View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hair loss while tripping

GaryGlisten

Bluelighter
My hair seems to fall out a lot while tripping, more on some chemicals than others. Does anybody else experience this and have ideas as to why this is happening?

You are tripping hard and its probably all in your head. Psychs dont cause hair loss your genetic do. They dont make your hair fall out.

I was on shrooms and brushed my hair back with a cig inbetween my fingers, I thought I singed some of my locks off, but thankfully I didn't.. I kept thinking my hair was burning all night long,, super lame trips

You are tripping hard and its probably all in your head. Psychs dont cause hair loss your genetic do. They dont make your hair fall out.
It happens time after time, every time I only have to touch my hair and some falls out. I comb my fingers through it and there are several hairs coming out each time. I've been hoovering up masses of it. After a day or two it settles down and hardly any falls out. There is a definite connection. I wouldn't have posted the question otherwise. I'm 51 and have a good head of hair but the quantity that falls when tripping has me concerned. I've been noticing this connection for 3 or 4 months now.

I'd say it's all on his head.
I too think that I notice more things like that though, such as muscle tone, skin texture, penis size etc., when tripping due to hyper-awareness of myself and my surroundings.

Most likely no-one will have any information about this. Even more likely, you'll be told you're just tripping. My recommendation is to either start keeping track of hair loss without and then with the use of psychedelics, or simply forget about it.

I would guess, like others here, that you're simply more observant of your hair loss while tripping.

Maybe it's time for the ol' chrome dome? Stop worrying about hair altogether? ;)

There can be a correlation between stress and hair loss. Are the trips were you feel like losing hair specialy stressful?

No, not at all. I guess there must be some psychosomatic reaction going on. A lot of hair was falling out during a trip on HBWR a few months ago and maybe I made the connection in my mind at that point and my expectation of hair fall is causing it to happen. The mind is a powerful thing. People have died after being told by a doctor that they only had a few months to live when it turned out that there was nothing wrong with them.

No, not at all. I guess there must be some psychosomatic reaction going on. A lot of hair was falling out during a trip on HBWR a few months ago and maybe I made the connection in my mind at that point and my expectation of hair fall is causing it to happen. The mind is a powerful thing. People have died after being told by a doctor that they only had a few months to live when it turned out that there was nothing wrong with them.

What's happening is thst your 51 and your losing your hair at a normal rate and nothing sinister is going on here.
Your just becoming hyper a are of this fact while on psychedelics and so you fixate on thst particular thing .
I often become hyper aware of my digestive system or even my tongue and I find it extremely difficult to talk be a useful I'm so focused and fixated on how my tongue moves when I'm speaking.

Like I said GaryGlisten, you won't find much help here. You should really start taking notes of hair loss and create your own dataset which can then prove that yes, this is happening, if it is. Most of what you're going to find here is posters telling you you're delusional, lying, or the like because this doesn't fit within their approved and decided upon reality.

If you were to find a connection between the two it could actually be a big help in furthering our understanding of psychedelics and our bodies.

Hardly any falls out when I don't take them. I'm not making this up.
What's you're not taking into account is thst you are expecting your senses to be trustworthy while tripping on drugs that distort your senses and perceptions.
When I was a teenager I had a buddy who got ultra paranoid that he had a receiving hairline whenever he smoked pot.
He constantly be checking it in the mirror whenever he was fucked up.
Flashforward 20 years later and he actually still has a full mop head of hair.
At least take into account that only see some to happen when you are on perception altering drugs.

Like I said GaryGlisten, you won't find much help here. You should really start taking notes of hair loss and create your own dataset which can then prove that yes, this is happening, if it is. Most of what you're going to find here is posters telling you you're delusional, lying, or the like because this doesn't fit within their approved and decided upon reality.

If you were to find a connection between the two it could actually be a big help in furthering our understanding of psychedelics and our bodies.
Ridiculous,
If you are serious about this you need a sober and objective person ( preferably more than one) to tell you if the phenomenon is actually occurring while you're under the influence of mind altering drugs.
Like how can objectively conduct an experiment about what's actually happening to you on drugs while you yourself are on drugs????

The mind is a powerful thing indeed, but it's not necessarily esoteric in how that kind of thing you describe happens: the shock from getting news like you described could occasionally give a person a heart attack. May not happen often, but occasionally is enough for an anecdote like that.

Even if psychedelics would cause hair to fall out, it seems unlikely that it would happen acutely. Even for what is considered extreme and acute hair loss from e.g. chemotherapy it takes 7-10 days for the hair loss to begin. Hair turning grey from stress is an example of such stress reactions that you speak of, this too doesn't happen immediately.

If something like that were going on I would suspect something to do with hormones, the auto-immune system or some (epi?)genetic mechanism.

Psychedelics don't really act like that although some psychedelics are thought to affect the immune system a bit.

Even if you're right, I can't imagine how extreme your trips are if it affects your hair like that time after time. That you keep noticing it for another 1-2 days after the trip is I guess suspicious and a sign that it's not totally in your head. Stress can indeed play a role in hair loss. It's possible you're close to losing your hair to begin with and stress really throws your hormones etc off tipping you over the edge.

I'd still go with Occam's razor that maybe there is something unusual about your routine when you trip, that causes it. If not, it really doesn't sound healthy, if only because of what it implies about your stress.

I'd forget about something like your expectation causing your hair to fall out considering the pathology of it and far-going implications. Stress or something as nearly paranormal as expectations to do that are different things. Don't psych yourself out.

Last edited:
Ridiculous,..........................Like how can (you) objectively conduct an experiment about what's actually happening to you on drugs while you yourself are on drugs????

Maybe the same way that scientists theorize about evolution when they're right in the middle of the process and subject to it themselves :\

@everyone jumping on how he is tripping when he notices it: he also said the hair loss lasts for a day or two, maybe it matters whether it's one day or two i.e. if it is also noticed after coming down, or confirmed by either someone else or by idk, weighing the combed hair..

You would really have to do absolutely everything the same other than the tripping though, and do it multiple times to get good data to 'prove' it's a significant difference.

It happens time after time, every time I only have to touch my hair and some falls out. I comb my fingers through it and there are several hairs coming out each time. I've been hoovering up masses of it. After a day or two it settles down and hardly any falls out. There is a definite connection. I wouldn't have posted the question otherwise. I'm 51 and have a good head of hair but the quantity that falls when tripping has me concerned. I've been noticing this connection for 3 or 4 months now.

It stops falling out after a few days because at that point you've already made all the loose hairs fall out. Then you stop messing with your hair until you trip again. Then when you trip again, you start paying attention to your hair, and by then more hair is ready to fall out easily.

Gary call scalp med or snother hair loss club and get a experts opinion.
If you found out that this so called "phenomena" is actually true then let us know here, when uou see a doc.
Otherwise you got a whole range of possibilities to explore so this thread has done its job .