• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Harm Reduction - Where do we go from here?

This is a very difficult but necessary topic. Phase_Dancer you have some very well thought out ideas. I have been not surfing BL for a while now, and just randomly decided to check it out this morning and came across this stimulated thread. Now for some input.

There has been some very interesting points raised. The main issue I forsee is politians not wanted to be seen as weak agaisnt drugs, as the opersition party will just flog that till they win the next election with votes of scared parents. Which sucks, so the only way I forsee to acheive HR reform in this country or any country is to get the people on side, before attempting the politians, and to get the people on side, well at least the Today-Tonight, 60mins, ACA watching opinonless lemings on side is to convince the media.

Convincing the Media, you need whistleblowers for statistics that can sway the public to become aware. You need well presentable people with respectable credentials backing HARM REDUCTION, not PRO-DRUG/Pleasure. I agree with the above post you need a united well organised front. As I beleve little steps are great, but education of the people (especially the ignorant people) I believe needs to be a BIG step.

How this is initiated I have no idea. Normally such media interest comes about because of diaster, like the death at BDO. But I do not beleive someone needs to kill themselve (like that awesome movie about the denth sentence that I forget the name of) for this to happen.

It seems there are so many things that need to happen in unison for HR to occur in a big way. It is because the issue is coupled to so many different aspects of society.

Sorry if the above rapple is incoherent.

@ the book idead I believe this could be used as a resource to teach high-school kids about HR, if it is done properly and does not have a PRO-DRUG message. Its a fine line between BLOGS about HR and pro-drug, because how do you answer the obvious question of why do you take them anyway? which anyone buying the book or reading the book would ask?

@ the "(e.g. allowing a person who was carrying for friends to not be charged with the same kind of offense that a drug dealer would be)"
- I think this would be a great step. How it could come about is touchy as it could provide too many loopholes for crafty drug-dealer lawyers to get them off legitamite charges.

I think somehting needs to be done, as it was said above, ppl are taking drugs sooner and sooner (age) and education doesn't sift that low, it wasn't until i was 18ish that I started taking steps to understand drugs and to take my own HR, before that most ppl feel invicible. The message and resources need to be encouraged to a younger audience.

The goverment has taken some steps, like the parents talk to your kids about drugs thing it did last year. (t) by me at that one.

hmmm thats my 2c. I'm sure i'll ahve more to input. and also i have an interesting BLOG to add to the book if it starts coming together.

Great to get a wide range of views in here.

Just a point on HR / pleasure:

Harm reduction traditionally takes a neutral stance towards drug use, neither condemning nor condoning. I don't think this should change.

My comment before about pleasure was more a comment from a research perspective rather than as an advocate.

As a researcher I'm interested in what is actually happening, rather than just what we say is happening.

(edit: I *am* interested in what we say is happening... but also in understanding the forces that shape what we can/can't talk about)

For the very reasons you've all pointed out, we can't talk about pleasure as a motivation, because of the stigma attached to simply wanting something good for yourself when it comes to illegal drugs.

This means we can't talk accurately about our motivations for - say - gathering information about drugs. People talk about the usefulness of gathering information on drug related harms (but also, they are trying to get more information about how to maximise the positive aspects of their drug experience too).

But I completely agree with you all - "pro-drug" is not something Harm Reduction should go anywhere near. Anti-drug folks already believe HR = pro-drug.

Expothead's comment about "pro-choice" is interesting... "pro-drug", to me, means actually encouraging people to take up drugs or use them more or something like that. The pro-choice concept - makes me think of the abortion debate - is, I think, more aligned with HR as I understand it.

That is, if you choose to use drugs (even though we don't encourage you to do so), then you should have access to all the information you need to make wiser decisions and come to less harm.

Last edited:
That is, if you choose to use drugs (even though we don't encourage you to do so), then you should have access to all the information you need to make wiser decisions and come to less harm.

That is the answer to the question that everyone anti-drug will say, "why take drugs?" - So just like a well trained politian, just stay on message. Maybe there is some hope for HR in that statement.

Also, I wouldn't say I was necessarily promoting the pro-drug agenda, more pro-choice. (Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure I was thinking that we're bound to be confronted with the pro-drug comparison so why not take the bull by the horns.)

expothead i wasn't trying to imply that you were pro drugs, i was just using the word pleasure as an example. despite the fact that a lot of people do take drugs for (no other reason than) pleasure (in the broadest sense of the word) (including myself) this should be avoided. unforunately you are correct in saying that we are bound to be confronted with the pro drug camparision. however i think insted of taking the bull by the horns we must compleltly distance ourself from the pro drug agenda completley otherwise the HR movement is liable to get the horns itself. in the world (espically the political world) perception is often more important than fact. the HR movement can not at all be seen to be pro drugs, instead it is realistic enough to know that regardless of however draconian the prohibition laws may be, people are still going to use drugs, therefore the first prioity must be to make sure that this is done as safely as possible.

so the only way I forsee to acheive HR reform in this country or any country is to get the people on side, before attempting the politians, and to get the people on side, well at least the Today-Tonight, 60mins, ACA watching opinonless lemings on side is to convince the media.

i agree that the media has a role to play in achieving HR reform. however i would avoid contemporary current affairs shows (tt, aca, 60mins) like the plague. these shows are/would not, be capable of presenting a balanced view of any issue relating to drugs. it would be to easy for them, and beneficial in the ratings for them, to play the drugs are the devil card, that by informing kids of drug safety is encouraging them, by pointing out 'bad pills' (such as ones adulterated with pma) implies that there are such things as good pills, etc, etc etc. i would also envisage that any interview ,for example, that an HR adovcate may give would be edited to suit their own agenda. The only way that HR can make some public traction through the media is if it is guanteed that the report/interview is balanced and rational and free of any emotional maniupulation (by the media). for example media that should be used would be shows such as abc's lateline & 7.30 report, not only do they report things with balance, their captive audience (espically lateline) is very much the 'political class' (any politician worth their salt watches lateline reguraly) that ultimately needs to swing behind the HR movement for any chance of successful reform. If looking for some more mainstream media options shows such as sunrise and kerry anne would provide good oportunities to prevent a well balanced argument without been overly manipulated. in terms of newspapers that would present a balanced view (i can only speak for the sydney press), the daliy telegraph should be avoided. it is to simplistic, and will without hesitation deride HR as pro drug in disguise to appeal to the bias' of its reader base. The Australian should also be avoided, not because it would over simplify but rather it would attempt to validate its own readers perspective (generally right of center) by disproving the merits of the HR ideals. This leaves the sydney morning herald as probaly the best (and only) meida outlet (in sydney) that could be trusted to deal impartially with the HR movement. (although i do remember reading a couple of articles in the melbourne age that dealt with drugs and did so in a very informed and nuetural manner).

To gain traction in the media and wider community the HR movement needs a few things. it needs well regarded, intelligent articulate spokesmen/women who can spearhead the movement and maintain control over what gets said to the meida etc. for example its not hard to imagine the incalulable damage that could be done if the wrong person went and did an interview sprouting the benefits of HR. (so an idea may be to perhaps register a small body of 5 people or so,called for example, harm reduction australia, and then it is only this body that does media reports).
It also needs to be armed with powerful statistics and examples of the danger of not adopting a HR outlook. i dont know where these statistics may be found, but for example i went to your average middle class catholic school, and i dont know anyone in my year who did not at one stage experiment (including one lethal overdose) with any recreational drug( so much for the prowess of prohibition hey).
Look at GHB, the poster child for the media. I've heard lots of 'kids' planning to take it for their first time, and have planned to do it on a boozy night out. I've told them of the dangers where I could, but that's a drop in the ocean.
another prime example of the need for an education based HR policy.
another two prominent examples of where HR could have saved lives are the unforunate deaths of Anna Woods and Gemma Thomas. in Anna Woods case had she previously learned of the dangers of water intoxifiocation she may still be with us today. With Gemma Thomas the same applies, had she been warned of the risks posed by overheating and of dropping two many pills at once, she may still be with us today too.

The benefits of HR are clearly there to see, we just have to open peoples eyes to them without invoking their prejudices against them.

Last edited:
Been reading through this post and I'd like to contribute with ideas, but I am new to the drug scene despite my later years (in comparison to the perceived average starting age), so I'm don't know if it'll help.

I remember listening to radio national and this author was promoting her novel about teenagers and drug use. I'll have to chase up her name and get hold of the book (usual teenage best friend story thing), but she did mention about the preferred view of drug users and first time users (ie drug use = death) to what actually happens (in the majority of cases - in other words it was fun).

Education is not advocating use, in my mind. But education about the drugs I would prefer to be more about what the actual chemicals do to the body and brain, that way just like with alcohol and tobacco (and even junk food for that matter) you are well aware of what is happening and what dangers you are taking when you over consume (or in essence consume something that you don't really know what is in it). In QLD an arm of the education department released a harm reduction/information wheel about illegal drugs and people howled it down as promoting drug use.

I really don't know how we can change/tweak the political minds to promote harm reduction. It appears there is still a strong conservative mind set amongst the mainstream media and political leaders (as seen earlier this year) and when the pendulum swings back in the other direction then the battle may not be as hard...

Sorry this isn't really helping, just would like to contribute.....I have also joined rave safe and happy to give a run down after volunteering at my first event.

Stay safe

another excellent post cudds. Yes a small body of articulate, charismatic spokespeople is a must.

I agree - "pro-drug" is not something HR should be aligned with. However, I don't think it should be anti-drug either. Is it possible to vehemently push the neutral stance? I think so. Much in the same way, as Tronica said, the abortion debate is perceived. Or a less polarising comparison would be sex education - we don't suggest kids "just say no" to sex as that would be unrealistic, but by the same token no-one is saying go out and have sex. Rather, there is a far more mature and measured approach where providing information on safe-sex is promoted.

Great thread, thanks.

A few responses below, focusing mainly on BL.

I believe the answer lies in three principle areas.

1) Encourage those opposed to HR, or who simply don't know much about it, to engage in discussions, both on and off BL.

2) Gather every bit of information out there relevant to HR and broadcast that widely.

3) Be more pro-active. Use all resources available to us to be the first to identify, warn or inform of new substances and trends. Promote this website widely, and regularly initiate conversation on the subject of informed choice and importance of constructive, drug discussion forums. Most importantly, do this with those who support prohibition as it currently stands.

I definitely agree with #2. I've been wanting to improve the quality of collated information/FAQs/etc on BL for a while. I've been holding off in the hope that the Wiki would be an obvious place for this information, and could be edited by multiple people. We're hopefully not too far away from getting the Wiki working. Obviously, we'll need contributors to collect and write content. Which is one thing that we really have, both people with scientific backgrounds, and with real world experience, and both ;)

What would be useful, now, would be to think about the structure of the information: what would a comprehensive harm reduction resource look like? What would the categories be?

#1 and #3 are admirable aims, though given the responses from many BLers to the recent media threads, I'm nervous. (There were a large number of posts that made our side look very very bad indeed). Like the idea; trying to balance 'letting everyone on BL respond' with 'not wanting people to make stupid comments' (some sort of approval system, like Legal Q&A, maybe?)

Recently, we’ve again had the media referring to Bluelight in news articles. I believe this should be a welcomed thing, regardless of the increased publicity and the flack it could bring. We now, more than ever need exposure, and with that, IMO we also need to appoint (or reinstate) a local ambassador.

I agree that the media coverage is a good thing, I was glad to see it too. I'm agnostic on the ambassador idea; surely JB should be handling that sort of stuff? Can you expand on what you were thinking - are you thinking of giving the media someone's real-life contact details? You'd envisage similar roles in US/UK? (Like I say, I'm agnostic, I'm interested to hear more).

we need to look at the value this and other forums may find in discussing some aspects of synthesis, particularly in relation to impurities, contaminants etc. The ‘no synth’ rule is not a blanket BL policy, but regardless, IMO any such black and white policy should never be made by anyone without a practical HR background, and preferably also a good knowledge of chemistry and relative toxicology.

I'm not even sure where the 'no synth' policy came from, it pre-dates my time. Happy to discuss modifying it.

^ Infinite Jest. Would you be able to PM me to discuss what we are currently developing to try and address these issues. We may be able to help each other here.
Thanks.

Apologies for not replying sooner...I'm trying to prepare some replies inbetween dealing with this mountain of paperwork.....hopefully not too long now

dribble said:
I've always had respect for this fella?

Yes, looking back to the time he was in politics, I thought of Neil Blewett as a sensible man, a pragmatist who seemed to stand by what he thought rather than what others felt he should think. However, I'm not sure his involvement in Alcohol and other drugs would extend to supporting some of the broader aims of HR. Perhaps someone should ask him...

Mr Blonde said:
But there is still a lot to be done in my opinion. More shooting galleries for a start. Looking at the viability of making naltrexone available to users (I posted a thread on this not long ago). Pushing for looking at re-scheduling of commonly used substances or at least reducing penalties for those who are found in possession and perhaps looking at what constitutes possession (e.g. allowing a person who was carrying for friends to not be charged with the same kind of offense that a drug dealer would be). Legal harm to users is still a big issue I believe, as we all know what kind of repurcussions a drug conviction can have on a person's life.

Those are all good points. I certainly think HR Australia could work towards focusing more attention on the legal ramifications of drug use, in much the same way as the Drug Policy Foundation of the US has. With enough scope, if done correctly, I believe this could serve as one means of swaying public opinion. But first, a platform for reaching the public has to be established.

On a related note, perhaps the book idea could be expanded to three volumes of personal stories, focusing on 3 different outcomes of drug use; The Good - stories from non-problematic users; the Bad - addiction, compulsion etc; and the Ugly, or legal side - how the legal system has impacted on the lives of consumers, where drug use has been either problematic or non-problematic. Just throwing some ideas in here...

Mr Blonde said:
Reform of the current drug education students receive at school. Hell, this is something that a group could be formed for similar to RaveSafe that could offer to provide this service to schools. The drug education I and many others received during school was fairly shit, but it depends on what schools are willing to allow.

And that's the problem, only it's not just governed by schools but by the broader education system and laws protecting children. Some years ago I wrote a piece for GPs on MDMA use and Rave Culture, and from that it was suggested by one GP that I should attend classrooms with him and talk about drugs. However, the idea didn’t get past first base as it wasn’t supported by those who made such decisions - not all that surprising really.

cudds said:
Firstly to see a genuine advance of the HR movement/lobby (i cant figure out which adjective best describes what 'we'(as pd pointed out everyone/most here have an interest in HR) are) we first must become unified internally. By this i mean that the wider HR lobby must first of all agree on what goals it aims to achieve. this may sound simple and perhaps unnessecary. but i would disagree.

I concur, it is necessary, but in moving with these changing times of new trends and drugs, such an objective can either be broadly or tightly defined. The former is perhaps easier in concept, because boundaries are not set, but the latter is more realistically achievable in the short term I believe, and less vulnerable to criticism. This doesn’t mean a tightly defined HR policy isn’t flexible, on the contrary, it simply requires regular review and amendment by representatives from relevant areas of science and society. Not an easy task either way, but IMO we've now come to that crossroad, where without a sound foundation and a clearly defined direction that offers real solutions to all parties, HR runs the risk of being further maligned and discredited, to a degree that it becomes far less tolerated, and thus less effective than it currently is.

Secondly in response to what has been said above in regards to the use of the word pleasure. whilst personally i may wholeheartedly agree with some of what has been said (expothead a few posts above for example), i would say that if pleasure were to become a byword for the HR lobby it would be the final nail in the HR coffin. it would be the political bell tolling for thee (ie us). At all costs (i beleive) the HR movement cannot be seen to encourage drug use!!!

Absolutely. In line with what Tronica said in her response, the pleasure or enjoyment part of why people take drugs isn’t openly discussed and that needs to change IMO. That doesn’t mean HR has to encourage drug taking in any way, but somewhere in the messages, the hedonistic side of drug taking needs to be discussed and appreciated. I believe we can encompass the reasons for why people want to take drugs, while still supporting the premise of Harm Prevention, i.e. that no drug use is preferable and produces the lowest degree of risk. While the buck stops short of using crowbar tactics to prevent drug use, HR can easily be shown to have common ground with Harm Prevention advocates. But because HR accepts drug use will always occur, it can offer far more, and therefore has potential to influence both the cause and the outcome. It does this through creating awareness using a realistic and more readily received approach.

Bent Mk2 said:
That's another reason why HM may appear to be failing. More and more the general (anti-drug) public is seeing overdose in the press, farked up kids at parties on TV on NYD and the like, and they think there's now a massive problem, which only heightens their hate of drugs and their 'just say no' attitude.

When adults complain about kids and drugs, I usually begin my response by asking what they know about youth culture in general. Do they understand why young people prefer different dress and music? Do they know the latest bands, TV programs and games that young people prefer? Most have forgotten their own youth and why they thought the way they did back then, and that alone usually puts them way out of touch with the youth of today. I then usually steer the subject back to drugs, asking questions of them that many young people know the answers to. Unless ignorance rules, there’s usually an admission that they know relatively little about drugs, and that it’s mainly limited to what’s on TV or in the papers. Then I throw some figures at them like how many interventions RaveSafe sees at a typical event, and then compare this number to how many people are actually taking drugs at these events yet have no immediate problems. Then I throw some of my own history into the picture and mention some of the rec drug users I know who hold important positions or who have succeeded in business or academia. So, educating the uninformed is frequently about planting the seed. What often grows can and does change minds.

expothead said:
Also, I wouldn't say I was necessarily promoting the pro-drug agenda, more pro-choice.

The pro-choice argument certainly has its place in HR, at least informed choice does. I think the phrase is endorsed by virtually anyone who believes in reform. The pro-choice argument also runs into virtually every aspect of modern life. We are strongly encouraged to eat only healthy food, yet no-one who believed in a “free world” would deny someone the right to have a big breakfast of bacon, hash browns and fired eggs – or would they? There’ll always be those who think we have too many choices, simply because either they choose not to do these things, or because they’re simply ignorant of the choices available and what qualities/ benefits may go with those choices. Pro-choice in regards to drugs will always have a lot of backers, but mainly from those who take, or have taken drugs. Unless you’ve had a big breakfast when you’re really hungry for something of that nature, then you really don’t know what it is you’re missing…. A poor example perhaps…but you get my drift

Sykik said:
Convincing the Media, you need whistleblowers for statistics that can sway the public to become aware. You need well presentable people with respectable credentials backing HARM REDUCTION, not PRO-DRUG/Pleasure. I agree with the above post you need a united well organised front. As I beleve little steps are great, but education of the people (especially the ignorant people) I believe needs to be a BIG step.

These people are out there, and HR related conferences often see speakers present good arguments, but up until now, very little of a positive spin seems to make it into the papers. Of course its a different story if one speaker stands out with some seemingly radical or left field statement or idea. That needs to change, and one way of doing that IMO is to stage a Reform Conference, where HR plays a big part in supplying the evidence and rationale towards this goal. This would allow the coming together of minds from many disciplines. It would include speakers associated with every aspect of Drug Harm, and why significant reductions in drug related harms will only come through law reform. Sure the media would pick the eyes out of any such gathering, but, I’d be willing to bet such a conference would also attract a few otherwise conservative participants.

Breecamb said:
I really don't know how we can change/tweak the political minds to promote harm reduction. It appears there is still a strong conservative mind set amongst the mainstream media and political leaders (as seen earlier this year) and when the pendulum swings back in the other direction then the battle may not be as hard...

I agree, and as with anything political, public mindset can be changed. It will still be a long haul, but the stage is set, which is more than reflected in the recent comments from people like Overland and Keelty. To have acknowledged a blanket zero tolerance policy isn’t suitable for society (Overland) is a major step in the right direction.

…and btw Breecamb, thanks for your support of RaveSafe.

Infinite Jest said:
What would be useful, now, would be to think about the structure of the information: what would a comprehensive harm reduction resource look like? What would the categories be?

That’s an interesting question. From the perspective of those who attend events in a HR capacity, many of us would undoubtedly like to see a very broad range of information available. HR tends to concentrate on the direct health and legal aspects of drug use, and IMO some very basic information/advice is left out, often taken for granted that users know such things already – common sense you might say. Yet the drive and enthusiasm many users display, often sees the simple things forgotten, even something as simple as taking the right clothes to an event. I’d like to see the some of this sort of info also included. To include regular activities that are often associated with drug use serves to normalise drug use, and that alone can move mountains.

Infinite Jest said:
I agree that the media coverage is a good thing, I was glad to see it too. I'm agnostic on the ambassador idea; surely JB should be handling that sort of stuff? Can you expand on what you were thinking - are you thinking of giving the media someone's real-life contact details? You'd envisage similar roles in US/UK? (Like I say, I'm agnostic, I'm interested to hear more).

A few years ago Johnboy was frequently in the media and did a damn fine job of it, I might add. I don’t know of his schedule these days, or his level of involvement so I can’t comment on his willingness to step up such discussions, and create more awareness among the broader public. He’d certainly get my vote though.

If we are to select someone for the job of ambassador I believe it’s necessary to first have a clear understanding on what HR stands for, and that as we have seen is difficult with so many different views on what it should encompass. Again, I see merit in limiting the scope of HR in some ways, yet expanding it in other ways. It needs to reflect life style choices more than anything else, but within that have clearly distinguished aims and objectives. Reform needs to be right up there IMO, so no-one can say there’s a hidden agenda. Once that’s been established, if no suitable nominee is forthcoming, then approaching appropriate candidates could be considered. When I’ve time I’ll detail these ideas a little better.

I'm not even sure where the 'no synth' policy came from, it pre-dates my time. Happy to discuss modifying it.

Great. I would simply like to see discussion allowed where it pertains to HR, or has HR value. Chemistry is not a taboo subject and it pisses me off that so much ignorance is shown towards discussing how drugs are made. All it says to me is that those who haven’t learned it don’t like being left out. So, learn the science, it’s really not that difficult ….

As mentioned in the opening post, I wouldn’t like to see synthesis talk detailing the practical aspects of the synthesis; in other words providing information so that those not already capable of synthesising drugs could suddenly do it, or helping people improve yields. I don’t think either of those is relevant to HR. But warning about known or suspected impurities from a synth and offering advice on how these might be minimised or removed is sound HR info IMO. Again, guidelines would need to be formulated, but that’s what Admin and Mods do, isn’t it ;) If it looks realistic i.e. gains general support form other admin, I’m quite prepared to throw some ideas together.

Thanks again to those who’ve contributed.

Great discussion. Quick comment from me, in a historical perspective.

The traditional line we took regarding discussion of synthesis was simply to exclude it altogether. Reasons why included multifarious aspects of supply discussion, and wanting to stay away from the grey areas which are mostly created from the following viewpoint: those in the 'other side' tend to view the main part of drug harm minimisation to be supply reduction. Failing the success of law enforcement to choke the flow of illegal chemicals into circulation, the next way to reduce demand is to promote the idea that illegal chemicals made in clandestine laboratories are inherently unsafe, and thereby encourage fear of the unknown adulterant. This ultimately leads to the conclusion that since all illegal drugs are manufactured illegally, all drugs are inherently unsafe, and the hope seems to be that the fear would act as a deterrent. This is clearly false, since the fear is in a large part erased by the first good user experience.

Field testing technology and encouragement of education, moderation and communication were the keystones of Bluelight's fight against that viewpoint. I'm not sure that this has necessarily changed, but there's a clear difference between "if you're going to do it, do it safely" and "if you're going to cook it, cook it safely". I agree totally that both points of view in the long term could have beneficial consequences, but short of a revolution in the public eye about the 'evil' of drug use, I felt the former was more tenable as a public face for a Bluelight that supported harm reduction for users.

I'm sure there were more than a few instances of quotes from Bluelight appearing in newspapers and the like, and I would think it is easier to shrug off some quotes from overenthusiastic posters discussing parties and pills than perhaps in-depth discussion about synthesis. Theoretically, it would be nice to believe such a discussion could be all viewed entirely academically, and no more exciting to an average journalist or policeman than a chemistry text book. In practice, when discussed in more colloquial terms could it not be seen as a more 'seedy underside' to the harm reduction mission, and the subtlety of harm reduction by better synthesis be lost?

Times change, though. Maybe I was paranoid.

BT :)

^ times may change BT but what you concluded there still applies completely.
as with so much in the world (espically within the political realm) perception is more important than reality. how the HR movement is percieved is going to be a key, dominating factor in any of its possible future advancements. and its a safe bet that the wider society/media still wont understand the subtlety of HR by better synthesis

Yes perception is everything. But don't doubt for a minute that synth discussion in this context wouldn't be deterrent in nature - it certainly would if suitable guidelines were set. Let's wait a bit and see how Bluelight might be portrayed in the near future
1.gif

If all goes ahead as planned, media from all over the world will be looking at this place, but the emphasis will be completely different from the norm. If the outcome is positive, this subject could then be re-visited.

...apologies for being so vague, but rest assured something is in the pipeline.

I just read through this thread. Its going to be worth reading again. Very good stuff.
One thought from this reading was 'who is the harm elimination side of things'?Organizing things by topics will be important, but persuasion really benefits by crafting distinct arguments to specific groups. Every category probably already has some who either are our ally or close to being our ally
No one is of a pure category but some categories I can think of are:

• NA/AA and other recovered by abstinence types
  • Law & Order types to whom a rule is a rule
  • bereaved or harmed parents, lovers, siblings, and friends,
  • religiously or morally motivated
  • people with little real experience who formed their opinion through TV, books, movies, etc
  • people who had one or two very unpleasant drug experiences
  • people with an aesthetic objection to drug culture
  • people whose chief determinant is statistics and economics
  • occasional elitists who use drugs themselves but feel others need the big protection of prohibition

Just thought I'd bump this up again as I think it's an important conversation...

@ Enki: interesting idea to determine who exactly are the people a 'harm reduction group' would be crafting messages for. It's a vast array of different types there, some of whom aren't likely to be won over by any 'evidence' when their objections are moral.

It's also interesting to ponder the question of 'harm reduction, where to from here?' as Bluelight comes up to its 10th anniversary. A whole decade of Bluelight; founded on this premise of harm reduction. How do we evaluate what it's all meant over that time? What do we think the next decade will look like? *ponders*!

Also just found something that might be interest - others who are concerned about harm reduction needs across the world, for young people:

Name: Youth R.I.S.E: Resources. Information. Support. Education for Reducing Drug-Related Harm
Categories: Health & Wellness
Human Rights & Equity

Description:
Many young people use drugs at some point in their lives; the majority do so with little or no resultant harm. But many youth, especially those involved with the street or in distress, are at risk of drug-related harms such as overdose, HIV or hepatitis infection or arrest. The majority of these risks & harms can be reduced through honest education, provision of safer means of using drugs & implementation of humane drug laws: this is harm reduction.

The Youth Network for Harm Reduction is youth-driven and set up to work with young people from around the world to reduce the risks and harms associated with substance use. The YNHR focuses on youth peer-to-peer leadership, with youth supported by mentors.

We want your input! We are trying to shape the network based on the priorities of youth from around the world.

What do you want to know about harm reduction?

How is it relevant to your life? To your community or region in the world?

What do you want to know from others about harm reduction?

Send a message: [email protected]
Subscribe: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: [email protected]

Great thread folks and great info with plenty to think about.

Just one thought based on my experience. If we being people who believe in harm reduction are the minority. Then wont the majority view always be more widespread even it is misinformed.

Over the years the different types of people who use or have used drugs has amazed me. I have heard of all different types of people from various professions, races, economic backgrounds and ages who use or have used drugs.

I think the first step foward is show that people from all different parts of society use drugs or have used drugs. And most of these hold down a job, pay their bills etc. Basically they lead productive lives and contribute positively to society.

We need to get rid of the stereotypes of a typical drug taker first!

^Very true. Huge problem is that responsible drug users for very good reasons keep their drug use very low key. Out of the responsible drug users I know the huge majority would not go to a pro-drug or legalization rally for either professional or social reasons. I would have a very hard time selling anyone on being more open about their responsible but illicit drug use. I wouldn't know how to hasten social change in this regard but I think things could be slowly improving regarding stigma and prejudice.

To all those interested in 'Harm reduction - where do we do from here?'

This website has just been launched. It has a harm reduction philosophy and a wiki set-up and it is seeking participation.

Bluebelly