Mental Health Hallucinations getting worse

Atypical antipsychotics aren't really that bad
it's just Thorazine and Haldol that are bad, along with other "typical" APs

Atypical antipsychotics aren't really that bad
it's just Thorazine and Haldol that are bad, along with other "typical" APs

I have never had Haldol nor do i want to as it is really only used for emergencies such as acute mania or a psychotic episode or when nothing else works. I have however had Thorazine (called Largactil here), Methotrimeprazine and Prochlorperazine neither of which i found that unpleasant and i found them to have less side effects then Risperidone. Granted Methotrimeprazine is such a low potency anti-psychotic that causes so much drowsiness that it makes Seroquel look like Meth in comparison that even 10-20mg's will knock me out cold for a good 12 hours. I guess that's why it's rarely used as a anti-psychotic these days because a person would be like someone out of night of the living dead if you took a dose of Methotrimeprazine that was in the range to stop a manic episode or psychosis.

lurasidone and asenapine are the APs that gave me the least side effects...
lurasidone gave some akathisia but it was treated with benadryl and that did the trick.

Ok obviously i mean rx-drug-free , and anti psychs are the nastiest . Left brian wilson looking and talking retarted ....you probably would be in great shape if you had what it takes to quit your obviously required painmeds and benzos .... what kind of bullshit did you have to spin to keep your doctor wrapped around your little finger anyways ?

Had what it takes like not having a chronic illness that requires them, I guess? "Not having a chronic illness" isn't a personal toughness achievement, you know, and having one doesn't mean you're any less awesome.

Yeah organically , as in all natural , life without doctor prescribed psychoactives.

Do you take antibiotics? Pain killers? Are you vaccinated?

Do you go to the doctor when you get sick or do you just accept that that's the "natural" state of being?

What about vitamins? Alcohol? Chocolate? Do you eat food?

Ok obviously i mean rx-drug-free , and anti psychs are the nastiest . Left brian wilson looking and talking retarted ....you probably would be in great shape if you had what it takes to quit your obviously required painmeds and benzos .... what kind of bullshit did you have to spin to keep your doctor wrapped around your little finger anyways ?

Yeah organically , as in all natural , life without doctor prescribed psychoactives.

Its intrestng a young guy like you on prescr

Unfortunately, our bodies' exposure to chemicals begins far earlier than our ability to choose what we're exposed to does. I have some suspicions about issues due to my mom being epileptic and on medication for that throughout the pregnancy, as birth defects were expected and I actually came out quite better than anyone expected.

Your experience, while not invalid, is also pretty lucky. Consider that people on medication (psych meds, for our purposes here) got on medication because they were not okay without them. and if you think meds for chronic pain and benzos are obviously necessary, I'll ask you to consider this: I have chronic pain as well and when forced to make a choice about treating my chronic pain with pain meds and treating my depression, I chose to treat the depression. Physical pain is far more easily dealt with than psychic pain, though I'm glad you seem to be oblivious to this.

I see my prescribing psych nurse today, so I'm going to discuss some options with her. I'm flopping around like a fish when I go to bed at night, literally like jumping up out of bed six inches with random body movements.

I would also prefer to treat my depression than my pains. If I had to choose.
It´s very easy to be addicted to medication that relieves you from pain and when it comes the time to, the moment in life where you have to quit them, I believe you will feel additional pains and have much more problems in your life.
My guess is that your pain will be the least of your issues IMO.

Well i can honestly say i never had a opiate addiction until i sank further into bipolar disorder hell. Before i developed TN i used to make the rent punting off pills and i often had more gear then i knew what to do with. I remember when i was maybe 21 and this was before the whole oxy thing blew up i had gotten alot of gear and had it all in a hockey bag. I remember dumping the bag out on the bed thinking how the fuck am i going to get rid of all this shit? Turns out i underestimated the market because it took about 3 days to get rid of all of that and i had plenty of cash left over after the rent was paid to party. I only used opiates back in those days to work basically because my back was always killing me so a few oxys when i came home to unwind was as far as my use ever went. I never missed opiates when i didn't have them back then as i was mostly a alcoholic and heavy crack user and you can guess how i got the money to fund those 2 habits.

When i developed TN i tried to not get addicted to opiates and i was successful at that for years until my bipolar became much worse. I wouldn't say i became a full blown addict until maybe 2007 and i had been using opiates on and off since the 90's. Oddly enough my mood has not been as bad as it usually is especially given the fact that i hate fucking winter. I have been feeling kind of down but that's just the SAD.

Tizanidine WILL give hallucinations especially if mixed with oxy/hydro. I had a GNARLY episode last night. I'm prescribed hydro's and tizanidine. I woke up and saw two gremlin like creatures floating in the air in space suits. I"M NOT LYING. I watched them for 5 seconds then when I blinked they dissappeared. I ran into the back room where my wife was and was freaked the fuck out. I could barely go back to sleep. It was REAL (to me) Today is the day after and I've been researching tizanidine and hallucinations. The combo that most people had when seeing shit was tizanidine and oxy. I wasn't on oxy but I was on hydrocodone. The visual hallucination was terrfying to see fuckin' goblins in space suits in your house floating in front of you. I'm seriously not lying about it. I feel relaxed now that It really was a hallucination side effect of the tizanidine. LOL

So, I have always had a tendency to see little things move, or hear stuff that isn't there. It's never been a problem because I can usually reason whether it was a hallucination or not. But they're starting to get worse, especially with the audial ones. I hear knocking on the door and talking, singing. Not just when your brain is trying to convert white noise to something or deal with silence, but like really hearing it.

I just read a post from someone who had some luck quieting voices with CBD oil.
http://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/cbd-and-voices/6827

Here's an article from 'Time' that explains why it may work:
http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/...phrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/
The first couple of posts at the bottom of the article also talk about hearing voices.

That is interesting about the tizanidine and opioids (oxycodone, hydrocodone). I am curious as to what mechanism causes the hallucinations. I had a thought about opioids also being anti-cholinergics, maybe potentiation of this action by the tizanidine could have caused diphenhydramine, or scopolamine type hallucinatory effects but tizanidine is an a2 adrenergic receptor agonist and I am unsure how that would affect it.

It all seems like the rabbit hole of pharmaceuticals prescribed to treat the side effects of other pharmaceuticals. Nothing ever really is cured. Psychiatrists just keep adjusting and/or adding meds to keep symptoms at bay.

BTW hallucinations are a known side effect of tizanidine.

Last edited:
It all seems like the rabbit hole of pharmaceuticals prescribed to treat the side effects of other pharmaceuticals. Nothing ever really is cured. Psychiatrists just keep adjusting and/or adding meds to keep symptoms at bay.

BTW hallucinations are a known side effect of tizanidine.

Tizanidine is much like Clonidine and from my own experience i can say that Clonidine really adds to the CNS depression of opiates. If Tizanidine is even half as strong as Clonidine that way i can certainly see why it could potentially cause hallucinations. But hallucinations are a potential side effect of many medications from OTC anti-histamines such as Diphenhydramine and Doxylamine to Amphetamines. By itself it's not dangerous though i would say if you get that side effect that the med is not for you.