• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Has anyone had any experience with drug induced psychosis?

mia-meow

Greenlighter
My best friend recently came back from a festival tripping his nuts off from some acid he took. After he had not slept for 2 days and was still unaware of who he was or what he was doing, we decided he needed to go to hospital. From there he was sectioned and taken to a Mental Hospital for a week or so. They gave him some sedatives and this made him less manic. His mum is against giving people drugs against their will so after lots of meetings and battling with the consultants, she managed to get him back home. It's now 2 weeks after he took the acid and he is still tripping hard.
My question is- does anyone else have experience with drug induced psychosis? I've read that it can last for weeks / months. I hope it's not permanent, I miss my friend.

Drug psychosis usually lasts less than 2 weeks. Its important to realize that the medications given can have severe side effects that can mimick psychosis, in 2-4 weeks the medications should be discontinued and his sober state re-assesssed, sooner if there's marked improvement.

well it is rare but acid can cause a severe psychosis that is permanent :/ I know a guy who did A LOT of acid in the 80's, he doesn't do it anymore but the last time I saw him he was carrying a random plant in a plastic bag and talking to it... I had psychosis from Datura, but it lasted 2 days so I really don't know how long his psychosis will last...

A friend of mine developed schizophrenia from taking acid as a young twenty-something. However, he was also genetically predisposed to the condition (two of his siblings also developed it, years after him). So depending on your friend's age, and his family's mental health history, its possible that the acid could have triggered something. Or not.

I tripped for 7 months from one huge dose of LSD. Im pretty sure it was drug induced psychosis or HPPD. Are they related? I didn't lose touch with who I was besides during the initial experience. I came down and it didn't begin again for about a week. Then I descended into tripped out version of myself for months. I was severely dissociated and disconnected, but I knew who I was. It was not the goofy laughing tripping version it was the paranoid and delusional anxiety ridden version. I had cat scans and the whole 9 yards. Very obvious physical psychosomatic symptoms. I felt like everything was connected to me, and happening because of me. Huge tracers and afterimages that would take up my whole vision. I wasn't using any other drugs or drinking alcohol during the 7 months. One beer would increase the effects 10 fold. It will go away eventually if you can ease your mind and get lots of sleep and good nutrition. I am basically unaffected by it now. The trauma lasted a long time and for 2 years I continued having flashbacks triggered by certain sounds or feelings.

You friend could have a dormant pre-existing condition. These drugs are medically documented to bring these conditions to the surface.

It is possible you friend has always had a predisposition to some mental disorder, and that that drug experience was the tipping point which cause his first psychotic break. Being at a festival with loud music, tons of people is a sensory overload as it is, adding a psychedelic just exacerbates the matter. This is just a possibility.

I have a book called "Psychedelic Drugs Reconsidered", in it there is documented cases of individuals who experienced similar effects as you describe your friend having. Every single one of those individuals returned to baseline after abstaining there drug use.

You guys did the right thing taking him to the hopsital, let a psychologist diagnose the issue. Hope you friend recovers soon.

I got a little psychoyic after smokin masssive amounts of fweeed daily for years on end. LSD and mushrooms though, have done nothng but good for my mental health. I believe marijuana would have done the same good had I not abused it. Tahts why these days I am no LSD and shrooms and anti weed.

LSD + shroom = all the good of marijuana minus addiction potential

My best friend recently came back from a festival tripping his nuts off from some acid he took. After he had not slept for 2 days and was still unaware of who he was or what he was doing, we decided he needed to go to hospital. From there he was sectioned and taken to a Mental Hospital for a week or so. They gave him some sedatives and this made him less manic. His mum is against giving people drugs against their will so after lots of meetings and battling with the consultants, she managed to get him back home. It's now 2 weeks after he took the acid and he is still tripping hard.
My question is- does anyone else have experience with drug induced psychosis? I've read that it can last for weeks / months. I hope it's not permanent, I miss my friend.

can last a while- mania eventually subsides, when the person can sleep properly they tend to land with a big fucking crash- i had the exact same thing happen to me except i stayed well clear of medical authorities as they aren't always that good for you and labels can follow you negatively into the future. eventually i came down and then went on antidepressants during the resulting crushing depression

give it time and have some patience and get him to steer clear of drugs big time

To the OP - yes, many times :\ Pretty much when I lose control and don't know when enough is really enough. One experience was so bad, 3+ days with no sleep and plenty of amp's I thought my friends were against me, even heard them saying things that they weren't. It made me so freaked out and took me about a year to trust them again :( I guess the best thing is to know your body, know your limits, and follow them! :)

~pharm_friendly~

Yes, almost precisely the same. The problem wasn't the drug induced psychosis itself, but the fact that the doctors treated it as a regular natural psychosis. Once I had caught up on sleep, and the drugs were gone from my system, I was fine apart from the fact that I was still being prescribed anti-psychotics, which made me not-fine! The thing is that I was never naturally psychotic in the first place. I was prescribed olanzapine and zimovane. After a month, I realized that the anti-psychotic drugs were the problem, and stopped taking them. After several days, and a few slight withdrawal symptoms, I was completely back to normal. The doctors wanted to keep me on them for a year! Never trust doctors when it comes to psychotic episodes from drugs. They will treat it as a regular psychosis and over medicate the person stupidly. It is an isolated incident, with a known cause of ingesting a drug, the drug has gone, he has caught up with sleep, there is no reason to be taking any anti-psychotics at all. He won't be back to normal until he does. Anti-psychotics are not benign at all, especially if you are not psychotic. Tell him to get off them as soon as possible, regardless of what the doctor says. They will never tell you anything other than what they know to be the regular course of medication. After one month I felt so depressed it isn't true, after a year, I can't imagine. Doctors are forced to do it all by the book, and to give the standard period of treatment. He is not a standard patient, but the doctors treat him as one. That's my experience, and my advice.

Last edited:
my best friend from childhood/high school lost it a few years back and is still wandering around arizona last i heard. i flew out and tried to get him to come back east but he was convinced i was working with the fbi to track him down and threatened, and later tried when i tried to call his bluff, to kill me. it's been a few years - like 7 or 8 - since he "shipped out''. we used to eat mushrooms and acid together, but he went hard for 2 or 3 weeks once and never quite made it back. fucking unfair how such a short term decision can have such lasting effects.

my best friend from childhood/high school lost it a few years back and is still wandering around arizona last i heard. i flew out and tried to get him to come back east but he was convinced i was working with the fbi to track him down and threatened, and later tried when i tried to call his bluff, to kill me. it's been a few years - like 7 or 8 - since he "shipped out''. we used to eat mushrooms and acid together, but he went hard for 2 or 3 weeks once and never quite made it back. fucking unfair how such a short term decision can have such lasting effects.

That doesn't sound like drug induced, but a latent psychological disorder which has surfaced. It would have been there anyway. Drug induced will go away over time or with drug abstinence.

one of my ex girlfriends got a serious drug induced psychosis about 10y ago.

we'd been smoking weed in really huge amounts (every day), over several years. maybe it's also got to do with weed getting stronger and stronger over the years (and more psychedelic).

quite suddenly, within 2 days, she developed all signs of her psychosis. first she thought there was someone in the attic and i had to check. then she thought to see people in the garden looking for here. she started confusing people with other people, made up conspicion theories and finally she screamed at everybody and suddenly did not recognize people (even me) anymore. that was really frightening and she spent 4 weeks in a mental hospital, where she got lot of medication (antipsychotics and sedatives) and other forms of therapy. finally she managed to get back to (quite) normal, but that took a couple of months and really kind of ruined her (and at that time also my) life.

we did not believe such stories until then and thought that weed was harmless kid's stuff.

lessons learned: i stopped consuming weed on a daily base and every now and then i take a complete break from drugs for some weeks. playing with your brain's chemistry can be incredibly dangerous when you don't know what you're doing.

playing with your brain's chemistry can be incredibly dangerous when you don't know what you're doing.

That's something that I've really come to realise now.

Thank you all for your input.

Just to confirm- he is home, he is not on any sedatives or anti-psychotics anymore because his mother is aware of how bad these can be. It's been two weeks since he took the drugs and he's still tripping out. He's hallucinating and also talks constantly about random things and sings songs. He's not paranoid or depressed, in fact it looks like he's having an amazing time to be honest!

I guess we just have to wait and see, it will probably be just a matter of time. I am very grateful of all of your responses- thank you all x

I guess we just have to wait and see, it will probably be just a matter of time.

btw: we've learned that healthy food and sports (believe it or not) really helped a lot to get her healthy again. although she had absolutely no motivation for going out of the house - i had to (not literally of course) kick her ass quite a lot...

all the best!

He's hallucinating and also talks constantly about random things and sings songs. He's not paranoid or depressed, in fact it looks like he's having an amazing time to be honest!

I guess we just have to wait and see, it will probably be just a matter of time. I am very grateful of all of your responses- thank you all x

sounds like mania- he will come down and be burned out then after that probably return to normal slowly

Sounds like what happened to Peter Green, I think most the time it stems from an underlying issue and the trip can unlock it unfortunately! Hope it works out in the end anyway!

yea, you might have a point. all i know is that he tripped for a few weeks straight and has never been the same. what can you say? these are powerful drugs for both positive and negative forces.

Chill...

Look I'm just going to help you completely here. You can take 500 tabs of lsd and maybe have some sort of disorder. In particular anxiety.
I'm experienced. For a week I SWORE that I couldnt think regularly. "I fucked myself up" "omg I'm schizophrenic" and I even started creating a schizophrenic persona (laughable to me now) I had no idea how/what schizophrenia really is. If I had this disease 1) I wouldn't be able to function well enough to even sign up and fill out a forum on this website. 2) As badly as my/your mind was/is wanting to to go crazy it's literally IMPOSSIBLE. Take a deep breath because here is what is going on.
You have created an anxiety monster out of this bad trip. Even a good trip (people worry they won't be able to see the beauty of life like they did again)... But this anxiety is SWEARING and completely convincing you that you are going crazy.. You're degenerating.. I cant distinguish reality from normal.. I want this to stop.. I'll never be normal.. Bla bla bla... This is ALL and really listen when I say this. This is ALL anxiety. You're fine.
What needs to happen now is you need to tell these thoughts that pop up "hmm, that's an interesting thought" almost like downplaying and ignoring a bully (the best way to defeat them). You'll laugh at yourself later I swear... But you need to see a therapist to help yourself battle this anxiety monster (he's MEAN and MORBID!) but it's defeatable and won't last any longer than a month if you stay clean, eat well, see a therapist, and get MEDICATION for the time being. The meds are temporary and needed because this is a chemical balance thing. Just like depression. I was sketched out by medications too. I didn't want to be able to be okay on meds, but "not" okay when I was off... This isn't the case here. This will help you have solid days and weaken your monster until your eyes and mind are clear again. Training wheels. Just trust me. You aren't schiz...You're having full blown anxiety. Again, you don't know what schizophrenia really is. You're probably scared to sleep/be alone too and you don't trust yourself.. Suicide comes to mind during these terrible thoughts. That's anxiety winning. That's probably why Kurt Cobain killed himself... Except his anxiety was a different beast...

Go to a doctor and grab an anti-anxiety medication and see a therapist. Therapy being the ultimate medication. Believe that. Since this is a mini/baby ptsd. It's really not even that. You're going to feel like you can run through a brick wall after this. You're battling your ultimate fear here. Losing sanity. It scared me too. But the fact that you feel like you're losing sanity shows that you aren't... Lol. laugh about this with yourself in a friendly manner.
Again, staying street drug free, exercise, eat well, therapy, breathing, "hmm, that's an interesting thought"/downplay and taking the thought and putting it into perspective, medication (temporarily), and TIME. Be easy on yourself and just... relax now. Breathe. You're okay! This is why you want to stay away from drugs. This is it. The anxiety. It makes you weak mentally on a deep level.
Anyways I just wanted to shine a light on what's going on. Seems like no one has a sound answer and confusion + fear is being spread foolishly on sights like these.
Anyways, take my advice and you'll be fine. Peace.

Last edited: