• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing time for a Sativa Dominant Strain.

Psychonautical

Bluelighter
Hey there folks, this is my 3rd time growing ever, i usually grow outside, but this winter i wanted to try something out.
I ended up taking a seed from some sort of Sativa Dominant strain it has 9 fingers on the fan leaves. It's truely an absolute monster.
It grew over 6 feet tall, and has one hell of a root network. I have been reading places that 16 weeks on average is normal for sativa dominant strains.
this plant has alot of buds, but it appears that it could definiately use more time growing. It has been in the flowering stage for 11 weeks.
I have 15 crown colas, and some amazing lower branch colas.

I know that usually all of this depends on the strain, ect. But i have read that to get a truly amazing sativa, it can take upwards up 16 weeks in the flowering cycle.
Any advice is awesome, and if you guys would like some pictures i can share.

I also have like 60,000 lumens from CFLS on the monster and have been only using black strap molasses as nutes.

as you stated totally strain dependant. iv seen laughing buddha from barneys go longer than three months plus and iv seen grapefruit by positronics finish up in nine weeks. best bet is to keep an eye on the trichs and also to a lesser extent growth out from the end of the heads. best of luck.

Oh i am, i'm watching this baby on a regular basis.
It's sucking up the molasses like sweet nectar. It's getting nice and juicy that is for sure.
I actually just gave them some essential vitamins ground up and dissolve into some water with an extra dose of molasses today.
Then i combination of fruit extracts and fishoils and they seem to have gone nuts since their nap this afternoon.

I have a pretty good idea what to watch for. I just don't want to grow it too long and have it all turn to seed or something stupid.

I really wish i knew what this strain was, it has an extremely fruity aroma, that is for certain.
And extremely dense nugs.

Could be anything, and it's definetly strain specific.

That said, almost every strain I grew took at least 4 weeks longer than stated by the seller. It's not that they're lying, their info is just based on the *perfect* environmental conditions, which are rarely achievable by home growers.

Also, slightly off topic: the fact that it has 9 fingers says nothing about the strain, IME. It's just a sign that your plant feels really healthy :). I've had Indica strains with 9 fingers on the leaves. Also had a Sativa strain with 13 fingers once :). I've heard from the growshop where I get my seeds that the guy once saw a plant that had 21 fingers. Now *that's* juicy ! :)

edit: fruity aroma you say, I recently finished some "Fruit Spirit". I'd link to the site with specific info but it's a selling site so not allowed. I'll post the info here.

Fruit Spirit is the current result of the never-ending quest for new flavours that send your taste buds dancing with every hit of the joint/bong. This marijuana strain is one of the sweetest skunks we have come across in our time.
Fruit Spirit is the current result of the never-ending quest for new flavours that send your taste buds dancing with every hit of the joint/bong. This marijuana strain is one of the sweetest skunks we have come across in our time. For the connoisseur smokers who are looking for a new flavour that will never get boring we are proud to present Fruit Spirit Feminized from Royal Queen Seeds.

Although it is a Sativa dominant cannabis plant, Fruit Spirit will not grow over 1 m tall indoors. Outside, it needs a lot of sun like in Italy or Greece and can even handle more tropical locations like Jamaica or Brazil. Outdoors, this Marijuana strain will stretch to 2 m tall and is not suited to colder climates like France and UK.

Fruit Spirit Feminized will yield on average 30-40 g per plant, or about 400 g per square metre under a 600W light. It doesn't stretch much during flowering , so fans of big main colas will be very pleased with the growth of Fruit Spirit. Consisting of tight, frosty buds, it carries an aroma that will have you itching to harvest.

This cannabis strain will require an 8 week flowering period, which is relatively short for a sativa dominant plant. Extra care and consideration should be taken to maximise the flavour of Fruit Spirit after harvesting. As always, our recommendation is to dry your plant for 7 days prior to trimming/clipping. Performing a dry trim will help to maintain this special flavour, which can be easily lost during the drying period.

The smoke from Fruit Spirit is beyond outstanding. Its combination of super sweet taste along with a pleasant head high is guaranteed to make this marijuana plant one of your favourites. The aroma experienced while growing this magnificent specimen is accompanied by an even more exquisite experience when smoked. Truly one of our best-tasting feminized strains, an absolute splendour to smoke with every hit tasting like a mouthful of blueberries. 
THC 18%
CBD Low
Yield Indoor 375-425gr m2
Yield Outdoor 475-525 grams per plant dried
Height Indoor 80 - 120 cm
Height Outdoor 200 - 275 cm
Flowering time 8 weeks
Harvest month Early October
Genetic background Blueberry x White Widow
Type Sativa: 60% Indica: 40%
Effect High (sweet taste)

Man that sounds like a delicious plant. gimme gimme gimme!

Do you know what is the absolute longest growing time you can provide a sativa plant.
I know for a fact that is plant is almost 100% Sativa.

Really hard to say.

You could use a microscope to check the trichomes (google this for more info).
If you don't have a microscope you could wait until almost all (85% +) of the hairs are no longer white but red/brown.

Also, again, I don't know what seed you had, but in this age of genetic experimentation there are rarely any seeds that are 100% sativa.
Even things like Amnesia Haze (generally thought of as "pure sativa" are 80% S / 20% I.

You'll have to trust nature on this one. Let the plant do it's thing. Just don't harvest too soon (was my problem the first few times). Even when you think it's finished, it doesn't hurt to give it another 2 weeks.
If you're *really* lucky, it might even begin to flower again. Takes more time, delivers more product.

Sativas are generally said to finish after 9-12 weeks of flowering. It could even take 16 weeks of flowering in an extreme case (eg when it's almost 100% sativa) .
But it's still an individual living being. I've used the same seeds under the same circumstances and some plants finish 2weeks earlier than the rest.

yeah man thank you for helping to confirm all of my suspicions.
I just needed another voice from out of the mists to say what i already knew. None of the crystals are brown, it is still in a heavy stage of crystal production.
You see, i already knew the following
A: CFLS mean you will have to have an extra week or two growing time. Just because you can have a certain number of lumens doesn't mean that the light is "powerful" enough. Sun is like 10 to the 25 power per cubic foot or something like that. B: This is quite the Sativa, the more different nugs i look at, and the different strains that i have gotten off of my dealer over the past while, It's Tall Stalky, i've done everything in my power to shorten it, from snapping it's neck but it is taller than 5 feet.

This is either Green Crack, or White haze.
I only say this because
A: the nugs are rock hard and plentiful and extremely crystalline.
B: White Haze, because there are pervasive white hairs and only some of them have begun to transform orangey yellow.
It's what i smoked over the past year at some point from this guy.

I know i found this seed in my bud before i smoked it. I've been holding onto it for awhile now...
I'm going to aim for 16 weeks. There will be pictures to follow tonight.

Last edited:
Hey there folks i just up loaded the images of a bunch of the different top buds on this plant.
I know it's not the most amazing grow ever. But tell me what you think.

d1ae54e851905fe34ab01589b49bde37.jpg

a8cdc2c01b765623c65fd561e3f98e50.jpg

f9f5495c028b4a09e8e83b0c1d32c25c.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmmmm..... Drool...

How are you sure its Green Crack or White Haze? You didnt buy several other strains last year? Plenty of strains can be dense and crystalline like Green Crack, and in the case of white haze all the hairs will be turning orange eventually.

The only way to completely verify 100% of course, is to send a cured nugget out here for inspection :p Green crack can definitely be dense and fruity though. Really it doesnt matter if you figure it out, those bitches are banging and you should be a proud father come harvest time.

If you take into consideration how many people i buy weed off of. Which is two different people.
Then combine that with the fact i only found 4 seeds all year. and ONE of those plants was female, which is this beast that you are seeing.
It's a Sativa, because i remember being told to watch out for seeds in a Sativa strain. I was also told it was Microwaved to prevent growing. (assholes)
But instead all it seems is the radiation has made the plant take off like a mother fucker.