• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Has Anyone Used Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin) to Treat OCD?

azstar

Greenlighter
Has anyone used psilocybin or magic mushrooms to treat their OCD?

I am a journalist and I'm writing a story about people who have used psilocybin/magic mushrooms to treat their OCD.

If you would like to share your experiences with taking psilocybin/magic mushrooms for the treatment of OCD, please email me at [email protected]. At that point I can either set up a phone meeting with you or send you a list of questions by email. I will of course keep your identity entirely anonymous if you would like.

A few things to note:
* Even if I were a narc, emailing me wouldn't get you into any sort of legal trouble. It's only illegal to posses or sell drugs, not to have taken them.
* If you have used psilocybin or magic mushrooms to treat your OCD, it would be awesome if you were willing to share. There is increasing interest in psilocybin, but almost nothing has been written about people taking psilocybin outside of a research trial.
* Sharing your experiences will potentially help others who are struggling with OCD.
* Media attention on the therapeutic uses of psilocybin may eventually help to make it more accessible to everyone, including you.

Good luck! I really see a huge potential in mushrooms curing OCD. The dose needed is actually not even so high that you will trip (many people don't know this). Most people are just too scared of mushrooms, but have total faith in SSRI's *sigh*.

I don't have OCD "unfortunately"

PM me your story when your done though :)

I don't know anything about research in this field but I have to say that I find it strange that mushrooms, a rather anxiogenic psychedelic IME, could ameliorate symptoms of an anxiety disorder. If anyone has any available research, please post!

Hmmm, I find mushrooms can be anxiogenic or anxiolytic depending on the dosage. Low dose mushrooms are extremely effective in eliminating OCD symptoms in my experience, and are quite anxiolytic. Higher dose mushrooms tends to make me tense though.

I dont see how mushrooms could ever be used medically. I couldnt live a productive life always being in shrooms. and forget driving anywhere, operating machinery, taking care of children, remembering anything, cooking any sort of decent meal. I tried grilling a steak on shrooms before, went inside and sat on the couch, and jumped up an hour later " oh fuck that steak" but it was far too late. im just glad the grill was on low or I couldve had a fire. exactly what you dont want on shrooms, a potential disaster with you being responsible for making sure that disaster doesnt happen

Well I'm diagnosed with OCD and I use a good amount of psychedelics.

Honestly since I didn't start using until I was older, most of my symptoms were dealt with at a younger age with extensive work with many many doctors. (not just for OCD, I've been diagnosed a few other things too)

I certainly think about things in a far different way than I used to, and putting yourself in bizarre and extreme scenarios and learning how to deal with them can definitely aid in dealing with the every day world, especially when it comes to my little OCD tendencies. I guess what I'm trying to say, and doing bad job of it, is once you've immersed yourself in psychedelia there comes a point where you realise doing little weird OCD things like eating a selection of food in a specific order or rotation, is just pointless and silly. Whatever it is that's out there, is a lot more terrifying than germs :p

I dunno, it's a hard question to answer as I've never set out to take any of these drugs to fix any specific problem. In fact all the problems I thought I had before, I came to realise were just eccentric parts of my personality, and the things I didn't even notice were my actual problems.

I hope this post made sense. It's my day off, I am toasted.

PS shimazu there is a John Hopkins study that show mushrooms can influence personality change from a single dose, I don't think anyone would ever suggest you eat mushrooms every day like you would anti-depressants or whatever. The idea is trip balls on the shrooms, confront your mind, bring back the knowledge and then apply it whilst sober.

This would be amazing if mushrooms actually did work for ocd, as i've had it my whole life including horrible tics that i cannot get rid of for the life of me. I've taken mushrooms about 4 or 5 times total in my life but i can't remember if it helped my ocd and tics or not.

I think i am going to experiment with this to see if it really does indeed work. Does anybody think something like 4-aco-dmt or 4-ho-mipt would do the same thing?

I don't have any personal experience with mushrooms and OCD but incidentally a good friend of mine had really bad OCD for two years where every night before he went to bed he would have a two hour ritual that if he didn't do he believed him and his family would be harmed or something. He claimed that after using PCP this ritual went away which I thought was really remarkable because PCP is supposedly the most neurotoxic of recreational dissociatives and that's what has always stopped me from being interested in it.

Mushrooms definitely put ocd into remission. And i've seen it happen with lots of people as well.

I don't have any personal experience with mushrooms and OCD but incidentally a good friend of mine had really bad OCD for two years where every night before he went to bed he would have a two hour ritual that if he didn't do he believed him and his family would be harmed or something. He claimed that after using PCP this ritual went away which I thought was really remarkable because PCP is supposedly the most neurotoxic of recreational dissociatives and that's what has always stopped me from being interested in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMDA_receptor

Links on the Connection Between Psilocybin and OCD

Here are a few links that talk about the therapeutic potential of psilocybin/magic mushrooms:

A 1999 Article from the American Journal of Psychiatry: http://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=1204
A 2009 NY Times Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/science/12psychedelics.html
A 2006 Study on OCD and Psilocybin: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17196053

Again, please email me at [email protected] if you'd like to be interviewed!

Thanks!

This would be amazing if mushrooms actually did work for ocd, as i've had it my whole life including horrible tics that i cannot get rid of for the life of me. I've taken mushrooms about 4 or 5 times total in my life but i can't remember if it helped my ocd and tics or not.

I think i am going to experiment with this to see if it really does indeed work. Does anybody think something like 4-aco-dmt or 4-ho-mipt would do the same thing?

Yes, 4-AcO-DMT in particular has been helpful for me in understanding certain aspects of my behaviour and thought patterns. They are no automatic cure, but can open up pathways to new ways of thinking. But IME if psychedelics are going to be of any help with some mental issues, you have to focus very much on yourself, your problems, making the trip introspective and not especially recreational. Psychedelics don't automatically do anything for you.

4-AcO-DMT has the advantage over many other psychedelics in this regards because it is so sedative you don't have any urge to move around or do much. You can focus on the things in your mind that are important to you without being distracted by e.g. an energetic bodyload. It can become too sedating at high doses though. 4-HO-MiPT, for me, wouldn't be as effective for introspective tripping. I find it's too energetic which makes me a bit nervous all the time.

I will not advocate or tell you what to take. But, IME, 4-AcO-DPT/4-HO-DPT has been the best psychedelic I've ever tried for introspectivenesss and understanding myself.

Last edited:
I dont see how mushrooms could ever be used medically. I couldnt live a productive life always being in shrooms. and forget driving anywhere, operating machinery, taking care of children, remembering anything, cooking any sort of decent meal. I tried grilling a steak on shrooms before, went inside and sat on the couch, and jumped up an hour later " oh fuck that steak" but it was far too late. im just glad the grill was on low or I couldve had a fire. exactly what you dont want on shrooms, a potential disaster with you being responsible for making sure that disaster doesnt happen

I think the idea is: The theopeaudic amount to help OCD wouldent get you tripping.
It would be a small, consistent dose. Not something that makes you trip balls.

This is not how psychedelics are used therapeutically. They aren't used everyday, but every now and then, like therapy sessions.

It is not a small, consistent dose either. It's impossible practically too because of tolerance. The idea is not to be tripping all the time.

Part (or most) of the issue is confronting the issue, whatever it is. The idea is to, essentially, shock the mind into changing. For better or worse--that depends on set and setting, or preparation.

Preparation is the No. 1 factor for any kind of drug use, and more generally, life. If you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting into, you will be fine. If you are taking a risk, like many people do in this regard, then you should understand that there could be lasting consequences,many of which you may not even be able to consider at this time.

That was just a disclaimer. Prepare FULLY, and mind altering agents will very likely produce whatever you set to achieve!

Mushrooms absolutely helped me overcome some severe OCD tendencies. I used to do things like vacuuming my room 5x a day, if I would walk by a candy wrapper on the ground that was trash I would be compelled to pick it up and read the package, for fear I would regret not doing so later.

Psilocybin shroomies helped a lot in the sense that it put a lot of things into perspective. Realizing things that are important (love, friendship, health, work) and things that are not so important (candy wrappers on the ground, lol). It really just helps you dig through that big heap in your soul we call the unconscious. You can then get to the real root of what is causing these issues for you, and deal with them accordingly. As they say, it only opens the door....

I wish you health & happiness always brother.

Oh, and my understanding of the therapeutic usage of psilocybin (or similar) compounds, was that at therapeutic dosages, tolerance is minimal or non-existent, so regular dosing would regulate neurotransmitters and what not. That might be beneficial, in fact I'm positive that it can be in the right clinical setting. But the psychedelic therapy, like a big slap-in-the-face experience to deal with the issue, is a very different treatment. It will also affect neurotransmitters, but whether the changes become permanent depends more on mental preparation than on the actual usage.

Think of it as a tool afforded to you, in order to help to overcome the issue. The only way to successfully achieve your goal is to learn everything there is to know about said instrument, and use it appropriately to achieve that goal. No one knows how an experience like this would affect any given person-the only assumptions you can make are regarding how such an experience will affect you.

And, again, that's not a certainty. If you are ready, then proceed carefully. But don't let others indirectly make this kind of decision for you. Psychedelics require a "healthy" state of mind to be good. "healthy" does not mean perfect, or normal, necessarily. To me, healthy means simply Prepared.

I have very severe tourette syndrome (I have uncontrollable, compulsive tics that rotate through different muscle clusters every 5-10 seconds, I probably have anywhere in the neighborhood of 100+ tics throughout my body). I've actually developed pretty painful tendinitis as a result of a tic involving my pinky.

All psychedelics, mushrooms included, have tended to exacerbate my tics tremendously, especially during the comedown. But, my experiences might be unique, so go ahead and give it a chance. Psychedelics haven't produced any longterm changes in my tic patterns or frequency.

^ tourettes eh? I will try to pass less judgement when I see all your angry posts on this site from now on.