• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Has suboxone ever just stopped working for you?

GbizzleMcGrizzle

Bluelighter
So this is kinda weird but Suboxone has stopped working for me. So I get really sick when W/Ding poop myself and vomit and dry heave endlessly, plus everything else. You would think i would never want to go through something like that again but apparently i do. Anyway a while ago i went to jail for some tickets i didn't deal with and i snuck in like 20 Suboxone (because i'm super paranoid about going to jail all the time i always have a stash) I was there for 5 days until i got bailed out, and I waited about 48 hours and started to take the subs and they did nothing I kept taking them and taking them there was so relief full on W/Ds Vomiting pooping myself hallucinating (thought i was watching tv on my phone in my cell)
This has never happened before I usually start taking them after 2 days feel a bit better and by day 5 or 6 I'm pretty good. I finally had to get on methadone maintenance but I really hate it because i know what methadone W/Ds are like and how long they last and 100mgs doesn't hold me all day like an 8mg Suboxone used to. Anyway I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen.
Thanks

So how long after did u wait until u kept taking more? I ask because You probably went through precipitated WDs because its basically impossible for subs to just not work - especially when they have worked for u in the past. but it is possible it didn't take away all of your symptoms - its only a partial agonist. When i first took subs it took like 3 days of using it to feel any slight feeling of normalcy. and then i continued to stay on them.

i get what you're saying but they weren't precipitated withdrawals, certainly not after 5 days. and they should have taken away the worst of the symptoms ie shitting myself and endless vomiting/ dry heaving. i never expect to feel normal for at lest a month. but to answer your question (and i could be a bit off it was a while ago) after 48hrs i took 8mg then about 2hrs later another 8mg then after 8ish hours another 8 then i took 8mg about every 6 hours or so until day 5. I've been taking Suboxone for years I know how they work and what to expect from them . but this was really odd because I got no relief from them (I drove home with my pants full of poo, and my head out the window at <20mph.

THe only time this happened to me was when they switched me from the white generic subs to the Pink ones. After 3-4 days I started feeling weird. Almost like half withdrawals. I thought it was something else and didn't realize the pink ones were the cause of this.. I switched to the strips and didn't have a problem.. There is no reason unless there is something wrong with the meds that you should go into withdrawal while taking it...

In another sense subs stopped working the way they used to and made me feel numb and like shit. This was after being on them for 5 years.. I had to stop. I felt like shit.. Libido was taking a dive. No drive, tired lazy. Now I got some sober time but ended up using Lope for Paws and am hooked on Lope but I feel much better on maintenence doses of lope.. I'm talking 24 mg's to 60mgs not 200 plus like some people.. My libido is normal and I feel pretty good from it... During the summer I will try to get off the lope but I have a feeling it may take some time to get completely off opiates..Its unfortunate because I feel sober and normal on the lope but when I'm off opiates I'm cold and lazy all the time.. I can't function so I end up going back to low doses of lope.. It really works great for Paws but you need to take it only once or twice a week to avoid dependence.

Yea unfortunatley my libido sucks no matter what i'm using whether i'm strung out or on subs or methadone. it really sucks I wish there was a pill to increase your libido... maybe testasterone shots, ive thought about asking a drabout them

I've read this a few times but been on Suboxone many times and never had problems. The longest I've used just Suboxone was about a year and went from 24MG to 4MG before slipping up and going back to dope.

over the last 5 months I've been sober/Suboxone and went from 16MG and now to 8MG and feel great; I actually feel better on 8MG than I did on 16MG.

what I have noticed is that a high dosage becomes unnecessary after a bit and you are better off going to a lower dosage if you feel "safe" and the drug is working for you; it actually works better as you slowly decrease overtime. there is no need to rush but a good example is the 16MG to 8MG I recently have done over 5 months. I went from 16MG to 8MG over the course of 2 weeks and felt little to no WD; I actually feel much better on 8MG than I did on the 16MG.

btw, if you are from the Manhattan area there are rumors of fake Suboxone going around; someone in my Suboxone "class" mentioned something about a friend going through a similar problem and then he got different Suboxone from the friend and everything was OK again, so not sure where you are getting your bupe from but keep that in mind.

Suboxone is a GREAT drug and has TRULY saved my life; I am NOT saying mentioned does not work but it surly did not work for me and have noticed many continue to use on methadone; Suboxone has been great w/ me and I have not touched dope in close to 5 months now. it may not seem long but if you saw the life I was living compared to where I am now you'd think I hit the lottery for millions, ha.

I agree with Boston .. i dont see how it would just not work if it was real. i was on suboxone tablets for 2 years doing only 1mg every 24 hours. i actually really enjoyed it at this dose and kinda looked forward to dosing every morning. it made me feel all warm and fuzzy for like 4 hours after dosing. and after that i felt fine until my next dose.. actually i would feel fine unless i missed my dose by like 4-6 hours. i think less is more with bupe. if u do more.. the antagonist effects become more pronounced. at 1mg doses, its basically just a agonist

Lol. Oh shit. I wish I hadn't read this! I had read somewhere someone said they stopped working and this has become my biggest phobia! I'm going to have to go with the they were street fakes?

Could it be they were over a year old? I've read that the shelf-life (not to be confused with half-life) is actually only about a year with buprenorphine, after which point it degrades pretty quickly I believe. I'm not sure if this is true; it's just what I read somewhere once.

nope.. they last pretty good.. i had a stash of like 40 pills they lasted over a year with no noticable drop in potency.. keep them cool out of the sun and airtight

THe pills I took were prescribed from the pharmacy and were not fakes. They were the pink or peach generic suboxones. They basically put me into withdrawal. I switched back to the strips and had no issues. These pills also gave me a neverending tension headache. It felt like someone was pushing in my temples. I had crawling skin and an extreme apathetic numb sensation with my body and mind.

So just because it comes from the pharmacy doesn't mean the potency is correct.. They tried to tell me its because of the new dye in the pill that I had a bad reaction. I don't buy that for one second. There was something wrong with either the way they made the bupe or the pill itself. I even tried shooting some which gave short relief. The strange part was it felt like I had half of the withdrawal symptoms but didn't have that yawning, dragging ass feeling but had crawling skin and terrible anxiety...

I was taking only subs at the time so there was nothing else that could have been causing it.

When I was on methadone...I got sick every single day by 4pm. Pacing the floors all night, until 5am...even riding a bike for hours in the middle of the night because my legs felt better if I did...omg it was horrible. I should've been split dosing I'm an abberent (sp?) metabolizer and they knew that from blood tests.

My levels were so low in the morning they (the clinic) questioned if I was swallowing it. I went through a lot of bullshit...:! I was so frustrated....anyway, OP I know things like that happen for a fact. Jesus...it is horrible to go through. I know you are upset about methadone...but, a way to get off of it, is to switch to another opiate. Its a long story, but the clinic referred me to a chronic pain Dr...and I went on OxyContin. After a few months of taking that...if you want to, I mean, maybe go inpatient to detox.

It never really stopped working for me completely but the more times I jumped between sub and heroin the longer it would take for the sub to take the sick away. It got to the point where it would take me 3 days to reinduct on the sub after a brief heroin run.

What happened during those first three days? Did you feel it working at all? Or were you in full blown withdrawal for the first three days?

crimson, yes i had the same thing happen to me.. i would use sub on the days i couldnt get H.. and it basically stopped working for the first 3 days it did nothing at all.. possibly even made things worse. full blown withdrawal. no comfort at all from the sub.. but on the 4th or 3rd day.. boom.. the sub would hit me and id feel pretty good. it got to the point that i would not use sub until day 4. on the morning of day 4 id take my first sub dose, and then id feel it an hour later.. i wouldnt even bother with subs before then.. even then.. it would take a few more days until i was fully comfortable on the sub. but after day 3 or 4 it starts to help

Where you guys tolerances really high? How many times did you jump back and forth do you think?

what made you keep trying the suboxone? I would assume after a day or two of it not working that it just didn't work. It's good you stuck with it.

how did you make it through the full blown withdrawals waiting for the suboxone to take effect?

this went on for years.. i was doing about a gram a day of H during that time. so yeah my tolerance was very high. i can't really count how many times i jumped between H and sub. probably more than 50.

Thanks for the response. is it possible that it isn't that the suboxone didn't work as well because you jumped back and forth, but instead that since it is only a partial agonist, it just can't keep up with huge heroin habits so it takes several days for the tolerance to heroin to go down far enough to a point where the agonist properties of suboxone can kick in?

i can't think of any other reason and I have hear that explanation and it makes sense to me. I have read of people with high tolerances tapering down very a period of a couple weeks before getting back on suboxone and that working well. Also suboxone has some sort of ceiling effect I have heard and maybe that limits it.

But still, you would think for those three days the suboxone would do something, maybe help a little? Is it possible it did and you just were in bad enough withdrawals that you didn't realize it? And it would have been worse without the suboxone.

or, lastly, did it put you in precipitated withdrawal and that took days to go away? I'm sorry I'm being so annoying here. Like I said, I read stuff like this and scare myself out of taking it and I really need and want to get back on it and stable. So I am sorry to harp at this so much. Just a phobia of mind and since so much of this is mental, I need to get my mind in the right state, believing I will succeed.

no i came to the same conclusion. my tolerance was so high that it took a few days to get down to the point that sub had any effect. i never used more than 8mg. dont see any benefit to taking more than that.. im quite confident that u are right about the very high tolerance.. cuz at that point i wasnt even getting high on H.. all it did was kept mew well enough to somewhat function and work..

i wouldnt worry too much about going on sub.. just wait a few days before dosing.. even after all that H, sub helpe me stay clean for a year. i used 1mg every 24 hours after my tolerance was low enuf, and it kept me happy and clean. its great stuff if u cant stay clean without it.,.