The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Harm Reduction Events and Resources

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
This thread will be used to post information on any harm reduction events within the North and South American region.

There has been an increase in the number of overdose prevention courses being taught. Some of these courses allow participants over the age of 18 to receive a narcan kit upon completion of the seminar.

Since the main purpose of Bluelight is to reduce harm in individuals that have made the decision to use drugs, I think that this thread fits perfectly into the scope of our mission here.

We may have an old needle exchange thread in this forum, but feel free to post information about locations and resources available from needle exchanges in your area too.

Thank you.

LICADD and Drug Free Long Island to Host Drug Overdose Prevention Training

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011, the Long Island Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (LICADD) and Drug Free Long Island will host a free LIFE-OP (Long Islanders Fighting an Epidemic – Overdose Prevention) training for healthcare professionals and concerned members of the community including parents, educators, and students over the age of 18..........

The workshop will be held on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 from 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Marjorie Post Park (Room A), 451 Unqua Road in Massapequa Park, NY. For further information on this event or to register for the free training, please contact Rosanne Slattery, LICADD Development Director at [email protected] or 516-747-2606 or Janice Talento, Drug Free Long Island President at [email protected] or 516-308-4068.

link

I would like for this to happen. I have used opiates very little and have never been addicted to anything really. However, I do have an opiate addict in my family. I also have watched documentaries on the subject. All of this has led me to want to take one of these classes so if I see anyone overdosing, I will be able to save them. No matter who it is, I would be willing to help if I had the equipment and training and I'm sure they and their family would be appreciative as well.

Too true! Depending on where you are, there might be a program close to you that will hook you up. If you don't want to be specific, send me a PM and I'll let you know if one is close. Since the late '90s, there have been over 53,000 lay people trained who have reversed about 11,000 ODs- pretty impressive, yes? Opioid use has the potential to be dangerous, but ODs do not have to be fatal!

I'm in west tennessee currently though I'm from the Nashville area. I wasn't sure if these programs had made it to my state or not.

Bummer, I think you are right that there's not much in TN right yet. The closest places to you are in southern IL (Bethany Place/NEOME) or western NC (Project Lazarus). As of tomorrow, here is a website that will have a search function so people can enter in a zip and find the closest naloxone program to them, maybe your family member is closer to one of the programs than you are? hopeandrecovery.org

Also, tomorrow (Aug 31) is International Overdose Awareness Day- an opportunity to ask your local and national legislators to support naloxone availability and raise awareness (like asking your local radio station to play a song by someone who ODd, Tweeting something with hashtag #OD11, etc. The Drug Policy Alliance has additional suggestions.)

Last edited:
I no longer speak to that addict, not because of her addiction but because of very poor choices on her part such as theft, running away, neglecting children, etc. However, thanks for the link and if one pops up in Memphis, I will try and look into it. I'll look into the others when I get a steady vehicle.

As always, the Harm Reduction Coalition has a great site regarding various HR resources/events.

*Bump*

With Narcan (naloxone) becoming more available in some areas I was wondering if anybody has information on its availability in your area.
Some counties in NY have recently began some pilot programs for arming police with Narcan and every month I read several articles about someone who has been revived from an opiate overdose by a responding police officer that has been trained with Narcan and given it to carry on them. It's a great program that will be sure to expand with the amount of people that it has saved.

Edit: Here is our regional thread on Needle Exchange / Syringe Discussion. I would eventually like to compile a list to add to this thread, as well as having as the first and/or last post of that other thread, so feel free to add needle exchange info to either or both of these threads.

Last edited:
that's great news to hear, tommy, with more and more places now handing out Narcan in the States. great step forward for Harm Reduction associations/programs and great news for opioid users. i wish australia would take note of this and rally behind it. along with the govt. picking up their act at the hospital exchanges and provide the more regional areas with micron filters - which really grinds my gears. i've had a few discussions with the people at the exchange and they state that they can't get the funding...if they even understood or knew what a micron filter/wheel filter was in the first place.