact dosages, and instructions on how to be taken. Most of the time I finally give in and go to the ER after calling my neurologist and primary doctor, their response is there is nothing they can do for me in their office and also if it has been lasting so long and all my arsenal of preventative, abortive, and other treatments I do solely to keep myself out of the ER since for the most part only the women doctors and nurses either get migraines also or knows someone that does and they know it can be awful enough to have no where else to go but the ER. At one point when I couldn't get any family on the phone to take me there I began to bang my head on our window and by the third time I had managed to break the entire glass, have that removed and stitched at the ER and have permanent scars on my upper forehead very close to my hairline so unless you really stare it isn't horrible to look at. Quickly I have had chronic migraines since 12 years old and while I did go to the ER rarely since at 12 besides some IV anti-nausea meds and fluids and then two motrin I was sent home to hopefully fall asleep and feel better. Since my mother passed before I was old enough to have asked all these questions to have all the info possible for every neurologist, migraine hospital (Jefferson Migraine Hospital in Philadelphia in-patient alone for two months) I live in Connecticut and at the time the treatment I was going to try was not FDA approved, I can't remember everything in all those IV's they had in me since the IV's ran 24 hours for everyday of those two months. The machine that was hooked up with all the IV bags of the medication DHE, Lidocaine, Fluids, and steroids left me in bed most of the time so on top of that misery when I would get an awful migraine attack and would tell the nurse or doctor asap since that is the best chance ever whatever abortive meds they can give you will work 100 times better than even waiting a couple of hours. But because this very young and up and coming neurologist was head of this clinical trial, he wouldn't give any patients anything but Tylenol or Motrin. it was cruel and sadistic. And after those two months there was no improvement and I went thru more MRI's, Brain Scans, Spinal Tap, Occipital Stimulator, Botox(actually trying it for a second go around every three months and can take at least 3 treatments to show any improvement at least for the amount of migraines you get a month. Not only does your neurologist and insurance know for sure that you are a "chronic" migraine sufferer is the only way to get this treatment and the criteria to be considered "chronic" is 15 or more days A MONTH in which you will get attacks and long and severe they add up to. So by the time I get to the ER after not keeping down a half of a cracker or a sip of gingerale which quickly is a great benefit of then not being able to take the extremely dangerous daily psych meds I take between the physical strains put on my body but the wonderful withdraw symptons that will follow. On my medication list of allergies says that the ONLY anti-nausea medication that will not give me severe taccardia is Phenergen, which is not a controlled substance but it can make someone very drowsy if they never take it so its the last choice for most doctors but I have a monthly supply of them at home and never feel drowsy if they stay down in my stomach. Then I also have a severe allergy to Tramadol, which is a "non-narcotic" pain medication that once again is preferred by most doctors but again when I broke my left femur bone costing me 8 months of bed rest, 2 surgeries, awful scars, and 20% permanent disability in that leg I was given for the very first time by my surgeon who took care of everything to do with this injury for those 8 months and the first script was for Dilaudid which I didn't know what it was. The nurse that came to my home to help with my home care was the one to tell me just how strong of a pain medication it was. After a few months and I became tolerant he added Opana with Oxycotin...really! Again I was either in bed with no laptops, ipads, or iphones so I couldn't look the meds up and since these meds were being written by only one doctor on the day he wrote them, never early, and with the pharmacy at that time giving or letting whoever a family or friend could pick it up since I was unable to drive. Mind you at that time I was 34 year old woman who yes has chronic migraines and mental illness but never had this kind of an injury that was so horrific, disabiling, and got me so dependent on those darn pain killers that when it came time to start the weaning off process it took about 6 months in which I think he stopped both the Opana and Oxycotin. And I was on the Dilaudid still. From that I went to the strongest strength of percocets, to vicodan, codeine, and then tramadol. Thru that whole 6 months it wasn't a wonderful time and I did go thru uncomfortable side effects and my pain was now something I felt ALL the time but once I took the Tramadol it was less than 5 minutes later that I would have a grand mal seizure and so the first 2 times it happened I couldn't explain when I came to after I seized off the bed first and then our couch the second time. The second time my family saw the whole thing happen and what they described as far as my body,neck, legs stiffen but tremble. Then I was completely unresponsive to them yelling out to me and my eyes rolling back in my head. I only awoke in the ambulance having not one reminder of what had happened. Finally at the ER when I told them the meds I was on they did order me more Tramadol thru the IV since I had fell on the floor banging my head and he figured if that was the plan of withdrawing off pain meds he wasn't about to order something stronger and again in a minute or two the monitors they had me on and my family by my bed started going off and finally it happened in front of my doctor and nurses who gave me something in my IV stat to stop the seizure and that's when they finally realized it was only from the Tramadol. I will continue the second and final reply to this story that I did not realize was going to be so long and keep me awake all night. I'll be back soon and thanks to anyone who has taken all this time to read only the first part of this story. so sorry just so much to say.

yes I have been I feel like if your an addict or in the emergency room for a drug related cause then you are definitely treated different then other people and also at times can be abused depending on the situation and I know this because it has happened to me several times. Not all hospital staff act that way thou but there are always the bad seeds that make everybody look bad. Most hospital staff are very kind and respectful but some are not. A few times they strapped me down to a bed, forcefully injected me with medication without any consent and a few different times held me in the hospital against my will when I wanted to leave under what's called a section 12 in my area.Definetly not some of my best memories or times and not my proudest moment in life.I also think it really depends from person to person and there individual situation and of coarse the way a person is acting and behaving in the hospital and also the reason why they are there in the first place. In general there good for saving your life if you need medical help but other then that like for mental health issues or drug problems they do not fucking help in any way and will just try to hold you against your will trust me I've fought security at several different hospitals and have been so out of control at times they have had to call the police because security and nurses and docters couldn't even handle me I was acting so violent so I guess FUCK EM ALL haha