• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Paraphernalia Grinder Maintenance

Nautica24

Bluelighter
What do you use to keep your grinder clean and working perfect?

I was wondering if Acetone over Alcohol is better to let the grinder soak in and gently brush?

Also how often do you all replace the screen in your grinder? Don't judge me but I've had my grinder for about 5 years now and never changed the mesh screen but was wondering if I should?

I’ve never changed my screen, not sure I can on mine... (Santa Cruz Shredder)

Acetone will work better and faster than ethanol or iso but either is fine.

Honestly you sound a lot better about cleaning yours than I do mine lol. That said I’m old school and grind most my weed by hand, save the grinder for that weed that kills my fingers.

-GC

I've only used isopropanol but it's always worked well, I soak all the parts of the grinder for an hour or so then go at it with a toothbrush. Nothing like that smooth grinder feeling.

As long as the screen still lets kief through and can be cleaned then I don't know why it would need to be changed.

My screen doesn't let kief through anymore after soaking it in isopropyl alcohol. I mean, that's what I want, I don't necessarily want the kief collected but want it ground up with the flower. I just wanted a 2 piece grinder when I got it, but all the smoke shop had was 4 piece grinders.

What do you use to keep your grinder clean and working perfect?

I was wondering if Acetone over Alcohol is better to let the grinder soak in and gently brush?

Also how often do you all replace the screen in your grinder? Don't judge me but I've had my grinder for about 5 years now and never changed the mesh screen but was wondering if I should?
I just soaked and rinsed it with iso alcohol twice after using for like 10 years. Good as new, and I got some iso hash as a bonus!

91%+ iso soak; evaporate and scrape up the goodies, wash the grinder with clean water and let dry.

/thread

i keep a nickel on top of the screen. and give it a shake when i grind bud. keeps thigs pretty clean and your kief production goes up. when i do clean it i soak it in 90% iso and get some good hash after.

I only use a grinder for bud that cured entired wrong or micronugs. Usually I just rub it between my hands (like I'm making a fire with a stick). I imagine i waste a lot of kief.

How do you make hash out of the iso washings? Just dry it out and roll up whats left?
Yeah, just keep evaporating and washing the residue off with less and less iso until it's all in one place. If you just scrape once you're wasting a lot of material. Then let dry for a while

like said before let dry in a glass pie plate scrape and smoke. never tired to roll what gets produced. it can be dry and crumbly to sticky tar like. always used a bowl, on top of the fridge is a good place to dry it has warm air flowing around it.

i keep a nickel on top of the screen. and give it a shake when i grind bud. keeps thigs pretty clean and your kief production goes up. when i do clean it i soak it in 90% iso and get some good hash after.

So I did this for years. Usually ended up with enough kief to hotpress ~1g kief pucks every 2-3 weeks, and that was on about a gram a day habit.

It works well, but it also works to push leafy matter (read: things that are not kief) through the screen as well. It's a negligible amount when it comes to getting high, tbh, but it's enough to ruin attempts at making hash with your kief. That shit'll still get you high as a mother fucker, it just might act differently than you expect when you try to do new things with what appears to be a shitload of pure kief.

Side-note: kief in a dry herb vaporizer is fucking heaven.

As far as OP goes, I always just submerged my grinders' individual components in isopropyl. Usually for an hour or two, with the occasional shake sprinkled in here and there. Some people suggest adding salt but I always felt paranoid that some of the salt would manage to stay in the grinder and, in turn, get into my buddha. I've never fucked with acetone or anything else, but I've read firsthand accounts of people that prefer to use it over iso' and there are folks who swear by it.

I don't really have anything against it... it's just that when I go into the bathroom I can always find isopropyl alcohol, so it's become my mainstay when it comes to paraphernalia maintenance.

Last edited:
soak in 99% iso. evaporate the it, and you get some dank hash.

after you get the hash out, it should be cleaner, but you can put it in the dishwasher and it will come out clean.

done this multiple times with space case grinders.

soak in 99% iso. evaporate the it, and you get some dank hash.

after you get the hash out, it should be cleaner, but you can put it in the dishwasher and it will come out clean.

done this multiple times with space case grinders.

So do you submerge your grinder completely in, say, a bowl or a ziplock bag of iso', or do you pour just enough to fill the inside of your grinder and then let it sit?

Just curious because I've always had a bitch of a time salvaging anything after soaking my grinders. I just end up rinsing them out.

Well I think you would get an std test regularly and try to make the guys you meet on the app happy and such.

So do you submerge your grinder completely in, say, a bowl or a ziplock bag of iso', or do you pour just enough to fill the inside of your grinder and then let it sit?

Just curious because I've always had a bitch of a time salvaging anything after soaking my grinders. I just end up rinsing them out.
in a mason jar or glass. I dont like to mix solvents like iso and plastic.

if its really caked, ill soak in, then scrape out the chunks with toothpicks, then re-soak it.

take it apart and just enough iso to cover the parts. do not use salt if you are going to consume what comes out. salt and iso is great for cleaning glass pieces. iso and some plastics are a bad mix. i put iso in an acrylic bong and as soon as i started to shake it i could fell it cracking in my hands, the entire bong looked like spider web looked cool but leaked. i use a mason jar be careful shaking it, it's more of shaking the iso around and not the grinder parts.