• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Has anybody had a flashback from psychedelics?

Has anybody had a psychedelic flashback?

• Total voters
Flashback to what? Childhood trauma, many times per day. Psychedelics, not to the state I was in but to memories of two very bad experiences.
The HPPD 'forever trip' "flashbacks" are extremely rare if non non-existent. People can sometimes have mild visual remnants from a trip, but the idea that you will be tripping forever is false. Even if you are schizophrenic, you will probably have periods of relative normalcy in between schizophrenic episodes.

There was one time I kept on coming out my body and it wouldn't go away when I hadn't took anything prior. I went to a&e because i thought I had lost the plot or it was psychosis or something. By the time they gave me diazepam it had got much better anyway.
I think it might have been triggered by too much alcohol/lack of sleep as had been out for most of the weekend, it was Sunday night, and I had been drinking way too much. I also took a big hit from the bong trying to make myself feel better as I was feeling really rough but I think this set it off even although I was used to smoking a lot.
I used to have outer body experiences as a kid though. I often get dissociation when I'm in situations I find anxiety inducing and I feel like I'm a spectator of the whole room or something (hard to explain) rather than from within myself it's not enjoyable and it's annoying when trying to concentrate. When my anxiety isn't as bad I can stay connected to my body.
I also had an outer body experiences while hugging someone and the person I was hugging said they also got catapulted up away in the sky out their body at the same time we went lol "woww did u feel that" the guy was paranoid schizophrenic and I freaked him out apparently, freaked me out a bit too.
Other than that I just have fond memories of tripping. On DMT I was hovering around the ceiling for a while before breaking through and I get that memory a lot but it's cool cause then I feel comforted too like the trip.

There was one time I kept on coming out my body and it wouldn't go away when I hadn't took anything prior. I went to a&e because i thought I had lost the plot or it was psychosis or something. By the time they gave me diazepam it had got much better anyway.
I think it might have been triggered by too much alcohol/lack of sleep as had been out for most of the weekend, it was Sunday night, and I had been drinking way too much. I also took a big hit from the bong trying to make myself feel better as I was feeling really rough but I think this set it off even although I was used to smoking a lot.
I used to have outer body experiences as a kid though. I often get dissociation when I'm in situations I find anxiety inducing and I feel like I'm a spectator of the whole room or something (hard to explain) rather than from within myself it's not enjoyable and it's annoying when trying to concentrate. When my anxiety isn't as bad I can stay connected to my body.
I also had an outer body experiences while hugging someone and the person I was hugging said they also got catapulted up away in the sky out their body at the same time we went lol "woww did u feel that" the guy was paranoid schizophrenic and I freaked him out apparently, freaked me out a bit too.
Other than that I just have fond memories of tripping. On DMT I was hovering around the ceiling for a while before breaking through and I get that memory a lot but it's cool cause then I feel comforted too like the trip.
That is likely dissociation. I get this too, but weirdly psychedelics actually help a lot with it for me. It is generally caused by trauma, drug use, sleep deprivation, and/or other factors.

Flashbacks are described as a reiteration of the drug induced state you had without actual intoxication. It’s supposed to be common with psychedelics.

Flashback to what? Childhood trauma, many times per day. Psychedelics, not to the state I was in but to memories of two very bad experiences.
The HPPD 'forever trip' "flashbacks" are extremely rare if non non-existent. People can sometimes have mild visual remnants from a trip, but the idea that you will be tripping forever is false. Even if you are schizophrenic, you will probably have periods of relative normalcy in between schizophrenic episodes.
This is accurate.

I've had it all including hppd and drug induced schizophrenia from extreme psychedelic use. Both faded with time and none of it is anything like what pop culture thinks flashbacks are like.

I will sometimes see or hear something and then vividly recall trips but this is nothing more than fond memories and not a "flashback".

The closest thing to flashbacks I have are hypnagogic CEV hallucinations, but this is simply due to their similarities with psychedelic hallucinations, result of drug use and not a flashback. They can be very psychedelic, though.

I'm doubtful if flashbacks even exist, as they are described. Overactive imagination or potential mental illness?

I have had mushroom-like flashbacks.

Although they're not usually scary and my mindstate doesn't change during it at all.

I remember my first time doing mushrooms at 16. I watched everything twist & distort and watched my buddies trailer walls look like they were "breathing".
Every once in awhile, I'll still see this breathing effect, if I zone out long enough on certain surfaces & stuff. But it doesn't bother me at all.

Now does anyone know if Disso flashbacks are a thing???
I've had profound (like out of body, near-death type of shit) dextromethorphan w/ cannabis trips and every once in awhile I will suddenly feel like I'm back in that 'hole' and "dying", but it usually only lasts a couple minutes. Probably just anxiety but it's very strange.

Most of my panic attacks usually involved me freaking out or getting super angry and crazy if I'm panicking (usually in social situations).
Where as these "other attacks" will literally be me just talking to some one or doing something & then suddenly feeling a strange sensation like I'm dying or my soul is about to be sucked out of my body. This usually leads to panic attacks, but they precede the panic attack, which is odd. Some times I lose the sensation of having a body during it too. Kind of like what happened to me on these 'profound' DXM trips years ago.

Last edited:
I remember my first time doing mushrooms at 16. I watched everything twist & distort and watched my buddies trailer walls look like they were "breathing".
Every once in awhile, I'll still see this breathing effect, if I zone out long enough on certain surfaces & stuff. But it doesn't bother me at all.
I think this is more HPPD? It happens to me too but I don't consider them a flashback myself

Now does anyone know if Disso flashbacks are a thing???
I've had profound (like out of body, near-death type of shit) dextromethorphan w/ cannabis trips and every once in awhile I will suddenly feel like I'm back in that 'hole' and "dying", but it usually only lasts a couple minutes. Probably just anxiety but it's very strange.

Most of my panic attacks usually involved me freaking out or getting super angry and crazy if I'm panicking (usually in social situations).
Where as these "other attacks" will literally be me just talking to some one or doing something & then suddenly feeling a strange sensation like I'm dying or my soul is about to be sucked out of my body. This usually leads to panic attacks, but they precede the panic attack, which is odd. Some times I lose the sensation of having a body during it too. Kind of like what happened to me on these 'profound' DXM trips years ago.
I would honestly expect DXM flashbacks to be far more likely than psychedelic "flashbacks" from personal experience. Haven't had a DXM flashback, but it feels far more damaging to my brain and it did permanently worsen my HPPD a decent bit.

You could also have a flashback, when a split second visual of a completely random moment of your past life suddenly appears in your mind, that may not have happened if you never took psychedelics. Unless everyone gets those anyway, they could also of course be the result of a drug other than a psychedelic.

I would honestly expect DXM flashbacks to be far more likely than psychedelic "flashbacks" from personal experience. Haven't had a DXM flashback, but it feels far more damaging to my brain and it did permanently worsen my HPPD a decent bit.
I've really wondered about this.

Disso's are kind of like psychedelics, but completely different. lol I look at psychedelics as more of the "drugs of the light" (makes things seem brighter, more beautiful, happy stuff) where as disso's are more like the drugs of death, that slowly shut down all your senses until your brain is forced to hallucinate something. There's an over all sense of 'darkness' with them too. And of course many people "die" on them (as in they lose touch with their body altogether and are either a vegetable for a bit or freak out like I did).

Surely some one could have 'flashbacks' of these trips, I would imagine.

Honestly, I rarely ever hallucinated things that "weren't there" on mushrooms either.
Whenever some one says they did shrooms or acid and saw "monsters" or "were chased" blah blah blah, I feel like they're exaggerating or straight up lying (maybe some one could Idk).
Cause I've only ever seen distortions & 3D-prism type colors around everything on shrooms or acid.

I've also seen full blown hallucinations on things like deleriants and DXM but they were always choppy, fragmented or some times I had to close my eyes to see it.

Last edited:
Nope but I've seen the future in dreams.i had a dream bout my back then gf* dancing and looking at me weird. I had the dream like 3 months before I even met her, the when we were dating for 2 months we went to this rave and I had bought MDMA but it was taking too long for her to come up so she redosed like e times....after like an hr she starts looking at me weird at me and whispers into my ear : " babe, I don't feel very well" and she was like fking stumbling around. I was like "SHITTTT, I've already dreamed bout this" then I started getting a lil bit paranoid since ir was her first time she prolly ate like 250mg mdma so she got dizzy as fk. I took her to the back of the tent, there was some couches lol she sat down there drinking fuck loads of water. I couldn't sit for more than 30 seconds, I WANTED TO DANCE. Eventually she got up and we stayed till 8am when the party died, then sex at my place and after she got asleep bang some opioids. Good times man. To this day I keep having these type of I've already experienced this in s dream kinds dejavus.

Never. To the contrary, psychedelic experiences can be more difficult to recall than other events, because the mindset is different from a sober mindset.

I've had a shared hallucination with my mother....

And a shared delusion/paranormal event with a friend of mine...

Both times I was on dxm and the other person wasn't.
Me and my friend were at my place getting drunk & stoned, sitting on my floor.
I was drying clothes I had just washed on my box fan. We were kind of down cause we really wanted heroin. So I did a bunch of DXM too.

Anyway, at one point we looked over and noticed my shorts on my box fan were moving incredibly rapidly, faster than it should have been with the air current coming from my fan.
We started laughing at looking at it and said something about how they looked like they were dancing. As soon as we said that, they stopped moving abruptly altogether. Which didn't seem to make sense & we both kind of were like wtf. And then I said "omg, something tells me (insert our heroin dealers name here) is gonna show up". And right after I said this, I got a text from my phone and sure enough it was our heroin dealer telling me to let him in.

He came in and we were both laughing and hysterical and he couldn't figure out was wrong with us. We tried to explain it to him but he was like 'whatever'. We could not figure out how my shorts were moving like that or how they just stopped like that either. Nor why I had the innate feeling that our heroin dealer was there.

Maybe all coincidence...
It was one of those 'had to be there' type of experiences and it was only one of a handful me and this friend both shared. Which made it feel stranger.

Not exactly flashbacks, but wild experiences at the least.

Last edited:
To the people saying flashbacks doesnt exist: yep, they exist.

I have had various. For example, 3-4 days without taking drugs. Im feeling 100% normal/baseline. Suddenly I start to have tracers, having all kind of visuals, colors changin everywhere to the point that is difficult to properly see what I have in front and impossible to read due the distortions and color mutations. The headspace, in my case is more normal that fucked up, but the visuals are extreme

This episode lasts a good 20-40 mins or more. It fades later. the first flashback was pretty scaring, as I was in the workplace... the others, I loved it

Last time I flashbacked, maybe 1 year ago. Total like 4-5 episodes

This reminded me of some sort of hallucinatory episode I had when I was younger. I was 15, had done a lot of hard drugs, DXM and weed already but I believe I had never used psychedelics before yet. I think my first shroom trip occured some months after this occured.

I had gone through a bottle of 90 ritalin pills in one 5 or so day binge, no sleep. I remember coming down and eating my first meal which gave me indigestion and stomach pain. Later, I remember laying in bed attempting to sleep and staring up at the ceiling when all of a sudden out of nowhere I start hallucinating wildly. I remember the shadows of every object in my room suddenly coming alive, stretching up towards the ceiling and becoming different objects like clowns and cacti that started dancing all over the place in rhythm. There were more hallucinations but that's the main part I remember. As soon as it came on, it stopped. It only lasted about 1-2 minutes as I recall. It reminds me of OEVs from a DMT trip, without the colors or fractals. I don't remember being scared or upset by it, simply like "WTF was that?". It definitely wasn't a dream, I was wide awake.

Very odd, and I still do not know what that was. A micro stim psychosis? Sleep deprivation hallucinations?

It never happened again, even through tons of stim binges and psychedelic use. Nothing like that ever again.

Weird memory.

Last edited:
Wait, you never had done psychedelics before but it reminded you of a DMT trip?

You mean it reminds you of it retrospectively?

Sleep deprivation hallucinations are no joke.

Day 5 is usually when they hit for me and I'll start seeing things that aren;t there.
The auditory hallucinations always start for me after about 3 days awake.

I once was up for awhile on adderall back in my early 20's and remember seeing a holographic, 1-2ft bipedal rat thing wearing weird armour and holding a weapon walk out of my closet, repeatedly. But it never stepped forward more than a few feet and seemed kind of stuck in motion.

Freaked me out so bad at first that I actually grabbed something and threw it at it.

Later in my late 20's, I was up after a 5 day meth binge and started seeing transparent legs/waists walking into my bedroom. Straight through the wall. No torso's, just the legs. Some even had on windbreaker pants. I knew then I had to go to sleep or it would get worse.

Sleep deprivation gives me some of the most realistic hallucinations.

Last edited: