• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing marijuana

xSound

Bluelighter
Is growing marijuana relatively simple and can it be cheap? Or no? I have been thinking about trying it. I plan to use the plants for myself alone maybe giving to friends occasionally. Just wanted to try growing seems interesting and fun.

Like growing any other plant it is 100% free. Just get some bag seed, put it in some fertile soil at the right time of year, keep it watered, wait a few months and you are done.
As long as you have access to seeds or a clones you really don't have to spend any money at all to grow decent pot. Only real problem is the risk.

Like growing any other plant it is 100% free. Just get some bag seed, put it in some fertile soil at the right time of year, keep it watered, wait a few months and you are done.
As long as you have access to seeds or a clones you really don't have to spend any money at all to grow decent pot. Only real problem is the risk.

Hmm. Yeah the risk is definitely there. But it's like you're already doing something risky anyways. At least that's how I see it. Anyways, if it can be as simple as putting it in soil at the right time then maybe I'll try in the future. Always been interested and if I can grow my own I can minimize spending a bit. In all honesty it just seems fun and intersting. lol

Yes, it's easy. You can also grow indoors under high intensity lights. You can order quality seeds online.

I've had this on my mind for quite some time now; I'm tired of the poor quality bud I've been getting off the street along with being shorted (I got a scale to try and prevent that in the future..)
I feel like my sweet spot to feel properly medicated for a full day is 1g/day which I'm having a hard time affording, so eigther I have to consume less than desired per day, or go for several days out of the month with nothing at all.
I would much rather just have one big ass stash that I know the quality of.

Growing from seeds is not easy unless you have someone guide you through the incubation stage, sexing, etc. It would be better for you to acquire some well established clones. Growing outdoors is relatively easy. They like as much sunlight as possible; light, airy soil; lots of nutrients (not miracle grow). Try putting them in containers (five gallon buckets or the like work well, with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage), which will allow for a more controlled growing environment and the ability to relocate them if need be.

It is so much fun, and such a rewarding and educating experience.

Yes, it's easy. You can also grow indoors under high intensity lights. You can order quality seeds online.

Yeah this is what I wanted to do. I want to grow indoors, but I'm not against outdoors. I haven't yet done the research about seeds but I have heard you can get them online. I'll have to research it.

I've had this on my mind for quite some time now; I'm tired of the poor quality bud I've been getting off the street along with being shorted (I got a scale to try and prevent that in the future..)
I feel like my sweet spot to feel properly medicated for a full day is 1g/day which I'm having a hard time affording, so eigther I have to consume less than desired per day, or go for several days out of the month with nothing at all.
I would much rather just have one big ass stash that I know the quality of.

Yeah, quality of street bud is for sure a reason I'm considering this. I would much rather know I'm getting gimped.

Growing from seeds is not easy unless you have someone guide you through the incubation stage, sexing, etc. It would be better for you to acquire some well established clones. Growing outdoors is relatively easy. They like as much sunlight as possible; light, airy soil; lots of nutrients (not miracle grow). Try putting them in containers (five gallon buckets or the like work well, with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage), which will allow for a more controlled growing environment and the ability to relocate them if need be.

It is so much fun, and such a rewarding and educating experience.

Clones? I'm not too familiar with growing yet I suppose. I will have to look into clones. How exactly do they work and can I get them online?

Last edited:
Clones are cuttings off a female plant that have been rooted and made into more female plants. They are very common.

You can grow from seed, but it takes a lot more than dropping them into soil, but it may be your only option if you do not have connections. It takes a lot of trial and error, but you will learn. The internet is your friend.

My advice is that if you grow from seed your first try, start with 50 seedlings and you may have a couple plants that make it to harvest. This is not to discourage you, but it is a learning experience.

And hop to. Plants are already a foot tall this time of year ;)

Clones are cuttings off a female plant that have been rooted and made into more female plants. They are very common.

You can grow from seed, but it takes a lot more than dropping them into soil, but it may be your only option if you do not have connections. It takes a lot of trial and error, but you will learn. The internet is your friend.

My advice is that if you grow from seed your first try, start with 50 seedlings and you may have a couple plants that make it to harvest. This is not to discourage you, but it is a learning experience.

And hop to. Plants are already a foot tall this time of year ;)

I'm not discouraged. I get that it will take some learning. So you can just drop seeds into soil and they grow? I mean if there is better ways I'm open to them. I'm just literally going into this alone and new haha.

Do you want to try growing indoors xSound?

If you're asking about germinating the seeds specifically (germination is where seed sprouts) then yes you can put them in the soil and they will grow. Get a small seedling pot and some sowing or cutting compost, which is basically just potting compost that is lightly fertilised to allow delicate seedlings or cuttings to grow without getting burned by large amounts of nutrients. Sieve this with a garden sieve and put it into the pot before watering it with a small watering can or a 2L bottle and a screw on bottle top rose like shown below. Get a dibber (shown below) or a similarly shaped object to poke a small hole and drop the seed into the medium about half a cm deep and cover with the soil. Store it in a warm area where temps are around 25°C, but it's not critical as long as it's warm enough and not too hot (no warmer than say 30°C) and somewhere like a warm airing cupboard will do, although I personally germinate vegetable plant seeds like tomatoes etc. with horticultural heating mats controlled by a cheap thermostat that uses a probe I place in the soil so I can get the correct temp for seedlings and cuttings. Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged and within 7-14 days they should germinate. With viable seed your germination rate should be at least 80% providing your germination technique is right.

There are probably different opinions on this but I would start off with a cheap pack of regular seeds which you can buy online. This will allow you to differentiate between male and female plants but you could start with feminized if you wished which would save on space and would cut down on the number of seeds you would have to germinate.

NSFW:
post-42006-0-48796400-1324261341.jpg

NSFW:
dibber.jpg

Last edited:
Most online seed companies will not ship to the states, unfortunately.

Seems odd considering how widespread the medical community alone is within the US, let alone the fully legal states.
I know it's still illegal on a federal level, but you think there would be vast markets within the USA for seeds

Most online seed companies will not ship to the states, unfortunately.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure most Dutch seed companies will ship to anybody, as the legality of seeds is grey (similar to psilocybin spore kits).

If they really won't you can also buy seeds in Colorado, DC, etc... But for a first time grower, growing clones inside is easier. From seed isn't difficult though, just adds a couple weeks of work (but is a better learning experience). My brother and a good friend both grew cannabis in college, illegally, in secret, in pretty tight spaces, and it paid for itself and they got pretty good flowers.

If you're not in a legal state it's hard to recommend though, the penalties are just outrageously severe.

No, not 100%.

I have looked into it (not thoroughly), and the sites I found said they would not ship to the US.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is don't tell anybody that you're growing, not even your best friend. The most likely way you'll get busted is due to loose lips. It sucks telling people all your plants died because in reality your grow is taking off and you are just realizing how much trouble you could actually get into. Just remember if you can't keep it a secret and feel complelled to tell somebody, how can you expect any differently from them.

^There is always that temptation to show off your grow, but resist that urge. It is so disheartening to check up on your plants in late september to find that someone cut all the tops off... or worse. In fact, on top of not showing or telling anyone about my plants, I also put them in different locations to minimize the chances of losing an entire harvest.

Clones are only easier if you can get them, you'd usually need to know a grower, or be somewhere clones are legal to sell, then you wouldn't be coming to Bluelight for advice.

You do need to keep clones & a mother plant, so you'll want two separate growing areas if you're growing indoors. After that first grow you need to be growing from cuttings rather than seed.

Last edited:
Definitely if you are in a position to grow from clones, do that. They take far less time to grow to size and you'll spend less on electricity if growing indoors because of the shorter veg time. Seed plants do yield more though, so if you're growing outdoors it's arguably worth growing from seed rather than cutting but cuttings offer advantages seed plants don't, such as giving plants of known characteristics and being cheaper because you don't have to keep buying seeds form a breeder, you have the plant for years.

Having a healthy mother plant from which to take cuttings is an important thing to have. There are different ways of doing things but I would advise you to grow a bonsai mum which will allow you to take cuttings from a plan that takes up only 8 inches by 8 inches like the plant shown in the photo below from Oltimer1's website, Cannabase.

NSFW:
1.jpg

Oldtimer1 describes the technique on his Cannabase website which is straightforward and allows you to have multiple strains in a very small area with simple, cheap low power T5 shop lights.

Last edited:
You know, I cannot wait until cannabis is legalized outright and I can have a couple of houseplants and not have to worry about it at all. It is amazing how some strains will adapt to an indoor environment with only window light. I love to just look at a plant growing next to my computer. I have such adoration for the plant, even if I do not care for the high (unless twisted to the gills on opiates).