• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hallucinogens+mental illness=bad mix=overrated?

WishIwereHere

Greenlighter
I've had bad trips before, been in mental hospitals 6 times, diagnosed schizoaffective. I've taken psychedelics 50 times....40 times since my diagnosis and barely felt any negatives anymore of taking psychedelics. If anything I've been cured tenfold from shrooms and as long as I didn't get a bad batch of acid or take too much, it didn't affect me badly either. Acid and shrooms isn't gonna cause me a psychotic break unless something seriously bad happened. You guys always say "NO IF YOU HAVE ANY MENTAL PROBLEMS YOU CANT SMOKE WEED OR DO HALLUCINOGENS" that's bullshit. because im pretty dandy alright. Yeah I take anti-psychotics and it might negate the trip a little but you overrate mental illness. All the people I met in mental hospitals and IOP's have done hallucinogens and weed a thousand times and theyre all relatively fine (with thanks to modern day medicine improved). No one is an "acid casuality" or a "glass of orange juice" from doing too much hallucinogens with mental issues. And you can smoke on your medication and the medication still helps. It's all overrated. You guys are overrated. Makes me sensitive to asking questions on this board without being judged too harshly because I am perfectly fine having done hallucinogens. Maybe it makes me a little more inside my own head, but YOLO. It's only life, relax. After 5 months sober from weed and hallucinogens I am better than I have ever been, even before I was diagnosed. If anything I was self-medicating. I'm not saying I'm going back to hallucinogens in the future, but certainly can't regret it, because it only made me better. That's all.

P.S. maybe this well get deleted but it shouldn't because everyone is responsible for their own actions so we should discuss this rather than continue to exaggerate the subject and ignore the benefits of hallucinogens for treating mental illness and conceal it.

I think dissociatives (and marijuana too, for some people) are more dangerous to mental health than psychedelics. Anything that lends itself to daily or habitual use can become a problem very quickly if you're not careful.

I think most mental illnesses are over diagnosed. Especially in the the US where doctors are sponsored by pharmaceutical companies to push their products onto people... There's a difference between needing to get your shit together, making some lifestyle changes, simply being a bit eccentric and proper mental disorders. People in the first category will probably be ok using drugs, the ones in the second group might also be, but are more vulnerable to experiencing psychosis.

That you are fine now doesn't mean that you are not running some > 100 fold risk over other people to go psychotic (I pulled that number out of my ass but that is not the point) from a psychedelic trip. And even if it is true that you don't easily get destabilized from psychedelics, everyone is different and everyone's mental illness is as well. I'd be very careful about giving off the idea that you can generalize anything from this, and moreover that is not something I'd appreciate here consider it is a harm reduction forum.

It is not like tripping is a timebomb for every single diagnosed case of mental illness, but I do believe that psychedelics can temporary blur the lines between fantasy and reality... and mental illnesses where derealisation or depersonalisation are an issue can get severely aggravated that way, it seems perfectly logical.

as usual it can't be generalized. you can't say that it is generally this or that because everybody is different. and some people have a whacky personality/psyche allready without any dope, I would then recommend to abstain.

I've known a dude (he was kind of a friend) who did not trip on psychedelics, but he was on severe GBL-abuse and smoked weed and synthetic cannabinoids all the time. he also had some issues in life that remained unsolved, often in nightlife he tried to pull a fight out of nothing, got angry about some bollocks. I believe that his problems and the combination of drugs lastly messed him up in the head. at the end of his "career" he believed someone of his friends had put hallucigenic stuff into his GBL to make him hallucinate. you can call this mental illness or paranoia, whatever. the sad end of the story: the young man killed himself by taking an OD of gbl.

I also deal with mental illness and felt acid helped me a lot. Honestly, I made feel like I must not be that crazy.

They are all relatively fine?... Is that why you met them in a psych ward? Lol
I think if one is diagnosed mentally ill, whatever the case may be, they should focus on keeping they head straight, rather than infer drugs which may fuel delusion. It's easy to kid yourself and justify your use when your so out of loop in your own mind.

Just my opinion though, thanks for the read.

i feel that generally psychs enhance previously existing thoughts and feelings.

thus if you feel like shit, they aint gonna be fun.

HOWEVER, if you can get to a place where you are working on happiness, you can use psychs to break past the barriers and think in a positive light.