• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Had second back surgery in a year and pain is completely out of control. Wtd!?

Trev26

Bluelighter
I had a 2 level spinal fusion 10/18 and that was a long, hard, rehab which I was still trying to recover from, and after multiple injections throughout that year, nothing seemed to help my pain, and no PM doc would prescribe me pain meds. I saw 4 PM docs and nobody would prescribe me an opioid, even tho they all agreed my back was beyond fucked. Absolutely ridiculous. I was so miserable this last year from the pain I was self medicating with 30mg oxy but I can no longer afford them.

Fast forward to October 2nd last week and I had my second back surgery and at first my surgeon prescribed me 10mg norco which did nothing, so I called him and he switched me to 10 mg percocet which helps a little bit, but my pain is still completely unmanaged. My surgeon is a caring an empathetic guy so he does what he can to help me, but he said he can only write me scripts for 3 months after surgery than he would have to refer me back to PM. I have been told that there is no denying that I am in sever pain, however because of my age (26) I am being profiled, and i sit in the middle of the demographic which makes it a huge risk to prescribe me opioids. I mean what kind of fucking bs excuse is that?? Also, some of you familiar with my story know I have stage 3 kidney disease and cannot take any NSAIDs. So I'm between a rock, and a hard place, and every day that goes by is just absolutely horrific. I'm losing the will to live and just wish there was an off button. I've tried kratom, smoke weed, and am on lyrica, but nothing really touches the pain. I'm also on high dose steroids, along with a blood pressure medication.

I truly don't think I can go on much longer. I've been dealing with this chronic pain for 5 or 6 years now, and maybe it would be tolerable if a God damn doctor would just script me some pain meds, but they wont. Especially with kidney disease that is getting progressively worse it's not like I'm going to live that long anyways so I wish a doc would just be like, well this guy probably wont live that long anyways so let's just give him whatever opioids he wants/needs to keep him comfortable until he kicks the bucket lol. Unfortunately, I have not met a doctor who agrees with that approach, so now I want to just end my life on my terms, either with a drug od, carbon monoxide poisoning, or a nice bullet to the dome. If i decide to go out with an od, i would like to mix a bunch of opioids with benzos, and just slip into unconsciousness, but don't want to be revived and be retarded after. What is the amount of opioids mixed with benzos to guarantee an od, or is there no science to it? I can kill myself with other options obviously, but I just figured I would try to feel good 1 last time before I fuck off from this shitty place.

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to read this and has any suggestions. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place, and mods feel free to move it to the appropriate one if this is in the wrong forum.

So sorry to hear what you are going through . Death is not the answer though please don’t give up . Take his 3 months of scripts then get into pain management with the surgery and back problems you have all the proof you need to get into pm. If all else fails buy some oxy off a “friend”

Hi Trev,

fuck man! I am so sorry to hear this.

I wouldn’t try the overdose thing.
you could just end up having very painful kidney and liver failure and yeah, be retarded if you live through that.

I know how you feel. I really do.

I am so sorry you went through another surgery too.

It took me way too long to finally get a Prescription for some pain relief. I need a small increase though.
I just cannot believe how hard it is to get help. With the injuries you and I have, we would normally (all the past generations) be kept on as much pain medication as we needed. It isn’t like we are going to live too much longer and we should be kept comfortable.

what about methadone?

I really wish I would have gone to medical school Trev! There has to be a way to get you some help.
You need to find an old doctor. They are the ones who did get educated correctly about pain.
You are in California right? Somebody give Trev a referral to a good doctor!

Sending you a big hug Trev. ❤️

Hey painful one, it's good to hear from you.

It's absolutely mind blowing to me that they can just let people with diagnosed conditions rot just because they are at a higher risk of abuse.

You are also right in saying that 10 or 20 years ago we would get all the pain meds our hearts would desire, in fact, my doc told me they would get in trouble if they left their patients in pain. It's crazy how far the pendulum has swung in the wrong direction.

No doctor would dare prescribe me methadone unless I went to a clinic and I don't have the time or energy to go there every day. I tried that one time, and before I got take homes I would have to go there every day for like a year straight. Also, for the other poster who suggested I get oxy from a friend, i was doing that, but I've spent probably 20k over 2 years and can no longer afford that option anymore.

Fucking profiled? Fucking profiled? You are in pain, they know the reason, they know it’s real. They are opening you up causing More pain, and still dancing around the ability they have to relieve that pain “AS THEY SWORE TO DO WHEN THEY BECAME A FUCKING DOCTOR HIPPOCRATIC OATH CHRIST.

Sorry rant over not meaning to derail, I just keep seeing this American bullshit of a medical system, causing young men and women like yourself to end up in despair. It is not law or finance, a bad house repair or fraud scam. ITS YOUR FUCKING HEALTH AND QUALITY OF LIFE.

I really hope they overhaul your shambles of a system and soon before it implodes.

I need to agree, these types of situations happen predominantly in the US, in Brazil, where I live, we are poor, but we have a very good health system, much more better than the US' system, it is really a shame what happens there considering how rich the country is

I'm surprised you got even 10mg percocet in some places nowadays. They're really cutting down, especially after surgeries in young 'at-risk' people.

You could consider getting your nephrologist (for kidney disease / monitoring) in touch with pain management regarding your state / dangers of taking NSAIDs again. Sometimes that professional communication can switch it up when they might write off CKD III (it has been thrown around a lot along with particular allergies) from a patient. Not sure of your exact cause though, could temporarily clear some NSAIDs depending on your case.

Could luck out with a PCP, maybe on a strict pain contract. I don't know about oxy 30s though, they've really limited that.

Psych / abuse clinics may do a relevant high dose coming from oxy 30s. It can be a hassle but may keep you afloat.

Duloxetine, tricyclics.
Adjunct muscle relaxants.
Clonidine.
Ketamine clinics are likely out of reach.

Anything but strictly drug-seeking and demanding doses without backing information.

It sucks man. Such a crackdown when people have legitimate pain. Keep going!

Yeah it's honestly ridiculous. I really hate this fucking country. Such an overreaction to this "opioid epidemic". I'm literally in constant pain nonstop. My CKD is progressively getting worse, and I already told my nephrologist I didn't want to do dialysis so If i don't get a transplant then it's game over, but to be honest I really don't want a new kidney if I'm just going to be in constant pain and not get any pain meds.

Yeah it's honestly ridiculous. I really hate this fucking country. Such an overreaction to this "opioid epidemic". I'm literally in constant pain nonstop. My CKD is progressively getting worse, and I already told my nephrologist I didn't want to do dialysis so If i don't get a transplant then it's game over, but to be honest I really don't want a new kidney if I'm just going to be in constant pain and not get any pain meds.

yeah. I feel you.

I did find a general practice doctor who does prescribe some pain control.

it is bullshit that I am so miserable right now though. I should have a few instant relief meds in there.
i can’t complain when poor Trev is getting hardly nothing!

Did you ever try going to the patients advocate at the hospital when you are in a lot of pain?
That is the person who found me a doctor that would prescribe some pain relief.
she saw how Necessary it is.

i Am so sorry that we are living like this Trev. I think the scale is starting to swing back.
they have realized they made a huge mistake.

Exactly @Painful One, the revolution will come. Any “democracy” must have healthcare that reacts to patient failures. Also the Dr has this No.1 requirement hammered home all through training.

“Start any assessment with addressing then assessing your patients need for any pain relief.” A patient in pain cannot be diagnosed or treated properly as this masks all other bodily functions. This is as important after a trauma or acute case.

At this time The US are sadly doing the opposite!

There is the question of long vs short-term pain and what is effective. The CDC has issued statements against some of the draconian measures taken by some health institutions- how some states apply or interpret them can vary. Where the substance-misuse/abuse angle lies is unclear with comorbid chronic pain. (Not saying that is the case here just saying it isn't entirely clear.)

I don't particularly agree with the following perspective but I'll give part of the argument. I guess one of the things that has been drilled into doctors in some areas is how much harm they were causing by 'over-prescription'. How many people began opioid abuse/dependence after say, getting some after an injury, surgery, or minor operation. I remember getting a full bottle of oxycodone after some dental stuff that didn't even require it. Do no harm in the short-term vs long-term. Obtundation and high doses can mask signs just as pain can. Then there is opioid-induced hyperalgesia and chronic pain syndromes.

None of this also covers the fact that some people were selling what pain medications they received, and those aspects of that market. Someone was given the oxy 30s for some diagnosis, at levels that were more than enough for the person to consider the alternative of selling it. Pain management and other prescribers were the source of those official pills, which are now horribly being replaced by fentanyl and derivatives. It is terrible where I am in the NE US with the number of deaths. People dead from ODs don't get to remark on the guidelines. At least they cut down some on pill mills and deceptive doctors selling for essentially a bribe.

But the knee jerk reaction to those views is harming a lot of people who have been on the medications and not found alternatives.

Tough situation. There is starting to be significant pushback though, so hopefully people will get a better balance of relief.

Last edited:
fuck. is the first thing that came to mind reading the title. so many people around me ask me why the fuck i don't have an operation to fix my spinal issues that i eat pain meds for instead, then i read shit like this, i hate being right but even more so when i'm right about shit as serious as this, are the docs even trying to treat your pain or are they claiming 'you had an operation, should be good to go'?

Yeah Zonxx. I agree with you. I didn’t have the back surgery. A doctor told me they would most likely leave me paralyzed or in more pain. Turns out, I have major head injury that is the main factor in the pain. surgery would have made things worse.

I saw a lot of people when I was in the insurance business who did have the surgery. 98% of them told me they were worse off. I so did not want Trev to have the surgery! Now they have operated twice on him! Plus still left him without what he really needs!

People who are “not sure” about pain relief don’t know how severe fucking
pain can get. I make it day by day with a loaded gun close by. Just in case it gets too bad and it does a lot but I have managed to just hold on.

Trev, you don’t give up on finding some help! You get to different doctors, psychiatrist, whatever. Don’t you give up!
This surgeon has bought you some time.

People have gone batshit crazy if they think pain killers are not necessary.
The “dependence “ part or addict, whatever, is just a minor side effect for some of us.

they would most likely leave me paralyzed or in more pain.
this is exactly what my doctor told me.

People have gone batshit crazy if they think pain killers are not necessary.
The “dependence “ part or addict, whatever, is just a minor side effect for some of us.
this 'epidemic' is leaving real pain patients without hope, thus driving the very people they aim to 'protect' to use the drugs their protecting them against, so fucked.

I can't believe this is being allowed to happen in america. I CANT BELIEVE THAT NOBODY GIVES A SHIT. I try to explain to people that they are going to get hurt one day, get cancer, need surgery, get in a car accident...THEY DON"T GIVE A SHIT. They will see alright!!! it will be too late at that point for them.

It should terrify everyone in the country healthy or not, that people with fucking spinal fusions can't get pain meds. People that just had them can't get meds.

There is a protest tomorrow in state capitols all around the country...nobody is going to show up like usual...bcause they are too crippled to move or they don't give a shit because they aren't in pain...yet.

It should terrify everyone in the country healthy or not, that people with fucking spinal fusions can't get pain meds. People that just had them can't get meds.
yep. my mothers had 2 full - bone replacements (hip and knee) in the last 8 months, the surgeon refused to write anything for her, so if she didn't have a script from the fam doc, she wouldn't have anything to even do physio with.. pretty fucking rediculous

Yeah it's absolutely insane. I just spent 2 days in the er for severe pain, and dangerously high blood pressure. They have no problem treating my pain in the er I guess because they can monitor me, and are not afraid of me oding, but as soon as I'm in my own they tell me to fuck myself when it comes to pain meds.

I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow and am current on 10mg percs. What is the next strongest thing he can prescribe? Ideally, 30mg oxy would suffice since that is what I was self medicating with for the last couple years, but he doesn't know that.

Supposedly they were going to loosen the prescribing, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm literally miserable and suffering every day that fucking goes by and my surgeon is the only one who cares. I honestly can do unspeakable things to these pos so called pain management doctors.

It’s almost impossible to get prescribed pain killers. I had surgery and they gave me 4 Vicodin what a joke that was