Has any one in the US tried this defense for mdma....

I'll have to say I agree with you, David Nutt, the head of the study said that the chances of suffering from schizophrenia due to marijuana were very minute. While that is a drastically statment for pot, that is a more drastic statement for MDMA.

If David Nutt and his team of 40 scientists believe that pot isn't extremely harmful and they place it at #11 on the list, what does that mean for MDMA that is number 18?

I would guess the positive social benefits outweighs the negatives in their assessment.

While there is new research that is proving that marijuana use is not extremely armful, there is more compelling evidence for MDMA. This should not be a pot versus ecstasy debate. The news on both fronts as good, marijuana users would like to portray their drug as a "soft drug" while MDMA as a hard drug.

I understand the threat to be classified as a more dangerous drug then a so called hard drug. With the evidence available now, I do not think it should be pot VS. MDMA. I think both groups should work towards the end of prohibition based on perception. A fact based drug policy will benefit both parties.

There are schedual one substances in the US which are used medically in other countries, such as ketobromidone and diamorphine.

I don't see your defense holding water; if medically used substances are also listed. (including marijuana that has medical exemptions under US State laws in some states) how is your punishment for MDMA any more cruel or unusual then the others/

LOL This is a fucking pipe dream...Although I got busted with 6.7 grams MDMA and didnt do my mandatory 8

^

added to my post: how you do you propose to show its more cruel and unusual then charges for SchII drugs that are FDA approved in the US, like methamphetamine and oxycodone as examples?

I don't believe you have a defense; enjoy your cellmate.

^

added to my post: how you do you propose to show its more cruel and unusual then charges for SchII drugs that are FDA approved in the US, like methamphetamine and oxycodone as examples?

I don't believe you have a defense; enjoy your cellmate.

I don't even live in the US....

Well, knowing your jurisdiction really helps to answer legal questions, and I worked on a presumption of US law with most users of the site being there.

i'm guessing from your posts, your British?

i'm a canuk and we follow the same legal system as you more or less. (different specific laws though)

#1 Royal prerogative. The Crown can technically ascend any law it wants that doesn't contravene constitutional limitations. Your punishment for MDMA possession is no different then other crimes, and is considered not cruel or unusual.

#2 Your laws provide provide punishments for other drugs which have accepted medical status and use. Various opioids, psychomotor stimulants, CNS depressants, disassocatives used in anestesia, ect. They are considered safe enough to use in human beings and indeed, nessecary to do so for real health concerns, yet you can still be severly punished for non authorized possession of them. you are going to argue your MDMA, having no recognized use, is unpunishable in the face of medically used and approved substances? How do you see this being backed up? How will make an argument that the law does not equally apply to you and to MDMA, when it apply's to legally prescribable drug products? morphine has been shown to be non neurotoxic and generally only fatal in acute overdose, but is still tightly regulated.

I'm American but I live in Europe. This post was completely theoretical.