View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing Psilocybe READ TOP

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
Hello, I just found out ordering spores to my state is legal=D. But I need a little advice with growing spores. This photo is what I'm using as a reference (questions are under it).
055317349-image13.jpg

So here are my questions:
1. What exactly is "honey water" and how do I make it?
2. How do I sterilize the "honey water" and how do I sterilize any of this in genreal?
3. What is a "PC"?
4. Does "LC" mean "land cover"?
5. What does the photo mean by "elevated shotgun FC"?
6. What does "FC" mean?

Shotgun FC is a big tub serving as fruiting chamber where the mushrooms will actually grow, that has holes in it as if someone shot it with a shotgun.

Liquid culture is like a suspension of floating fungus in a liquid instead of a solid substrate. The substrate is what the fungus eats. Actually liquid culture is a way to both germinate the spores, giving the fungus a jump start on the growth, but also the liquid culture will contain a lot more volume + mass you can inoculate with. So you can 'cover' more substrate (jars with 'food' for the mushrooms) with it than a spore syringe.

In a way using LC is a bit of an insurance policy since it will increase your chances of success and the speed of initial growth, once you are ready to use the LC. And in another way because you will see contaminations in a spore syringe ruining the LC without ruining all of your substrate jars. Which would be a bigger loss.
The catch is though, that making LC comes with challenges entirely of its own, like the sensitivity for contamination [making self healing lids with silicone helps] and the fact that a blob of fungus is harder to suck up into a syringe since it will clog the hell out of the needle.

So yeah, just inoculating jars directly with spore syringes is probably better for a beginner. You may wanna start off with a small batch to see if there are contaminations. Unfortunately if you do have contaminations, it's hard to know what was contaminated unless you propagate spores on agar in petri dishes first, which is also kinda advanced.
Sure, if you use a decent pressure cooker (PC) and let it run for a fair amount of time then it's unlikely your cakes start out contaminated. But bad sterile technique can ruin them every step of the way. I personally made multiple glove boxes in the course of my life, or at least the last 10 years, to help with the sterile technique.

You don't necessarily need one if you have filterboxes or jars with self-healing lids, and use a gasflame on the stove or alcohol flame to sterilize your needle every time you inoculate.

By the way you must use jars that have no 'shoulders', otherwize you can imagine that any clumped-up cake of fungus you grow in one is unable to get out if the lid opening is smaller.

This is a nice overview of how to grow, but it seems that because it is so (over)simplified you are likely to misunderstand and underestimate things - for example when choosing what TEK / techniques to use. So by all means first keep on going with this homework / research before proceeding.

IME the more 'homework'/pre-planning you do, the better the results.
It is a lot of work and time down the drain when you go through the process of innoculating jars from spores -> honeywater solution etc, only to find that you've had a contamination somewhere along the way and have to start again.

Good luck, it's well worth the effort when you get it right :)

Honeywater by the way, is usually made by a mix of water with honey - sugars are simple energy source, some starch (from cooking potatoes for a while and using the water) as compex energy source, and I add some yeast extract that has minerals / trace elements. A bit like a sportsdrink with a multivitamin, meant for fungi ;)

The sugar in the honey can caramelize though, mind you..

I've had enough fails with liquid culture, but also one time I had Panaeolus Cyanescens pinning on some =D