• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing psilocybe cubensis mushrooms... outdoors?

A flow hood is never "necessary" but just highly welcomed as it will help keep contams out while you're knocking up the jars with the spore solution and directly handling the materials.

On shroomery, people used to create makeshift flow-hoods by cutting holes in big, see-through storage container and taping gloves to the holes so that it would be airtight, but you could still see what you're doing inside. It's hard to explain but hopefully you can get the picture.

I think growing cubensis outdooors would be more of a challenge than woodlovers, and I couldn't see any real advantage to an outdoor cube grow due to higher risk of contams, and wildlife posing a threat to your crop. I do however, plan to have a nice outdoor woodlover patch at some point.

It doesnt cost much dough at all to grow indoors, buy a spore syringe/ print , a cheap styrofoam cooler, some ball jars , organic rice flower, vermiculite, peat moss and a small night light if you are good to go. $30 tops without the price of the spore syringe / spore print

I have two needs here first is to tell strong heart that you are well uninformed. You can not challenge natural habitat and expect larger amounts , second mold will not make you have a bad trip nor sick. The mold will kill the colonization process. You worry more about mold in door grows. I would like to tell you to never give advice again your wrong advice could kill some one, being you we're so far off on the posts you posted! But thank you for a good laugh.
M.H.F.I. Llc

Mold spores can definitely make you sick, it is just that if you have contaminated Psilocybe mycelium and it is still willing to fruit, as long as the mushrooms themselves are not rotten you can eat them. If you meant that, then it is true.

The makeshift flow hoods that are previously meant are not flowhoods but gloveboxes. I have one and I will soon make a second one.

Someone I know has recently asked me if he could do an experiment growing "used" mycelium further outdoors, spawning it to substrate underground. He is not even willing to pasteurise and I personally have little hope for the project.

Also I would personally not 'push' the boundary of the climate where a Cubensis 'can' theoretically grow. Instead I would (and will) choose other species, namely non-tropical woodlovers. I acknowledge that those are pretty much always more difficult to grow than Cubensis though.

I guess you could try to grow Cubensis outdoors and it could sometimes work, but I would never suggest it as a high yield large fruit solution that is just as easy as growing aseptically. If you want to grow outdoors, first inoculate master grain jars for spawn, then spawn that to bulk substrate inside a bag to contain it - preferably transparent so that you can see how far along colonisation is. Then when it is ready, set it outside. You can submerge it in the ground, but I don't see why you should remove the bag.
Trying to get spawn to colonise substrate outside and exposed is IMO a big fail, unless you are talking about wood logs.

Last edited:
But what about when some squirrel comes along looking for lunch?
Thats one lucky squirrel Ill tell you what.

So let it be written, so let it be done:

Mold spores can definitely make you sick, it is just that if you have contaminated Psilocybe mycelium and it is still willing to fruit, as long as the mushrooms themselves are not rotten you can eat them. If you meant that, then it is true.

The makeshift flow hoods that are previously meant are not flowhoods but gloveboxes. I have one and I will soon make a second one.

Someone I know has recently asked me if he could do an experiment growing "used" mycelium further outdoors, spawning it to substrate underground. He is not even willing to pasteurise and I personally have little hope for the project.

Also I would personally not 'push' the boundary of the climate where a Cubensis 'can' theoretically grow. Instead I would (and will) choose other species, namely non-tropical woodlovers. I acknowledge that those are pretty much always more difficult to grow than Cubensis though.

I guess you could try to grow Cubensis outdoors and it could sometimes work, but I would never suggest it as a high yield large fruit solution that is just as easy as growing aseptically. If you want to grow outdoors, first inoculate master grain jars for spawn, then spawn that to bulk substrate inside a bag to contain it - preferably transparent so that you can see how far along colonisation is. Then when it is ready, set it outside. You can submerge it in the ground, but I don't see why you should remove the bag.
Trying to get spawn to colonise substrate outside and exposed is IMO a big fail, unless you are talking about wood logs.

Listen to this man, op. These are words of wisdom. A more controlled environment is always the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to this man, op. These are words of wisdom. A more controlled environment is always the better option.

IME nothing beats Mother Nature when it comes to growing things. I've dumped out stalled/contaminated jars and weeks later they're fruiting nice big boomers.

But, if you're introducing spores to an area, it can take years to see any results.

Also, you don't need cow/horse shit to grow cubes in nature.

There are things to say pro outdoors, namely that there are beneficial microbes that can help the cultivation. But I would still recommend pasteurisation to at least try to kill the bulk of malignant life.

You don't need poo to grow, no. But I would use something more robust than only PF cakes outside such as straw or grains, if not poo.

I wouldn't make a hard rule of what I said in my previous post because there are ways to grow outside using proper precautions (such as avoiding using spawn on the edges of bulk sub if you are above ground - risk of drying out and having weakened compromised myc, and many others) that can be fruitful, and there are obviously ways to fuck up an indoor grow so unless we can compare two teks that are explicit to the letter it is pointless to ask for a winner.

Still, it is hard to outweigh the benefits of a controlled environment if you are not yet an expert grower. Because if you grow outside it is mostly out of your hands, and it can be hard to tell what went wrong. If you grow using a strict tek indoors then you tend to learn from your mistakes because the control allows transparency of the process. If during one step you get contaminants you apparently were not working cleanly enough.

Outdoor grows are mostly for the experts and the faith people.
Indoor grows are mostly for the meticulous and technical folks.
(There are exceptions to these 'rules' ;) )

That said I will be trying to grow Psilocybe Allenii on a woodpatch outside (since they are meant to be grown outside if you don't have a barn or something), a typical tek for that says to spawn to bulk wood chips in an otherwise sterile environment before you introduce it to your patch. In my opinion spawning it outside is a bit lazy and I don't understand why people would do it half arsed.

Last edited:
I just collected cow poos that already had cubes growing on them, stacked them up in a cardboard box, took em home, spread em around the back garden and kept the water up to them, they fruited fine all through the summer.

(an outdoor grower)
First off. Half of you assume there is more contamination concerns with outdoor...
Wrong!
This is how I was taught. Leave a slice of bread in your closet and leave a slice of bread outside for days.(presuming it doesn't get eaten by a bird)
Which one has mold on it!? That's right. The slice of bread outside doesn't have a single bit of mold on it after days of outside exposure. Why is this? A little thing called the Sun.. You may have heard of it. There is more contamination concerns with indoor than outdoor.

Believe me, I felt really weird opening jar after Jar of perfectly colonized grain outside for the first time. Now, I almost want to inoculate outside.

An outdoor operation IS cheaper. with substrate being about $8 for 100+ lbs of it. The only part that gets expensive is using grain. It's such a pain to clean, germinate endospores, finding correct water content with simmering and then sterilizing with a pressure cooker. Yes I said pressure cooker. This is where most of your money goes. You get some jars, pressure cooker, and spores already looking at about $100. But typically these will be one time buy for years of mushroom growing.

Second Off. putting spores on manure can take from 3 weeks to 3 months to produce any sort of results. I'd recommend having a spawn rather it's crumbled PF cakes or grain to get things going.

I would also like to say that pasteurized manure will colonize stronger but not at all necessary. remember were outside where the mushrooms came from. They love outdoors.

Third off. Growing outdoors is easy. If you can plant a peach tree you can grow mushrooms outdoors.

(an outdoor grower)

.....A little thing called the Sun.. You may have heard of it.

......remember were outside where the mushrooms came from. They love outdoors.

......Third off. Growing outdoors is easy. If you can plant a peach tree you can grow mushrooms outdoors.

The Sun? Is that the big shiny yellow thing up in da sky?...Uh huh...I HAVE heard of it!

Ok don't tell me...ummm...outside mushrooms come from???...ummm...???...hmmm...errr...oh, I know...outside?!

Does the peach tree need to grow in cow shit too???

Yer smaaarrrt...

mushrooms don't even need cow shit to grow on dumbass.. it's just the most common for wild cubensis.

and you specify that "outside" mushrooms grow from outside.. ALL mushrooms were originally from outside.

mushrooms don't even need cow shit to grow on dumbass.. it's just the most common for wild cubensis.

and you specify that "outside" mushrooms grow from outside.. ALL mushrooms were originally from outside.

Really?...ALL mushrooms were ohrijunally from outside...yer funnin' me now arncha? hiyuck.

And mushrooms don't even need cow shit to "grow on dumbass"...why in the werld wood mushrooms grow on dumbass?

whatever man. just trying to help out someone with mushrooms but you're a douche nozzle. Now I will leave this forum and never return. I mean shit this is an old thread anyway right.

whatever man. just trying to help out someone with mushrooms but you're a douche nozzle. Now I will leave this forum and never return. I mean shit this is an old thread anyway right.
What do you expect?
You respond to a thread started over two years ago and start talking down to people in the PD in your first fucking post...that is bullshit...especially when some of these people were growing shrooms when you were still pooping yellow.

This man is 100 percent correct last year I took 4 infected jars and minor infection at that but still infected right didn't even mix with a normal substrate threw them in with some soil from my cannabis plants I had outdoor what do ya know 2 weeks later fruiting huge mushies big I mean big caps

You 10000% can grow awesome mushrooms outdoors Mother nature kills all infections if you pasteurized cocoir for 3.hours and you have fully colonized jars you can take colonized jars hit them against a bike tire to loosen up the bird seed then mix with pasteurized cocoir and throw in a thick garbage bag and you will mix and throw a casing layer on top I guarantee you get a shit ton and massive caps guaranteed no infection!!!!! I'll show pics soon I have Penis envys... maz... and golden teachers going outdoors and will be massive

I personally prefer monotubs indoors but it's summer time and I'm sure everyone that grows has a few contaminated jars they don't wanna throw out

IMO it's rather that indoors vs outdoors you get a different sort of ecological balance. Contaminations overrun things that are sterilized, paving the way for unhindred growth... if you pasteurize or do none of that but just transplant mycelium then there is already a sort of balance between "good" and "bad" bacteria and fungi making it harder for some contamination to completely fuck stuff up and outrun your psilo which has a head start.
Indoors typically you are not looking for a 'balance', you will want your fungus to dominate heavily at least for a while, then later it should still stay strong enough to ward off contaminations by itself until it grows to weak.

Similarly with brewing you don't necessarily want everything ultra sterile (although it's ideal i guess), but you must make sure that your yeast gets a major headstart keeping bacteria etc in check so that you can afford what loose bacteria are just floating through the air, but not entire bacterial colonies and gunk.. When the fermentation settles down there should be other things limiting bacterial growth.

So no I don't really believe that about the sun or mother nature - if the sun's UV or drying effects were that detrimental it also wouldn't be good to your myc. And your mycelium is also underground and protected by a top layer.. If by mother nature you meant that balance then yes.
Obviously in nature things are not sterile so if a hospitable environment and balance has been achieved you can try to keep that good balance going.

If you are starting with a contaminated jar of substrate, I don't think there is a way to really tell how it will end up if you just dump it outside. If you leave it inside then you are sure to just let the - often aggressively growing
- contamination have it's advantage, outside in compost or put in the ground etc you will sort of even the score and also expand the 'territory' so that there is much less a question of competition and more coexistence instead. I doubt that it really kills the contamination dude, but yeah it will make it quite possible for your fungus to do it's thing to some extent. To still go through it's life cycle without getting completely annihilated.. sure.

If you grow outdoors then IIRC you should prepare your spawn in sterile ways, but as you spawn to bulk pasteurizing the bulk is probably better because you are exposing it to the elements anyway and you are much better off having good microbes promoting a healthy balance i.e. harmless ones fighting off harmful ones. Initially though, making the spawn is rather like growing indoors... Just like isolating your outdoors fungus on agar must be done with sterile technique, at that stage it's all still pretty vulnerable and depending on substrates you are switching between (agar, LC, spawn, bulk) it may still need to get going - to pick up the pace and establish a foothold.

Once I wanted to spawn Pan Cyan to horse poo substrate but it didn't take, weirdly it didn't even get contaminated either... or at least apparently not, might have been some stealthy bacterium. Guess I should have buried it in the garden.. another time I think Cubes dumped in the garden fruited some more, yea.

Am gonna start Lion's Mane on agar today to be grown in my martha, in the fall maybe make an outdoors patch on my balcony for other species.

Last edited:
This is my first outdoor grow I've yielded quite a few. I live in Maine. I'm having issues with insects any suggestions. I have nem and the domestic Earth yeah I know that's not the right spelling. But I'm afraid to put any of these around them. Pretty much got rid of the Slugs just looking for some suggestions anything would help greatly appreciated