clubcard

Bluelighter
Hi,
I have tried everything to obtain:

Pharmazie. 1982 Jan;37(1):69.

[Is pyrithyldione (Benedorm) an enzyme inducer (author's transl)]

by H H Borchert, S Schuster, H Lipfert, S Pfeifer

PMID: 7071114

Now, Sci-Hub is supposed to accept PMIDs but I have never got it to work.

The reason why this is so valuable is that the glutethimide metabolite, 4-hydroxy glutethimide can undergo dehydration leading to an alkene and If pyrithyldione is also an enzyme inducer, we have a QSAR for the VERY hard to find CYP2D6 inducers. I am more than happy to credit whoever posts or otherwise conveys the results of the papers because IF it is the alkene then the amount needed for induction is very SMALL. I am aware that 4-hydroxy flutethimide prevents gluconation of morphine thus increasing duration BUT truthfully, a safe, effective CYP2D6 inducer is important the medicine, not just for us taking it with codeine to get a heroin-like high.

That paper is pre digitalisation, Pharmazie is digital 2003 onwards so it's a trip to the library and a photocopier job. Most academic libraries don't seem to hold that journal in paper form. You might want to order a copy from the British Library in London through your local library.

CYP2D6 poor metabolizers are annoying from a tox perspective. Are you sure you can overcome it with an inducer because the poor metabolizers have a really poor version of the enzyme and some one in 12 in western populations have no functional enzyme at all, which makes inducing it a lttle tricky.

Is it true gluthemide causes weird hormonal side effects, like moobs and adrenal insufficiency or something like that? I can't be bothered to look it up.

Frost, J., Løkken, T. N., Helland, A., Nordrum, I. S., & Slørdal, L. (2016).
Post-mortem levels and tissue distribution of codeine, codeine-6-glucuronide, norcodeine, morphine and morphine glucuronides in a series of codeine-related deaths. Forensic Science International, 262, 128–137. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2016.02.051

It would appear that the CYP2D6 induced by glutethamide results in up to around 50% of the codeine is metabolised to morphine or M6G. Pyrithyldione only converta about 20% (and at high doses). The next thing to discover if which of the glutethimide isomers is responsible... we are getting there, slowly.

The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 08 Jul 2015, 290(33):20200-20210
DOI: 10.1074/jbc.m115.665331 PMID: 26157146 PMCID: PMC4536429