• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Gravity Bong Lung Damage

I really don't think your bit of added pressure is going to damage. For a set amount of gas at X temp, pressure is a function of the container volume. Given the quite low pressure to start with in the bong, combined with the bong being drastically smaller then your lung volume, the absolute over-pressure is going to be nominal...can you hold it out with your breath power/blow out against it? If yes, it is lower pressure then your lungs have by doing so, and by extension, lower then your respiratory pressure during a deep breath.

The best I know on lung damage from repeated over-pressure is from positive pressure mechanical ventilation. In a person without pre-existing lung issues, it is a common problem on ventilation periods of over 5 days (at ~10~ breaths per minute) where the tidal volume is excess of ~11~ml/kg body weight. Typical tidal volume is about 7ml/kg, so for me that is 567ml, or over a half liter of air, at 11ml 891ml...almost a liter! I doubt your bong is pushing close to a liter per hit into your lungs, and I doubt your doing it for days on end 10 times a minute, it is seemingly, to me at least, unlikely that it would it cause damage.

I doubt your bong is pushing close to a liter per hit into your lungs

Actually lol, one liter is a pretty common size for a gravity bong. The 2 liter and gallon bottles are even more common to use..

Pjo4i.jpg

^ volumes of 15mg/kg are not unheard of in short term use btw, and ever here, the damage is still mainly chronic... it does not result from one breath, or 5, or 10 at at time, it results from 1000s non stop.

Maximal lung volume is much much larger and is well tolerated for short times, like..well...exercise and sex, where it can be >5liters. I was trying to take a worse case scenario of someone using the bong as a ventilator.

I think it depends on the type of gravity bong. Standard gravity bongs where it is denser smoke than normal but you have to still suck in to inhale- probably relatively "safe" as inhaling dense smoke can be. The smoke doesn't seem to be any denser than say taking a fat ass dab of concentrate. I'd say you can get about the same density and volume of smoke that way.

The ones that I'd be worried about are the ridiculous ones that allow you to force smoke into your lungs. A bunch of my buddies had cut the bottom off of a 5 gal jug, put it in a larger bucket of water, then put a bowl onto the top of that. To hit it, you first take the bowl off, push the jug all the way down in the water, put the bowl back on, light it and slowly lift it up, then take the bowl of and put your mouth on it and force it jug back down into the water. I doubt that is good for your lungs.

Back in my GB days I would use a 1 gallon water bottle and get 0.5g as the OP says. I often worried about lung issues but I figured that isnt more then my lungs can handle and my lungs would heal. When I was doing that it was like dabs before dabs came to be popular. One hit containing 0.5g is like sharing a blunt with a friend and taking that whole blunt in 1 hit. You are done and watching TV before you get high a full gram could knock me out on adderall.