• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery has god helped you?

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
So i've been clean for not that long now except for today I guess would you call alcohol a drug? and a lot of the times where i've felt like using i've prayed and everytime i've got through that prayer I didn't use, like some higher power but even higher like a drug high but not a drug high it's hard to explain.

ok so today I slipped up because of the conara NO YOU CAN'T USE THE CONARA VIRUS AS AN EXCUSE but is it even a drug alcohol? NO THERE GOES YOU'RE HEAD AGAIN TRYING TO MAKE OUT IT'S NOT A DRUG. i know it's a drug but i always use it as an excuse.

but god has helped me, has anyone else had god help them?

You do realise that any 'higher power' that comes to your aid is actually your own inner strength?

Don't give the big guy that doesn't exist all the credit...
And what is the source of that "inner strength"? Magic in your brain?

Yes he has! When I was drunk and sick as a dog, I cried out for him literally. A week later I was in the VA rehab. I WANTED to get better. I know this is kinda old thread but I had to comment. Now I'm coming up in 2 years clean and loving life again. Believe God or not. Your choice....Im saying I do.

So i've been clean for not that long now except for today I guess would you call alcohol a drug? and a lot of the times where i've felt like using i've prayed and everytime i've got through that prayer I didn't use, like some higher power but even higher like a drug high but not a drug high it's hard to explain.

ok so today I slipped up because of the conara NO YOU CAN'T USE THE CONARA VIRUS AS AN EXCUSE but is it even a drug alcohol? NO THERE GOES YOU'RE HEAD AGAIN TRYING TO MAKE OUT IT'S NOT A DRUG. i know it's a drug but i always use it as an excuse.

but god has helped me, has anyone else had god help them?
No cause I won’t let Him I think I know everything and I don’t I run my life right into the ground and blame Him for everything. What’s the point in living if you don’t even respect the one that created you?

Yea, to believe there is something greater than myself gives me tons of hope and positive feeling, and allows me to see life with meaning, rather than "we are monkeys and we like to feel pleasure, so drugs is good".

I wont say for sure that it was god, or my belief that got me off opiates but my quitting and my belief certainly coincided.

The way I see it, we as humans are sort of becoming gods with all of our tech, but who could give birth to gods if not for another god? When we create a virtual reality universe/system, then that is the birth of a new god, that's my theory anyway.
I also think that the universe is made of thought, or consciousness and that the physical aspect of reality is like, the manifestation of that thought, or something like that

I’ve never understood the few people that see a post about God, don’t believe in him and jump in trying to prove their intellectual prowess by doing their best to disprove it. Humbleness can take you a long way and if you choose to not believe that’s great I support you but why are you here? That’s like showing up to the wrong class on the first day and arguing with the instructor of why their class is shit.

hHLdTbh.png

Maddy MC Kane Lives!

And what is the source of that "inner strength"? Magic in your brain?

What is the source of your thoughts? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your emotions? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your memories? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your God? Magic in the sky?

Anyway OP - if you are one of the lucky ones who respond well to a spiritual approach to recovery than you should try the 12 steps. It didn't work for me personally, though I really, really tried, but anything that gives you strength to resist temptation and fight the good fight is worth pursuing with everything you've got.

Whether or not alcohol is a drug is not a question or matter of opinion. It's not like sugar, where there's a strong case to be made for and against classifying it as a drug. Alcohol is a drug. That's just an undeniable fact. Our culture frames it otherwise, but there is unanimous agreement in every scientific field - addiction treatment, doctors, neuroscientists, biologists - that alcohol is a drug. However, bear in mind that calling something a drug doesn't necessarily condemn it. Was alcohol your primary drug of choice? It wasn't clear from your post what you're actually trying to recover from.

What is the source of your thoughts? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your emotions? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your memories? Magic in your brain?

What's the source of your God? Magic in the sky?
Didn't mean that in a condescending way. Just that reductionist and materialist views do break down eventually.

as far as i can see reductionist and materialist views only break down if preexisting biases cause you to lack imagination about the wonders of nature.

if a conception of and belief in god has helped people in recovery, great. its not the only way. i've started studying buddhism and am getting a lot out of that, i can't do the suspension of disbelief required by theistic religions.

Didn't mean that in a condescending way. Just that reductionist and materialist views do break down eventually.

God just abstracts the reductionism, it doesn't solve it. Answering "Nothing" or "God" to the question "What is the source of X" is practically the same answer in terms of actual information being conveyed rationally.

I think people much smarter already saw me coming and going before I was even born. I'm not even a footnote. Just more shit to average. So if you ask me do I believe in God, I say sure, I'm positive absolute sure, but it doesn't fucking matter anyway.

Alcohol is a drug. Like any drug depends if you have a problem with it. Alcohol is probably the least harmful drug at normal levels (few drinks a week), however the most harmful drug at abuse levels (20+ drinks a day, even 10 a day is very bad). Don't think God would be mad if you were on the good end of the spectrum. If you are on the bad side of the spectrum God will be mad. Or you just may be so drunk you ruin your own life. Who knows.

I like to think he is answering me. And do believe.

I heard one of the old-timers at a meeting last year say "God doesn't keep me stay clean; I keep me clean."

God don't give a fūck. He is busy tending to the garden of Eden. This garden of Eden is free of pot.