• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hallucinations on Opiates?

TAVOR

Bluelighter
I've experienced several times some slight auditory hallucinations taking Dihydrocodeine roughly 90mg (quite low dosage).

This doesn't happen throughout the high, for example I take DHC at 8pm and go to sleep at 1-2am. When I'm trying to sleep and the high is already gone I experience a state of semi-consciousness in which I am able to hear more intensely as if I'm dreaming but I'm not actually dreaming. Quite difficult to explain.

I definitely don't think I'm nodding since I can easily snap out of it and the dosage of DHC is quite low, in addition the half life is only of 4 hours and I experience this 6 hours later and exclusively when I try to sleep not during the high or the peak.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Do you physically hear sounds, or are they inside your head? Are they voices, or just noises?

- Hopeless Soul

I find it quite difficult to explain. Do you know the feeling when you're falling asleep but you're still conscious? The closed eye visuals are more intense and the sounds too and they could be either noises or voices, it depends what I'm thinking. When sober this lasts 5-6 seconds then I fall asleep.
But when I've taken DHC they can last 2-3 minutes. Its pretty weird

I've read some other similar posts on Reddit and BL which suggest its probably the release of dopamine and the hyperactivity of the GABA receptor.

I've had similar effects on dxm, but never on opiates, or sober for that matter. If it bothers you, discontinue use, but I dont see a great health concern.

- Hopeless Soul

I don't find it concerning, just wanted to know if it was common or not, but thanks for answering.

Ive the exact same problem on opiate, sometime it's as if my thinking become voices. Even on suboxone. I took a week off for stopping due to that because I was 200% fucked up without any ability to concentrate.
My family isn't great opiate responder lol my grandmother experienced hallucination from morphine.

Sorry for answering the question you didn't ask, but I would suggest or warn you not to take and kind of opioids/opiates so late, if you really don't have to, like for pain management. I mean continuously on a regular basis. If you take it like that from time to time, it shouldn't be a problem.

They terribly influence actually disturb a quality of our sleep. It might appear we had a nice, quite, peaceful night, because there are many stages, important stages of our sleep, and importance of them is not yet that well understood. Some might be more important, than other stages, but the point is that they all are important for our sleep, rest and in the end our bodies. Opiates and opioids inhibit REM (Rapid eye movement) stage it appears, maybe the most important stage, and probably prolong another stage or stages, but even the stuff like benzos (IIRC) which prolong REM, but influence badly other stages also affect our sleep and capability to rest in a bad way.

Could it be that you hallucinate b/c you are exhausted (from repeated use at late time of day, what directly affects your night sleep?)?

are you sure you aren't nodding? sounds like it to me your "state of semi consciousness" is a classic sign for me that its the opi nod
and less mg is more in some cases, hallucinations are common more than you think
ever try around 30 to 60mg range? 90mg of DHC isnt a very low dose

Last edited:
I exclusively dose once a month to keep my tolerance low, not a problem of frequent usage.

In regards to what deos68 said, during the high and the peak I'm perfectly able to talk, walk and hold a conversation normally.
I'm not an expert in regards to opiate nodding, can you actually nod hours after the peak even if before you're functional? Because when I close my eyes during the peak this doesn't happen, I'm just relaxed.

It only happens when I "force" myself to sleep 5-6 hours later. Considering that the half-life is of 4 hours, I should have roughly 40mg of DHC which is 20mg less than the standard dosage that opiate naive patients have for pain management.

Btw I guess I will dose earlier in the day to avoid it

I exclusively dose once a month to keep my tolerance low, not a problem of frequent usage.

In regards to what deos68 said, during the high and the peak I'm perfectly able to talk, walk and hold a conversation normally.
I'm not an expert in regards to opiate nodding, can you actually nod hours after the peak even if before you're functional? Because when I close my eyes during the peak this doesn't happen, I'm just relaxed.

It only happens when I "force" myself to sleep 5-6 hours later. Considering that the half-life is of 4 hours, I should have roughly 40mg of DHC which is 20mg less than the standard dosage that opiate naive patients have for pain management.

Btw I guess I will dose earlier in the day to avoid it

sounds like a bit of nodding and take what you read or even what we say with a grain of salt
everyones exp isnt the same per say everyone responds different
nodding for me is going in and out of a dream like state even though i am fully aware of whats going on but then i dont ...weird feeling indeed, super relaxed, warm and fuzzy feeling inside sorta like being wrapped in a big warm blanket when the weather is shitty, and sometime my head with involuntary go back and forth lol
ive hallucinated a few times but nothing major

if your issues only happen when using DHC then its 99% likely that is what is causing your issues, far as them being dangerous IMO nehh

Happens to me quite often when I take my prescribed Opiates and Klonopin as I am falling asleep while watching TV or on the computer. I am still awake but not totally,kind of between dreaming and being awake and I hear and see things that are not there.

That's just "nodding"... What you experience is called "hypnagogia".

Try to enjoy it....I do.

^But doesn't nodding take place during the high/peak? The posts I've read here on BL mention that you basically start to slowly lose consciousness even if you're doing something.

For me it only happens when I really try to get some sleep after 6 hours since my last dose, I'm also still conscious when it happens.
I'm confused lol

Edit: Think I found the answer in these two old threads, you're right its hypnagogia and apparently opioids tend to cause this especially if taken late at night.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-438961.html
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-648797.html

Last edited:
I experience this regularly too. And it's like you say Taylor, happens post all the fun stuff - though I do rather enjoy this!

It's like I will dream somebody says something to me and then I wake myself up when I physically respond ? makes me giggle to myself! I also find myself 'sleepwalking' around the house and every now and again I must fall into the next stage of sleep as I actually fall over with full force - not so enjoyable!

I've experienced several times some slight auditory hallucinations
Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks in advance!
Idk why it happens, but I close-eyed hallucinate like a mofo when I've taken benzos and opiates at the same time.

I have auditory hallucinations on opiates. It's always after I've been up for a really long time though.

I've never abused any hardcore opiates, only Codeine/tramadol etc so I've never truly nodded I don't think but once I've been up for 14+ hrs and I'm ready for sleep I start to like fall asleep. I get the falling sensation you get when you're asleep and you are jolted back awake except I'm conscious but I just feel like my body is falling then I get jolted into reality and usually when I'm falling I sometimes hear strange stuff usually sounds like children playing at a playground, at least that's the best I can describe it.

I'd love to know if anyone could explain what is happening to me because I have no clue what 'nodding' is or feels like so would be nice to hear what you guys thought.

People trying to talk to me about important work matters = auditory hallucinations, while I'm High.

I experienced some type of hallucinations, not frequently but only when I used much more than I should have. I'd see things so colorful and 'illustrated' to the point I wouldn't be able to tell whether I was dreaming or not. It was a dream versus reality sort of thing. I learned quickly that it was dangerous because in one of these events I had my first OD. In one of these occasions I remember thinking I couldn't talk to anyone as they would obviously notice I was using some sort of drugs.

It definitely sounds like a nod, maybe not very hard nodding but nodding none the less. It can get really strange when you're nodding in and out of consciousness, having vivid dreams when you are still half awake.