• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Groin injecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbetty2010

Bluelighter
Hi all, hope everybody i well today.
I am doing some research for my college thesis and I am wondering can any IV users/past users tell me a little about experiences with groin injecting. I have read and spoke to users who say they use that are due to collapsed veins in the rest of the body.
My question is, do/ did anybody inject in the groin region even though they had no problems injecting at other sites on the body. And if so, why?
Thanks in advance for any shared insights.(this info will not be used in my thesis, its just for me to gain some insight)
Missbetty

To hide needle tracks and keep the IV use out of sight, to make easy injections because of femoral vein diameter, expecially when you have vasoconstriction caused by drugs\meds\physical condition.

It's a risky way to IV, be very careful and know perfectly what you are doing and the risks involved, injecting into the near artery could result in serious health troubles.
(Gangrene, Infections, Necrosis, Amputation)

I wouldnt think many users would choose to inject in the groin area due to the massive risk increase.
Its an area that seems more likely then anywhere to get infected or abcess and i know of one definate case (my father in law) where years of injecting in the groin caused nerve damage. This has led to chronic pain in his legs, made worse by the fact that because he is on high dose subs all he can take for it is tramadol and gabapentin.

Bunge is right, if you plan to inject in groin at least prepare the zone removing hairs, profusely disinfect with iodine solution like done in surgery and apply antibiotic cream various times after finishing.
Rotate every shot and mantain steady pressure with a sterile towel or cotton for at least 5 minutes after injecting decreases pain and hematoma and helps the vein's recovery.

Hi ya, im a current groin injecter and have been for 7 years. I started to inject there as i was rubbish at injecting in my arm. Doing it one handed is quite tricky really, having two hands to do it and also be able to see what i was doing was very handy and it also hid the track marks. Ive found ive missed far less by doing it this way, but im aware thats not the case for everyone.

Injecting into the femoral vein should be an absolute last resort. The femoral artery is very close and is easy to accidentally hit, causing serious health problems. That area also comes with an increased risk for deep vein thrombosis (Blood clots), pulmonary embolus, and abscesses. There is also a big nerve in that area that is seriously painful and can cause permanent damage if you hit it.

The safest method of femoral vein injection is only in hospital like structures done by qualified and expert professionals, many risks and complications can occur also in those medical condition like:

Pneumotorax, limph vessel lesion, embolism and decompression sickness, bloodclots, deep vein thrombophlebitis, regional and systemic infections and lymphangitis.

And yes, like Mr.Scagnattie said it's really the last resort as injecting in the neck........

Last edited:
I used IV drugs for a very long time, and managed to destroy a lot of my veins: they were not great to begin with and nothing like Bluelight existed back when I started using - I didn't take very good care of my veins because I didn't really know there were ways to do so at that time, the only real advice I got back then was not to share needles. Plus it was harder to access HR supplies like clean syringes (so I reused my own needles, a terrible idea as they dull extremely fast) and I was a desperate heroin addict so was more worried about getting drugs into me ASAP than the long-term consequences. Much of my IV practices/technique came from trial and error. It got to a point where I could hardly find anywhere that would register blood, it would take me hours and I would be in tears.

And I still NEVER injected into my groin. I knew enough to realize that the groin and neck were NOT wise IV locations. I found alternative locations on places like the insides of my legs. I even injected in some unusual places like the lower abdomen, which I wouldn't really recommend but is still safer than the groin. But places like the legs and the upper arms lasted me for a pretty long time because by that point I had become more educated/experienced about how to find veins, (such as feeling for those that are not visible or determining locations based on following the vein up from a previous injection site) and had more access to fresh needles, etc. I think what mainly killed the rest of my veins was injecting dope with a high level of acidic impurities without proper micron filtration.

I am now good at educating others on things to do and to avoid, and most people who say they have no other alternatives than the groin or the neck are mistaken in my experience. They just don't yet know where those alternative locations are or how to hit them. It can be learned :)

And getting to the point where a lot of your easily usable veins are damaged is preventable! But if you've already done so, there are ways to at least prevent further damage and find new injection sites that are safer than the groin. OR, someone could take a think about how maybe it's a sign that it's time to quit ;)

EDIT: I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I thought it might still be useful to you or someone else who happens to read this. I do know of a couple people who injected into the groin or neck when their other veins weren't collapsed and can tell you what they said if you want. (For example one reason some people inject into the groin as opposed to, say, the arms, is to hide the needle marks - but to anyone reading, in the interest of HR, there are better ways to do so).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Swimmingdancer, I find your post very interesting; like you I destroyed most of my veins in both arms in 1996-1999 injecting flunitrazepam and other hard benzos in liquid state only for oral use.

After 14 years no improvement and no recovery, they're gone forever so I'm shooting in hands, groin and right saphenous vein.
Which parts of body should I search for usable veins ?

I know how dangerous it is, ive hit nerves abd my artery and its bloody scary but i have a condition called raynauds and my veins elsewhere just arent suitable, theyre tiny and collapse pretty much instantly, even with microfine needles.

Thanks to Swimmingdancer's previous post, today I had a look on my body searching for usable veins never found before and yes, found 3 little but very visible on my lower belly!!
5 mins and I'm going to test them with 26G terumo, the sharpest needles avaiable here and will post results ;)

^Sorry I didn't reply to your earlier post sooner. Be careful with that area and try to only use the visible veins, don't go too low and get into the pelvic/groin area, and inject slowly as the veins on the abdomen tend to be small. Having said that, I personally didn't have any real problems (misses etc) with the veins in that area and IIRC I think I mainly stopped using them because I didn't want to kill them or end up with obvious trackmarks there. hepcinfo.com actually rates that area as being safer than the legs but I don't agree with them, the great saphenous veins running up the insides of the legs are good (but avoid the top/near groin and bottom/ankle). I don't think the belly is an ideal area but I do think it's better than the groin or neck. Are your leg veins no longer usable? How come you said you shoot in the right one only? There's also a couple other leg veins I found useful but they can be small, one connects to the great saphenous vein below the knee and then sort of runs parallel to it, and one is on the front of the thigh. Hands and feet are a bad idea in my opinion, but again are still better than the groin or neck. Hand and foot veins are very delicate and easy to miss or damage, plus feet are easily infected.

Just made 2 shots in the belly, chosen area is on the right near lower abs, in the middle between belly button and initial pelvic area.
I immediately noticed the tenderness of both skin and vein, so I punctured very carefully with the right angle and quickly registered; injecting about 0,1 cc every second didn't damaged the chosen vein, gently removed the needle and quickly applied a disinfecting swab mantaining some pressure for about 5 minutes.

It was a success, I need just some work on body/hands position and mantain hands very steady.
Left lower saphenous is very thin and difficult to locate, upper left and right saph. can be used but only with longer needles than 26Gs I got. Also I like to shoot in right leg because of bigger veins than left leg.

Never had any success IV'ing in feets, veins are too tender and could result in a rupture.

Man, bodies have so many easily accessible veins.... Kill the forearm, move to the upper arm, feet, etc

But why,,, the groin?! That's as bad as the neck :(

But not as bad as shooting it in your boner, as the urban legend goes...

Just learnt that in some medical emergencies femoral vein is used to obtain a quick and steady access into blood system with a cannula needle but absolutely not in groin region.

Just learnt that in some medical emergencies femoral vein is used to obtain a quick and steady access into blood system with a cannula needle but absolutely not in groin region.

No they do use the groin. Even in the hospital they often hit the femoral artery (maybe around 20% of the time). Obviously they are probably better about realizing it's in an artery and not actually injecting anything, applying pressure right away, etc, but still, that area creeps me out, the femoral vein is so close to the artery and nerve. Just because something is sometimes done in a medical emergency by professionals does not mean it's safe to do yourself at home :)

Glad the abdomen worked out for you. Remember to look for other locations to use and rotate your injection sites instead of using the same spot repeatedly. Also, using the femoral vein over and over is especially bad and can result in very nasty complications.

I inject stimulants for days on end. By tensing up and holding my breath I can hit the outer jugulars just above the collar bone with ease but this becomes difficult after a few days so rather than moving further up the vein with the obvious visual repercussions I switch to the groin and to be honest It's a move I've never regretted. By rotating the four veins I had no problems over a two week period on one occasion though the neck is a swifter experience as you can easily see what you're doing.

Thanks to Swimmingdancer's previous post, today I had a look on my body searching for usable veins never found before and yes, found 3 little but very visible on my lower belly!!
5 mins and I'm going to test them with 26G terumo, the sharpest needles avaiable here and will post results ;)

You're going to use a 26G on those tiny veins in your stomach? Are you serious? Veins like that should only be hit with a 30G, realistically a 31G, otherwise you'll destroy them.

You're going to use a 26G on those tiny veins in your stomach? Are you serious? Veins like that should only be hit with a 30G, realistically a 31G, otherwise you'll destroy them.

Good point Scagnattie, I missed that. I used 30G for that area myself. 26G does sound too thick. marione are you injecting something that requires a large volume of solution or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.