• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Hard breathing on meth and other stimulants?

distwave

Greenlighter
So I've looked around the internet quite a bit for an answer to my question, but all the testimonies I've found have dealt with extensive use.

Basically, whenever I take a stimulant, be it addy, vyvanse, ritalin, meth, caffeine, I always get shortness of breath, regardless of dosing, and regardless of route. I could rub a very small amount of meth on my gums and still get this shortness of breath. It's the first effect, every time, after I take a stimulant.

It is very uncomfortable and causes me to take very large breaths, which over time give me stomach pains.

I've asked some friends of mine that have experience with amphetamines, and they all report only ever getting shortness of breath when they smoke.

Does anyone else go through this with stimulants? Could it possibly be anxiety, or am I simply responding differently to it than others?

Typically, yes, but not always. I think what makes me the most anxious when doing stimulants is the breathing. I never feel that way with anything else, including psychedelics, so I always get freaked out.

I had a similar problem when taking extended doses of Adderall, I searched up and read many things of how stimulants can depress the part of your brain that tells you to breath, especially cocaine. Others say sleep will help, or a lot of cardiovascular exercise. I feel like i'm healthy, I have done Concerta and amphetamine before and didn't have this same problem. All I did was lay off stimulants, wasn't my drug of choice anyway. For you, I would recommend laying off or cutting back too, if your prone to anxiety this will trigger more stress/panic attacks during taking stimulants resulting in a hard time breathing.

Do you have any respiratory illnesses or diseases such as asthma, COPD, etc? How heavy of a smoker are you? How do you administer your meth?

Methamphetamine is a bronchodillator so it opens up the airways and the lungs it shouldn't be making things harder to breathe, if anything it should be clearing you out and making it easier to breathe.

Do you have any respiratory illnesses or diseases such as asthma, COPD, etc? How heavy of a smoker are you? How do you administer your meth?

Methamphetamine is a bronchodillator so it opens up the airways and the lungs it shouldn't be making things harder to breathe, if anything it should be clearing you out and making it easier to breathe.

I smoke a pack of cigarettes in two days- I have no known respiratory conditions- I snorted/ate meth the first, I'd say, 15 times I did it, then went to smoking it.

If you can't breathe stop doing them! This is a horrible sign! Please be careful! Be safe, be well!

I can breathe, it just feels heavy/ like I need to yawn constantly, but can never actually yawn.
Thank you for the concern! I'm trying to be safe, just hard when dangers seem so much funner.

kinda just sounds like what a bronchodillator should be doing, except it shouldn't be "hard" at all.

I've been having the same problem lately. Online research led me to articles about breathing through the nose rather than the mouth and to something called "aerophagia" which is when you swallow large amounts of air and it gets trapped in your stomach. I know I swallow a LOT more often when I'm high too. If your stomach muscles are tight (mine are when I'm high) it prevents burping to get it out. I have to breathe through my nose, be aware of how much I swallow, trying not to swallow air, completely relaxing my stomach muscles (doing this while walking around is especially helpful) and I take a lot of GasX lol. You could also take peppermint pills since that is the main ingredient in GasX. I think I may have just taken too much lately and need to cut back. I told my doctor about aerophagia (not about the being high part) and he did say it is frequently due to anxiety. GasX seems to help the most.

Shortness of breath or a feeling like you have to gasp could mean cardiac problems. You should get your heart checked up, you may have an underlying heart problem like prolonged QTc interval and the stimulants could be giving you arrhythmia's which are a common cause of shortness of breath.

I'd seriously stop taking them as having trouble breathing is a serious side effect.

Trouble breathing in any situation is a red flag. It means something is very wrong.

Completely normal, but in my case it's not until I reach the 36 hour mark of being awake. Like you try to take a deep breath but just can't get it all the way haha. I've learned to like it

This scares me a bit because I have recently lost quite a bit of weight and sometimes, usually within the first few hours of hving a shot I might get up off a chair and walk across the room or walk up some stairs that id normally be ok doing but I find myself out of breath in the same way as when I was overweight.

It worries me as there are many reasons this could be from. I was addicted to Oxycontin for years and I injected it, so im worried maybe my lungs are full of pill filler. The biggest fear I have is that its due to cardiovascular problems because having a heart attack(or a stroke) scared the hell out of me but I love meth and don't want to stop using it atm. I think ill go to the doctor and get my blood pressure and heart monitored.

I've been having the same problem lately. Online research led me to articles about breathing through the nose rather than the mouth and to something called "aerophagia" which is when you swallow large amounts of air and it gets trapped in your stomach. I know I swallow a LOT more often when I'm high too. If your stomach muscles are tight (mine are when I'm high) it prevents burping to get it out. I have to breathe through my nose, be aware of how much I swallow, trying not to swallow air, completely relaxing my stomach muscles (doing this while walking around is especially helpful) and I take a lot of GasX lol. You could also take peppermint pills since that is the main ingredient in GasX. I think I may have just taken too much lately and need to cut back. I told my doctor about aerophagia (not about the being high part) and he did say it is frequently due to anxiety. GasX seems to help the most.

This is exactly what happens to me if i smoke stimulants, I think im not getting enough air in my lungs even if i take deep breaths because most of it goes into my stomach.

Also if you're prone to anxiety and start expecting the effect to occur it is going to occur no matter what, you can make it happen to yourself when sober if you psych yourself out

@ketaman get a chest xray while you're there

If you smoke cigarettes, ease up. Maybe try some snus, lozenges, or other ROA for nicotine. Smoking crank/rock will really tear shit up in my chest too. Generally when I'm tweaking, I'll do a blast or two and if I continue from there, I'll whip out a bulb and smoke the rest. If I smoke anything more than a point, it'll make me feel like I have a cold for the next day or two. If you're speeding hard, avoid prolonged physical activity. Stay hydrated. Take breaks, rest, eat. Don't overamp yourself. When things start going wrong with me physically, it usually means I've had more than enough.

Last edited:
This is a usual occurance for myself. I'm a cigarette smoker just to add to the fun... On numerous occasions I was admitted to hospital, I suffered heart palpitations in the ambulance and was constantly having my OPS monitored. I had a breathing apparatus and was administered my anti anxiety benzodiazepines. After the first hour my heart rate was fluctuating ridiculously and I wasn't able to breathe comfortably...so I was sent in for a QV, which is where radioactive gas is given to me for inhalation whilst undergoing a CT scan to check for clots in my arteries (focussed on my heart) then I'm injected with the weird shit and in I go again! Seriously it was petrifying. But having a drip to restore electrolytes and fluid in my body along with the oxygen mask and the beautiful valiYUM I managed to redeem myself after 24 hours. I was then told that I had experienced a heart attack. I'm obviously highly intelligent because I still smoke to this day, however at the time of this particular event I was in transition of giving up the IV and getting back on the glass ware. Either or, ice in moderation dude, always moderation! Don't be a greedy bastard because you're just cheating yourself. There are far too many factors involved in order to provide closure; we all have our own shit going on; mentally; emotionally; physically; blah fukn blah; smoking ice and wondering why you feel shit is like eating old sushi and wondering why you wanna munt. If you're truly concerned about your state of lunacy call the ambo for goodness sake!
What I've said probably has no relivance to this thread but oh well hope I spiced up your pleasure reading. Anyway, that's my rant over...

Bit late to reply, but people might be looking for this information.

What you are experiencing is called sighing dyspnea and is usually exacerbated by amphetamines. Sure it won't hurt to see a doctor, but what you are describing is very very specific to this syndrome and I am convinced enough to take the risk of telling you there is nothing to worry about on the somatic side of things. This is not medical advice, but most medical advice I got wasn't worth shit and this sure the fuck is more hard information than you could squeeze out of most doctors:

Firstly you should try running to (almost positively) rule out cardiovasular/pulmonary issues. See if running...
a) triggers your symptoms when sober or...
b) exacerbates them when you're on speed.

If so, go see a doctor. If not, then here is the good news:

1) Your symptoms pose no imminent threat to your health.
2) If things gets worse, it will surely keep you from doing speed, since this yawning desire (which may not sound like much of an issue to most people) can be become quiet anguishing.

Many patients experience these symptoms 24/7. There's no easy way to get rid of it for them. You on the other hand got it all laid out for you.

Of course you could instead of not doing stimulants try stacking GABAergics. Benzos, barbs, G or booze. Pot can be very very helpful if you are not prone to become anxious under it's influence.

Opiates can help some people. Others will see no benefit. I couldn't tell you how you're gonna react. It shouldn't be as effective as the other drugs listed and will probably rebound even harder than the others.
Many will get these issues when withdrawing opiates. Naloxone can trigger them in opiate naive people.

Your oxygen saturation may indeed be lower than usual when your symptoms occur. Ask your friends if they could watch your breathing (or get an app for that if there is one ;) ).
They may tell you that after you take those very deep breathes while getting angry for not getting past that yawning turn-around point, your breathing actually becomes more shallow.

In consequence your oxygen levels will diminish until you get the desire to yawn/sigh/breathe until you feel your stomach will burst any second.
It's the up and down that is distressing you and it may take quite some time until those levels actually stabilize which is part of why breathing exercises won't bring immediate relief, but it will after a while, just like running for an extended period of time. Try both.

It's generally a bad idea to combat side effects of one recreational drug with another. This class of drugs (stimulants) is just not made for you. Maybe that's a good thing. Not sure if it will cheer you up: Some people get every single of the worst side effects listed in the books for every drug single recreational drug available. For you it's just speed. That shit will only make you less likeable in the long run anyway.

So your options in short:
- Breathing exercises/physical therapy
- Psychotherapy for what may be occult anxiety issues
- Whenever you do speed, keep enough booze, benzos and pot around for you not to run out mid-session

First line treatment would imho be to do acid instead though and sort through those issues in your life. Get your shit together and stop doing fucking speed. Drugs are supposed to enrichen your life, not make it even harder than it already is!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that hypertension of the pulmonary artery - while a very rare disease - can be caused by stimulant abuse. Amphetamine is not known for this, but - and this is one of the many reasons why taking rc's is so risky - other stimulants your speed might be cut with are not only known to fuck up that intimidatingly big artery, but may in fact very well be responsible for half the cases out there. The other half of patients is probably just lying to their doctor about abusing stimulants. ;)
However before anyone gets even more anxious than they already are: Pulmonary arterial hypertension may not be curable, but it can be managed very well these days and people to grow very old with it.

Plus, which is why I recommended running earlier: Pulmonary arterial hypertension will always be exacerbated by increased oxygen demand.

If you came here due to experiencing breathing issues not unlike the OP's issues and only read these last lines, please do read the rest too, since these last ones could be misleading. The OP most likely just has functional, not organic issues underneith that yawning desire.

Much <3

Last edited:
Ive been having this last night and into this morning now. Its been getting to be more and more for awhile that I have some times where it feels Im not breathing well when I am using. Last couple days I have been running out of breath entirely and have to breathe hard to catch up. Its when I have anxiety more though. Thats been on the up and up for a few days now. This new batch I have is potent but theres something about it thats driving me up the wall even more than usual. A friend of mine whos smoked with me has felt physically ill after using it a couple times.

Any thoughts?