• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Have recreational drugs benefited your life at all?

Hal_1ncandenza

Bluelighter
I look back at my long history of drug use (and misuse) and sometimes wonder if it was all a net positive. It's hard to say exactly.

The first drug I ever took was MDMA, and it woke me up from a general complacency and malaise and came at a critical point in my adolescence that made me change the trajectory of my life, for better or worse.

Psychedelic such as 2C-E/I and LSD helped me break through psychological pain and ruts I was in, but it also stirred up trauma that I'd buried--maybe it should have stayed buried? They were also the source of two (real) near-death experiences that were pretty terrifying for myself and those close to me.

Stimulants pushed me out of my comfort zone and into new scenes, gave me a social awareness, made me more confident, and also led me into quite a bit of trouble and eventually a nervous breakdown.

Dissociatives broke the spell of depression that followed my stimulant-induced breakdown, and, ironically, made me more social again. But I didn't get much done when I was doing them habitually.

Nowadays I'm pretty even-keel emotionally/professionally etc., which is nice, but it makes me nostalgic for the cold blooded old times.

I'm sure if you're on this site you have an opinion either way...

They have given me interesting experiences the first few goes but extended use of any of them has led to negative consequences in every case. So no net benefit at all.

Even though I was strung out from 16 yo to 44yo shootin coke and dope with 24 trips to the county lockup I wouldn’t change a thing cause I’m 55 now and I lik3 who I am and I know for a fact I wouldn’t be like I am if I didn’t live my life like I have....

Oh yeah. It started with Cannabis, 16 years long just Cannabis. Then a lot of other substances came, mostly just once.

What I'm into is Benzos and Coca.

Yes, it has undoubtedly benefited my life - except for when it hasn't...

I sometimes feel drug binges leave me with moments of extreme insight and clarity into the nature of the world - like I see how all the bullshit works super clearly. I get that feeling from psychedelics and stimulants. However it’s probably happier, healthier and safer to live in ignorance.

yes they have.
i can see more than i was taught to see or encouraged to.
no judgements as i do not wanna be judged.
using has opened doors never dreamed of... that i can remember off the top og my head.
they have both threatened and saved my life and others.
using has taught me a bit of pharmacology (here mostly) and i understand more of this than average joe and have in fact prevented mfs from acquiring *fake substances a few times and this may have led to a death or three being avoided... who knows?
i can go on
there is of course a downside
not on that atm so gonna bounce
peace

Yes, net positive, but only because of psychedelics. Psychedelics were the catalyst for basically the whole course of my life and mindset and feeling of place in the world, and the change was certainly positive, though not always easy (I spent years wishing I was still asleep but I no longer feel that way). Marijuana sort of countts in there too, I'd say it's been neutral, neither bad or good (other than fun times).

Every other drug has been a net negative though, opiates, alcohol, and stimulants have brought me more pain and hardship and health costs than they have brought me positive effects.