• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Great Withdrawal Taper Method For Benzos

SamanthaB

Bluelighter
Hi Everyone,

I saw the best withdrawal taper method I have ever come across before anywhere for Klonopin and wanted to pass it on to others, since many people can benefit from this information. Maybe most people know about this, but I sure didn't.

As most of us know, withdrawal from Klonopin is very difficult and has to be done very slowly. Even with that, withdrawal is challenging to say the least. It is often hard to cut the tablets into small enough pieces to do things slowly to minimize withdrawal effects. A psychiatrist on the website HealthTap says what he recommends for withdrawing from Klonopin is to take an emery board, slide your pill across it and ingest what is left. You do that once each day increasing the passes across the emery board (i.e. day 1 - 1 pass, day 2 - 2 passes, etc) until your pill(s) is(are) gone. I guess the rationale for this must be that as very small amounts of the pill will be shaved off by doing this, you will be reducing your dosage equally and steadiy each day from the beginning of the withdrawal process and each day going forward. Therefore, saving yourself from the uncomfortable withdrawal effects that people get when they suddenly drop, say 1/8th of a tablet, once every two weeks or so. This withdrawal taper method I am sure could work for other benzos as well as other tablet type drugs if needed. ;)

Last edited:
this is a very interesting idea, have you tried it yourself? or do you have any of the experiences of the people on HealthTap?

Hi Keeping,

I do not know if people actually write back in if they try something that the site HealthTap's specialized physicians recommend. I don't remember ever seeing any section like that. However, I will go and check and let you know. When I have a medical question, I use that site sometimes to see if they have answers to it. It is just another resource to use. I ran across the psychiatrist's answer when I used their search engine for Klonopin withdrawal methods or tapers, or something like that. I like it cause you usually get a number of opinions by different physicians. I think, but I am not certain, that all of their answers to questions are generated by consumers who pay a fee to get a number of answers to their specific medical question and then HealthTap posts them for people like us who want an answer, but don't want to pay for it, lol.

As far as myself, I was put on Klonopin last October to treat insomnia from a medication I just stopped taking last month, so I will be doing this myself soon. I will certainly let everyone know how it works. I am very excited about trying it, because I was going to cross taper, but I did not want to be on any more medications if I could help it. Now, I do not have to do that.

okay awesome Samantha, look forward to reading your account and best of luck :)

Hi Again Keeping,

The site does not seem to have comments from patients who have tried things the doctors recommend. When you have time, go check out the site HealthTap.com. You may find something that I didn't.

I will definitely send my account of how this taping method works. I probably will not be doing this until November 1st, since I have been sick and need to recover completely first.