View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hair loss while tripping

Could it be this by chance?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

It may be hard to admit, but maybe you're picking away at your head too much and causing it to fall out.. You may not be stressed or having a bad trip per se but you may be developing almost a nervous tick..

When I was using lots of 4-mmc and 2c-e during a particularly stressful time in my life I found that I was pulling clumps of hair out of my head and in a way I found it soothing and relaxing of a thing to do.. Even though I've always feared going bald. I managed to stop and I dont do it anymore, I don't know if it's because I'm not stressed out anymore or I nipped in the bud before it became a serious issue.. I found it ironic that I feared going bald and aside from pulling my hair out myself, I wasnt actually going bald.
Maybe for you its a bit of an ocd-like thing, maybe you're just tripping yourself out, maybe you're really going bald, maybe you're bat shit insane, been bald for years and are pulling imaginary hairs out.

That would likely cause the baldness to be pretty spotty + you would not merely discover it upon combing + seems painful, can you really be oblivious to that?

Maybe his senses are out of whack and he's not noticing that he's pulling more than combing. I really don't know. I just know that when I used to do it, it didnt hurt at all.

You're not just tripping. The same thing happens to me almost every time, and the severity seems to be somewhat dose dependant, with LSD at least. A small amount(bit of dust in the corner of a small baggie) of 4 ACO DMT did it, and I've also noticed that after it stops feeling as thin, if I add cannabis into the mix it goes limp again and more falls out. It always takes a couple days to get somewhat back to normal volume, but it's happened so much that I can feel the breeze blowing through my hair, and my ears stick out now. I have slightly past shoulder length hair that used to be really thick, and now I have to use hair from the back of my head to cover my temples and sides of my head. This is after months of trips with about 2 week to a few month intervals in between. It seems to start after the peak, for me. I can feel the hair start to droop, and more of a breeze on my head, then my hair starts look frayed from all of the loose hairs sticking out. Sometimes washing it with conditioner doesn't help a whole lot until a day or two after I come down. I've wandered if it was all in my head for while, but it's gotten to the point that I'm taking finasteride. I also have signs of male pattern baldness(I just turned 23), but when this happens it seems to effect me all over. Particularly the right side of my head. I should also add that I have some health issues, that I think might be exacerbated by it, causing the hair loss, but I don't know exactly what it is. Ever time I trip I also get horrible bloating and constipation. I know that gastro issues are fairly common on psychedelics, but no matter how much time I space out between my meals and dosing it always feels like my intestines inflate, barely able to move food through and can't pass anything, but in small balls. I recently developed either gluten intolerance or celiac disease, which I know causes hair loss and similar gastro issues. I've mostly been tripping on LSD lately, which I know is made from rye bread, but the fact that 4 ACO DMT caused hair loss as well makes me doubt that's the reason for it, specifically. If you hear more from other people dealing with this or find any correlations, please let me know. I only see a few people asking about it, and everyone always gets dismissed as delusional.

^^^First off how does it "take a couple days to get back to somewhat normal volume?" Hair doesn't just fall out and regrow immediately.

As someone who is also concerned about his hair falling out, as well as has been taking psychedelics steadily for about half my life, I can almost promise this is related to some other issue and unrelated to your use.

I've wondered the same thing as I'm always concerned about it, my whole family both sides are bald, both of my brothers are going bald, but I've got a decent head of hair still (hairline somewhat receded but ok for me). The reason I do is because I do everything I can to live a healthy lifestyle along with massaging my head periodically to improve blood flow.

I've noticed the opposite actually, during periods of heavier psychedelic use my hair stays put. Also look at some of the top psychedelic researchers and they all seem to keep their hair longer than most. Do I think it's the drugs doing it? No..

People who use psychedelics tend to slowly change their habits to healthier more positive ones. This includes a healthy inflammation free diet and exercise, both of which will help you keep your hair. Also these diets tend to produce less testosterone than your average meat/bad fats heavy diet.

If psychedelics made you bald I'd be a cue ball right now, but if anything they've helped motivate me to eat a proper diet as well as try my best (without obsessing..) to do the little things to help maintain it.

Now I could see these drugs having some effect via the vasoconstriction some induce. HBWR and LSD are definitely two that induce it. This can reduce blood flow to your scalp which can lead to balding. Not all psychedelics cause this as badly though, and it can be negated via simple things like cayenne pepper.

With that said the issues for you guys lie in what you eat and how you live much more than what psychedelics you take..

Drugs I know that do cause balding; cocaine and meth without a doubt.

TIP: Everyday after you exercise bend over a bit and massage your head, do so in a way that doesn't pull too much on your hair. Also massage your head in the same way when you shower.

-GC

I do have a past relative who was a medic at Normandy in 44, and his hair (he was 27) turned from black to stark white by the time he got back stateside; there are pictures so don't question the fact.

That was -extreme- trauma, however. I'm not sure I can see a link to hair loss unless the trips, as mentioned before were ego-destroying or on a similar level. Suggestion of logging it / collecting it is the only way to find out if it's a real phenomenon.

@everyone jumping on how he is tripping when he notices it: he also said the hair loss lasts for a day or two, maybe it matters whether it's one day or two i.e. if it is also noticed after coming down, or confirmed by either someone else or by idk, weighing the combed hair..

You would really have to do absolutely everything the same other than the tripping though, and do it multiple times to get good data to 'prove' it's a significant difference.