• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Growing Ephedra / Khat plants

acklac7

Ex-Bluelighter
No idea what sub-forum this belongs in, so I'll just throw it in here.

Has anyone ever successfully grown Ephedra / Khat plants? I'm looking to get into it this year and could use some advice!

Thanks!

I know khat has pretty specific growing conditions. In the age of the internet, the one thing I've always wanted to try but found almost impossible to get my hands on was khat leaves. I guess they have a very short shelf life so you have to use them pretty quick after harvesting. So basically if you want to try it you have to go to africa or settle for something like methcathinone or mephedrone (methylmethcathinone).

I don't know about ephedra... for me, it doesn't offer anything you can't get from the pharmacy or your friendly neighborhood drug dealer.

If you want an easy to grow drug... there's opium. Just throw the seeds in some dirt and they'll grow. You can slice them to make smokable opium, but its pretty time consuming. Or you can let them dry and make pod tea.

I don't know about ephedra... for me, it doesn't offer anything you can't get from the pharmacy or your friendly neighborhood drug dealer.
It's pure. It's natural. It's organic.

I want to try expirmenting with natural, organic stimulants, just for a change-of-pace.

If you want an easy to grow drug... there's opium. Just throw the seeds in some dirt and they'll grow. You can slice them to make smokable opium, but its pretty time consuming. Or you can let them dry and make pod tea.
I don't do opioids. I've just never been a fan, man. They don't do anything for me, most often they just make me nauseous.

I had an ephedra nervadensis plant years ago, stood on a sunny windows facing south but It didn’t grow very much for whatever reason. I think for getting a high out of your ephedra plant it has to be a little bigger than the ones that can stand in front of your window.

It's pure. It's natural. It's organic.

I want to try expirmenting with natural, organic stimulants, just for a change-of-pace.

I'm all for experimenting with things in the interest of health, but coming from a plant means nothing. Many would attest that poppy tea withdrawals are worse than IV morphine withdrawals. Then there are a hundred plants whose contents can kill or torture

I tried Khat couple of times. I couldn't get it to grow from decent size seedlings. I think it was my climate, too cool

I’ve grown Ephedra and it’s very easy to grow. Enjoys slightly drier climate. The seedlings contain S-cathinone although I’ve found it’s hit or miss. Sometimes they feel like they do and sometimes not, still figuring that out.

-GC

I’ve grown Ephedra and it’s very easy to grow. Enjoys slightly drier climate. The seedlings contain S-cathinone although I’ve found it’s hit or miss. Sometimes they feel like they do and sometimes not, still figuring that out.

-GC
So, planting in drier parts of the year?

My climate is similar to LA, & pretty dry compared to other places in australia.

Good reminder about Ephedra. (by comparison, i've been told a few times Kratom won't grow here) :)

So, planting in drier parts of the year?

My climate is similar to LA, & pretty dry compared to other places in australia.

Good reminder about Ephedra. (by comparison, i've been told a few times Kratom won't grow here) :)

Honestly they just prefer it. You can have them in pots just about anywhere. I’ve got mine in mix of cactus soil with some sand in there too. Water them 2-3 times a week, but they can survive periods with much less.

-GC

No idea what sub-forum this belongs in, so I'll just throw it in here.

Has anyone ever successfully grown Ephedra / Khat plants? I'm looking to get into it this year and could use some advice!

Thanks!
Hi in the past year I have tried growing both.

I was excited to get my ephedra plant and at first it was thriving indoor. Then it seem to get a white rust... which on closer inspection was mealy bug. By the time I solved the mealy bug issue the plant was all but dead (and it wasnt cheap or easy to find in Australia).

The one Khat plant I had however.. was unaffected and is still thriving some 8 months on. I ordered and added two more seedlings to my planters.
My current care strategy: Water on every third day. Currently indoor in large planters with a mixture of normal potting mix and perlite (for drainage). Two are in full morning sun the other gets the midday sun. I spin the pots around so they grow straighter and I plan to rotate the full sun with the midday sun location.

I let all mine die last year cuz I was still recovering from a major illness (maybe I still am who knows..) but plan to start a new batch of seedlings this spring. Ephedra is remarkably easy to grow if your not lazy/busy like me.

Hi in the past year I have tried growing both.

I was excited to get my ephedra plant and at first it was thriving indoor. Then it seem to get a white rust... which on closer inspection was mealy bug. By the time I solved the mealy bug issue the plant was all but dead (and it wasnt cheap or easy to find in Australia).

The one Khat plant I had however.. was unaffected and is still thriving some 8 months on. I ordered and added two more seedlings to my planters.
My current care strategy: Water on every third day. Currently indoor in large planters with a mixture of normal potting mix and perlite (for drainage). Two are in full morning sun the other gets the midday sun. I spin the pots around so they grow straighter and I plan to rotate the full sun with the midday sun location.

Live plants are impossible to find in US too, but seeds are easy to get and work great. Easy to germinate in soil.

-GC

There is some support Khat will work, athough its a slow grower. There aree growing guides. And the seeds and sprouts are on sale via the internet.

Ephedra someone on Bluelight wrote, prouts easy, and had an theory the young spouts contain ( a part ) Catine as active akkoids. I try to find it later on. Good luck on growing. You might consider adding Lavastrarch for extra nutrients.

I have grown a Khat plant, bought as a plant long ago. It was pretty easy to grow and a very pleasant buzz to chew. Not being the fastest plant growing, I didn't exactly get very much off of it.

What I do remember is that it was impossible for me to get another plant going from it. I tried cuttings and I even tried pulling a branch down into soil in an adjacent pot and keeping it there for months hoping for roots to develop without success.

Life changes, moving, etc., and the plant finally went by the wayside. It would have been nice to have five or six of them going.

You can get seeds?