• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

GSK3 Beta, an enzyme I’ve come to love

in the article I’ve just posted above, it is clearly demonstrated that GSK3 Beta is a vital component of dopaminergic signalling as highlighted by its role in amphetamine induced hyperactivity and the blockade of such hyperactivity bye GSK3 inhibition. here’s a link to a review discussing the role of this enzyme in reward function and it’s quite interesting. A fascinating fact I picked out of it is that according to the authors, GSK3 is vital for The development of psychostimulant conditioned place preference through direct modulation of activity in the nucleus accumbens including both the aspects of direct reward experience as well as formation and reconsolidation of reward memories. however, this only seem to be necessary for psychostimulant reward but not for morphine reward. furthermore, it was stated that GSK3 inhibition occurred after prolonged psychostimulant or ethanol administration in several areas of the brain and very likely contribute to the withdrawal symptoms from these drugs. On the other hand, morphine tolerance, dependence and withdrawal are associated with hyperactivity of GSK3.

i’m just theorising here, but from all the articles I’ve read i’ve come to the conclusion that GSK3 is the kinase of life. by that, I don’t mean Cellular life but rather emotional life. i’ve read that at least in the striatum, GSK3Beta is vital for effective/emotional activation as well as increased motor activity in response to dopamine. likewise, this enzyme is believed to be overactive in mania. interestingly, in a brain region called the amygdala which I think is responsible for anxiety, GSK3 activity can weaken synaptic connections by simultaneously inducing LTD and suppressing LTP. this protects against pathological encoding of anxiety and stress related memory/behaviours. this is analogous to how GSK3 protects against epilepsy by weakening synaptic strength in the hippocampus and other brain regions. however, One thing I find both amazing and paradoxical is the role of GSK3 in producing motor activation and mood elevation responses. how can an enzyme that should decrease synaptic function and strength lead to behaviours that in theory, should rely on greater transmission?
Well, the following is just my humble opinion and I would welcome your thoughts on this. basically, I believe this enzyme has brain region specific affects. therefore, whilst it generally weakens synaptic function across all regions, its activation in a specific region could indirectly affect all other connected regions. for example, GSK3 activation in the striatum May diminish postsynaptic GABAAergic function and thus inhibitory output to other Brain regions containing excitatory neurons. The overall effects would therefore be increased excitability of these regions. this circuit level theory is similar to the one explaining how drugs like benzodiazepines, NMDA antagonists and opioids can produce paradoxical excitement/Activity and behavioural disinhibition although, at first glance, they would be expected to produce sedation and tranquility at all doses. instead, low to moderate doses of these drugs alter brain circuitry to cause a flood of glutamate and dopamine by removing the influence of inhibitory neurons on various brain regions.
GSK3 is fascinating because of the large number of neurons substrates and receptors it can target with the most interesting being AMPA and GABAA receptors in my opinion. also, not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I feel that the ability of GSK3 to suppress LTP in the hippocampus probably helps protect us against unnecessary/ unwanted memories.
I’m really interested in the role of GSK3 in psychosis, unfortunately the evidence is unclear. it is well known that both typical and atypical antipsychotics inhibit its activity via antagonism of dopamine D2 and serotonin 5HT2A receptors. they do this via enhancement of AKT activity which in tern inhibits GSK3 function. furthermore, in rats or mice lacking AKT1 activity, locomotor responses and learning deficits induced by amphetamine were dramatically enhanced. this was in association with considerably increased GSK3Beta function in their brains. all this makes sense according to the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia/psychosis. however, I see three major problems with this theory. firstly, the dopamine psychosis hypothesis has undergone many refinements and shifts in thinking and is now generally not believed to act alone. Instead, dopamine imbalance is one of many factors which collaborate to finally alter cortical information-processing and induce psychosis. furthermore, whilst AKT signalling in the brain can certainly suppress dopaminergic activity via downstream inhibition of GSK3 function, it should be remembered that AKT has hundreds of well-known substrates in Neurons. many of these are involved in diverse processes, ranging from neuronal growth/ survival and synaptic function, including receptor density/Expression and stabilisation of dendritic spines. GSK3 inhibition may certainly help, but until proven otherwise, it may not necessarily be directly responsible for psychosis. in support of this idea, some researchers have found decreased GSK3 expression in the brains of schizophrenics. furthermore, psychosis from NMDA antagonists or cannabinoids does not depend on dopaminergic signalling and is not attenuated by antipsychotics. additionally, the small Study I posted earlier, which showed that lithium, a GSK3 inhibitor, blocked dextroamphetamine induced euphoria, but not amphetamine induced psychosis in schizophrenic patients supports my theory of dopaminergic uncoupling. this is the idea that most dopaminergic behaviours are not at all linked to psychosis, although excessive dopamine activity in certain brain regions May trigger long-term changes that eventually cause psychosis. The most likely mechanism is neuronal damage of inhibitory networks that feed into the cortex. with all this in mind, preventing unnecessary neuronal apoptosis and bringing together the fields of neuropharmacology and brain circuitry Will, in my opinion, be the Key to success in treating and maybe even curing schizophrenia. I also feel that it would allow us to use dopaminergic stimulants without the fear of psychosis and to repair the brains of those who have developed psychosis from stimulant use. after my temporary experience of anhedonia, which specifically affected my desire to pursue pleasure and anticipate rewards whilst leaving my actual experience of pleasure unaffected, I now have a negative predisposition to anything with antidopaminergic activity. interestingly, researchers have discovered a set of neurons in the brain they called the “psychotic ensemble“, A bundle of neurons that wen over activated generate sensory and thought disturbances. if dopaminergic signalling is uncoupled from this area, excessive brain dopamine activity will still probably produce mania and poor decision-making and impulsivity, but without the delusions and hallucinations that constitute psychotic behaviour. I know I’ve laboured this point a lot, but I just want to state one more observation I have made. Whilst amphetamine use is linked to psychosis in many people, in most cases, acute and even chronic amphetamine use at rather high doses does not generate psychosis. furthermore, people with genetics that result in higher than usual dopamine activity can be highly driven and highly achieving individuals and they don’t demonstrate any psychotic tendencies. all this leads me to conclude that excessive dopaminergic activity can, but does not need to, contribute to psychosis pathogenesis.
Weather GSK3 is directly necessary for human experience of reward or not, i’ve come to love and value this enzyme for its indispensable central role in dopaminergic behaviours.

as with some of the other links I’ve posted, this article looks at the possible downstream substrates of GSK3 in relation to mood disorders and schizophrenia. it doesn’t go into too much detail on any of them, and admittedly it was very brief in its discussion of postsynaptic regulation of receptors by this enzyme. however, in line with previous things I’ve read, it suggested that excessive GSK3 activity was more relevant to hyperdopamine dependent behaviours including bipolar disorder/Mania rather than schizophrenia. The authors base this idea on the observation that lithium is of little to no benefit in schizophrenia and does not address psychotic symptoms, whilst in bipolar disorder, it is highly effective in the suppression of mania.

found some more interesting articles, I’ll post the links if requested, though I think I’ve posted enough links for now. I’ve been trying to understand how GSK3 can induce mania and contribute to stimulant induced hyperactivity. It’s fascinating, GSK3Beta can simultaneously reduce The number of AMPA receptors whilst stabiliseing pre-existing AMPA receptors on the surface of hippocampal neurons. more specifically, GSK3 stimulates appropriate recycling of these receptors and protects a certain AMPA receptor complex known as the GLUR1/GLUR2 Heteromer. this specific complex has electrophysiological properties and channel conductances That generate the neuronal activity needed for hyperactivity, mood elevation and manic like symptoms to occur. GSK3Beta also encourages the phosphorylation of such receptors by PKA on the Sir45 residue of the GLUR1 subunits of the receptor complex. this is a necessary requirement for amphetamine induced behavioural effects and is heightened in mania. on the other hand, mood stabilisers, which are predominantly GSK3Beta inhibitors seem to increase neuronal number of AMPA receptors with an increased number of GLUR1 subunits delivered to the cell membrane if I remember correctly. however, with GSK3Beta blocked, subunit composition and conductance properties of these receptors are markedly different. receptor recycling as well as rapid modification bye PKA is also negatively affected. if I remember correctly, long-term inhibition of GSK3 can increase the number of Homermeric GLUR1 AMPA receptors which have exceedingly high calcium conduct. these calcium permeable receptors are necessary for LTP as well as behavioural habituation but also contribute to seizure activity and neurodegeneration under certain conditions. I now understand the confusing paradox of how lithium and other GSK3 inhibitors can I have short-term anti-convulsant effects, but simultaneously aggravates epileptagenasis in the long-term and enhance seizure induced neurodegeneration. this makes sense when you consider that GSK3 inhibition is necessary for LTP to occur, and excessive LTP is a necessary component of kindling in epilepsy. then there’s the effect of GSK3 on GABAA receptors, whose membrane and synaptic expression it is known to strongly decrease. whilst the direct implications of this effect on neurotransmission and behaviour is not yet well known, it is thought to play a major role in mania associated hyperlocomotion.

just in case anyone wonders why I waste so much time and effort understanding one particular enzyme, I can explain. as I mentioned previously, I’ve always loved the idea of increased energy along with the other effects of dopamine but have come to value it even more after I suffered a short yet painful bout of anhedonia lasting a few months. discovering that GSK3Beta activation was necessary for almost all dopaminergic behaviours, including mood elevation, hyperactivity, impulsivity, reward hypersensitivity amongst others got me really excited. Learning that the Pro apoptotic affects of this enzyme depend on the mitochondrial BCL2 death regulating proteins meant that we don’t need a GSK3 inhibitor to protect the brain, rather we can use inhibitors of the interaction between this enzyme and the death proteins which scientists must work on. unfortunately, I doubt they will as the anti-manic affects of GSK3 inhibitors as well as their ability to suppress psychostimulant effects are seen as a positive. yes, it makes sense when treating bipolar mania, but in drug users, or those with other psychiatric disorders long-term use of these drugs will probably just bring on depression or emotional numbness which is simply cruel and unfair In my opinion. let me just remind everyone that despite GSK3 being inhibited by typical and atypical antipsychotics and being central to dopaminergic signalling, it’s inhibition by lithium seems to be of Little too no benefit in psychosis weather related to schizophrenia or amphetamine administration. it should also be noted that in animal studies where such inhibitors apparently showed antipsychotic effects, The behaviour under study was locomotor activity. in light of the dopamine hypothesis of psychosis, this is somewhat relevant but correlation doesn’t always equal causation and I don’t think it does in this case. how do you know if an animal is having psychotic thoughts anyway. also, we all know that amphetamine increases locomotor activity in humans yet most amphetamine users are not psychotic or paranoid unless they use excessively. even then, poor nutrition and severe sleep deprivation probably play a more significant role. let us also consider the example of apomorphine induced hyperactivity, stereotypy and climbing behaviours. high-dose apomorphine is used as a positive model of psychosis in rodents in order to test the efficacy of potential antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic efficacy is defined by their ability to block apomorphine dependent behaviours. interestingly, prolonged high-dose apomorphine in humans can cause all the problems associated with excessive dopamine such as impulsivity and insomnia but not psychosis. note that aside from levodopa, apomorphine is the only other Parkinson’s disease drug that is A powerful agonist of both D1 and D2 dopamine receptors and according to currently held Scientific logic should be very psychotomimetic. this paradox could be explained by the fact that The dopaminergic pathway to psychosis could involve the D3 dopamine receptor which is highly expressed in the limbic system and strongly affects its function. on top of that, the D3 receptor actually inhibits GSK3 function as one of its downstream effects. unfortunately, the role of this receptor may have been overlooked due to its structural similarity to D2 receptors and despite promising results, developing specific antagonist to this receptor is quite difficult. Apomorphine doesn’t interact with the D3 receptor and this could be why it does not provoke psychosis.

AMPA receptor phosphorylation is a pretty dynamic thing though.

Serine 845 of GLURA1 is the one I am the most familiar with, as my knowledge is rather PKA centric. It does help with receptor insertions into the plasma membrane, but then needs to be dephosphorylated by calcineurin to keep the receptors at the surface. Replacing the serine with a phosphomimetic amino acid like glutamate or aspartate doesn't really increase total receptor insertion at the cell surface for this reason.

@Neuroprotection one thing I would warn about, is that science is messy. Papers often combine rock solid conclusions with conclusions that can be a little bit sneakier or things that are built on assumptions. The best papers give hints of this in the results and discussions, but often you need to be familiar enough with the types of experiments performed to know what is being stretched or omitted.

AMPA receptor phosphorylation is a pretty dynamic thing though.

Serine 845 of GLURA1 is the one I am the most familiar with, as my knowledge is rather PKA centric. It does help with receptor insertions into the plasma membrane, but then needs to be dephosphorylated by calcineurin to keep the receptors at the surface. Replacing the serine with a phosphomimetic amino acid like glutamate or aspartate doesn't really increase total receptor insertion at the cell surface for this reason.

@Neuroprotection one thing I would warn about, is that science is messy. Papers often combine rock solid conclusions with conclusions that can be a little bit sneakier or things that are built on assumptions. The best papers give hints of this in the results and discussions, but often you need to be familiar enough with the types of experiments performed to know what is being stretched or omitted.

Thanks for that informative reply. yes, it’s true, after years of reading scientific papers, I’ve got better at detecting spurious conclusions. to get around that, I usually read quite a few old and new scientific papers on a particular topic.

Interesting to know you had some good knowledge of PKA, I remember researching that enzyme extensively just a few months ago and I was obsessed with it. however, over time I discovered it wasn’t necessary for reward, hyperactivity or most other dopamine dependent behaviours apart from some aspects of learning and memory.

With GSK3, it’s a bit different. there’s no doubt whatsoever across the literature that GSK3Beta is absolutely vital for almost all of downstream dopamine receptor effects. this is why GSK3 inhibitors block amphetamine affects in animals and why lithium blocks amphetamine euphoria in humans. unfortunately, whilst lithium blocks the positive effects of amphetamine in humans, it does not block the psychotomimetic affects. in rodents Overexpressing GSK3Beta, or a mutated form of this enzyme resistant to inhibition, The animals displayed manic behaviours including hyperactivity, hypersensitivity to reward, decreased anxiety and unusual circadian cycles. since GSK3Beta is downstream of dopamine receptors and is constitutionally active, it is probably the major mediator of dopamine dependent behaviours and this hasn’t been disputed.

as I’ve said before, my interest in GSK3 is due to its role in mediating the effects of dopamine. i’ve come up with the concept of therapeutic mania. maybe it’s ridiculous, but here it is. given that this enzyme mediates almost all dopamine dependent behaviours downstream of receptors, tolerance to its effects cannot develop. this is why animals overexpressing the enzyme remain manic all of their lives. finding a specific activator of GSK3 even if that be through biased agonism of a specific receptor, could be highly therapeutic in human suffering from depression where anhedonia and fatigue are major components. it would be like amphetamine but without the neurodegeneration from excessive free radicals. Since this technique shouldn’t require dopamine release, toxic intermediates of metabolism should be avoided.

here’s something that might be quite interesting and relevant to all of us. GSK3Beta over expression in animals not only makes them manic, but also makes them more sensitive to stress. In these animals, their mania turns into depression if repeatedly subject to unpredictable shock. however, changing their environments can restore the mania. now, sleep deprivation is thought to inhibit enzymes like PKA, PKB and ERK1/2, all of which Work to inhibit GSK3Beta function. At the same time, sleep deprivation activates various phosphatases like PP1 and PTEN which indirectly activate GSK3Beta by relieving its inhibitory phosphorylation. together, sleep deprivation is theorised to induce hyperactive GSK3 activity in the brain. With the above mentioned animal studies in mind, I wonder if this is why occasional mild sleep deprivation can make a person feel so erratic and stressed when under pressure. However, when you have no worries, at least in my experience, mild sleep deprivation can enhance the rewarding qualities of things like junk food, masturbation, smoking And even just being an and even just being lazy amongst many others. i’m probably going to make a separate thread on sleep and mood but do you have any opinions on this.

Thanks for that. just came across a YouTube video that claimed the drug losartan, A blood pressure medication has neuroprotective affects and prevents amphetamine induced chronic brain changes. unfortunately, it apparently also reduces/Blocks amphetamine reward, again, reinforcing what I said earlier about protective strategies dampening reward

No, it doesn't reduce or block rewarding effects. It probably also doesn't really have much of a functional neuroprotective effect though.

With reference to something else you wrote earlier on, megadoses of GlyNAC does seem to dampen subjective rewarding effects, but only slightly. Having said that, it may block euphoria, I have no clue, I don't experience euphoria, but I realize that experience is the gold standard for many.