• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Grit weed... Do I make edibles, or trash it?

ErgicMergic

Bluelighter
Never thought I'd actually find this in Southern California, since I would imagine these dealers would fear revenge from the people they rip off.

I bought 7g for cheap and it was standard, lower-grade dank but burns exactly how "grit weed" (brix-sprayed) has been reported to burn: very harsh; black, oily ash; the plastic/silica sparkles when ignited. I did the scratch test and sure enough, it scratched the hell out of the underside of the CD.

I only smoked 2 small bowls until I realized what it was and still have significant chest tightness a couple of days later. I stopped smoking it, but before throwing it in the trash, I thought about edibles with coconut oil. If people can orally ingest silica-containing medicine like Opana ER's safely, but put themselves at risk of silicosis when snorting/smoking it, then how harmful would me eating edibles made out of grit (brix-sprayed) weed be?

Last edited:
damn man
-a stem in the bud an scratch a cd. and seeds sparkle - but you know that

If you are sure it's grit weed, definitely trash it.

that being said, i have been it tights spots, and "Silica gel is nearly harmless, and that's why you find it in food products. Silica, which is actually silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz. The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold moisture -- it's essentially porous sand" - http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/digestive/ate-silica-packet.htm

i've come across a batch of this stuff too a few years back. It's pretty nasty stuff.. I tried making edibles out of it and ended up giving a lot of them away and throwing the rest away. They weren't very effective and I couldn't bring myself to eat them knowing how the weed burned. The high seemed strange and the whole thing made me uncomfortable.

I called up the guy who gave it to me and let him have a piece of my mind. It took him a few weeks but he eventually became apologetic.

if you know it's sillica for sure then I suppose based on what MikeVick said, it shouldn't be harmful to make edibles. My thing was that I would never know for sure what it was. threw out an entire qp.

It's really nasty, I don't think you can do anything with it. You should take it back to wherever you bought it & demand a refund.

Making edibles out of it definitely seems like the safer option compared to smoking that weed. Better yet would be to make some green dragon or do a isopropyl extraction. The sprayed silica shit won't dissolve in alcohol or isopropyl so you should end up with the just the cannabinoids in there.

Some good responses here. It's a shame that it's tainted because it's actually some decent herb before it was sprayed.

Mafioso, that's terrible, man. Four ounces of tainted weed? Hope things were resolved on that end. I don't know exactly what it's been sprayed with, but whatever it is, it's very abrasive on the lungs. St3ve, that's a great idea! ISO seems like the way to go in this scenario.

I'll probably end up doing a few quick wash ISO runs on it to "wash" off the shitty, non-alcohol soluble adulterants as best I can, then make some edibles with it. Can I use two coffee filters, or would I need filter paper? Thanks!

Last edited:
Some good responses here. It's a shame that it's tainted because it's actually some decent herb before it was sprayed.

Mafioso, that's terrible, man. Four ounces of tainted weed? Hope things were resolved on that end. I don't know exactly what it's been sprayed with, but whatever it is, it's very abrasive on the lungs. St3ve, that's a great idea! ISO seems like the way to go in this scenario.

I'll probably end up doing a few quick wash ISO runs on it to "wash" off the shitty, non-alcohol soluble adulterants as best I can, then make some edibles with it. Can I use two coffee filters, or would I need filter paper? Thanks!

I'm imagining that even cloth would work fine to filter since you're simply dissolving the THC and other cannibinoids into liquid, everything else gets left as a solid and likely wont pass through.
That being said, acetone sounds like a more appealing solvent to use IMO due to it's rapid evaporation time. Either of those will need more than a "wash" however. Extraction via solvent (other than butane) takes a few days of sitting submerged before effective ammounts are obtained into the liquid (if I am not mistaken, I'm no expert by any means so someone with more experience may disprove me if I am wrong).
That or a BHO extraction may work as well. However since you don't know what your buds are tainted with, I don't know for certain if the substance in question is soluble in any of those solvents.

I don't think I would be able to bring myself to toss away any weed, edibles seems like a wise alternative since the digestive system is a lot less sensitive than the lungs.

I say try chewing on a small bud to see if there is any noticeable taste that is bitter, salty or sweet. This could give you some insight as to what you're handling and how to proceed. For all you know it may just be sugar or salt.
I can't believe people actually bother with tainting cannabis; of all drugs! Does it really add that much weight that it's worth loosing/pissing off customers over?????

You don't really know what's on grit weed. It seems to be mostly silica particles - either tiny glass beads or finer sand, but I'm not sure how they make it stick, I heard a few stories about it being industrial sprays with glue in.

Really the only thing to do is take it back to whoever you bought it from & have strong words with them. You don't want to consume it. You want to get your money back. You don't want your dealer selling it to other people, you need to make them understand what shit they're selling & how to identify it to avoid selling it in future & they definitely need to remember to not try to sell it to you again.

"Garbage in, garbage out" is the rule with edibles & other concentrates.

Silica is not soluble in alcohol but it is moderately soluble in water. But if your guy is putting silica on his weed then what else is he adding you can't see? Just ditch the stuff...

This sux, I would vote with my cash and obv never buy from the nikkah again.

Makes me glad I'm in Africa even the bulk swazi isn't sprayed it just looks less than amazing which is natural.

You don't really know what's on grit weed. It seems to be mostly silica particles - either tiny glass beads or finer sand, but I'm not sure how they make it stick, I heard a few stories about it being industrial sprays with glue in.

Really the only thing to do is take it back to whoever you bought it from & have strong words with them. You don't want to consume it. You want to get your money back. You don't want your dealer selling it to other people, you need to make them understand what shit they're selling & how to identify it to avoid selling it in future & they definitely need to remember to not try to sell it to you again.

This is a bad Idea if you're anywhere but England. Unless you have a good relationship with cannabis salesmen, telling him something that will effect his bottom-line drastically is not a good idea. You will prob just get ahhh shit, sorry I got from my supplier and I din't know anyway (at best, at worst the nika could take it personally as an insult to his weed).

Just find another source (I mean it's weed) and/if next time you buy from brix nikka ask how the stuff is before you order, ask if it's the same as last time, don't say why, if yes don't buy if no buy a lil bit and see.