NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

I bought the mother of my child Europe 72 and Live Dead on vinyl IIRC. Relationship didn't last, but that doesn't matter. It was much appreciated. I hope she listens to them with him. Or maybe not. Maybe I don't want him to get into whatever scene there's going to be 5-10 years from now when he's going to be interested in going to shows lol.

My kiddo should be at rockygrass and im thinking of taking him to dead and co boulder.. will see im still up in the air about dead & co and other adult shows rockygrass is on though

I was seeing 100 us + for half sets or sets vinyl i think.. new ofcourse.. but com on now that's crazy.. kinda blue was 32 us new.. 44 for twe

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the Dead and wondering if I could get some show recommendations? I've listened to 08-13-1975 (One From the Vault), 2-18-1971, and 2-20-1971. Well, 2-18 I'm listening to for the first time right now actually. But 2-20 is the first show I listened to, and now having listened to 10+ times, the one that I'm in love with and comparing everything to. Can anyone recommend either similar shows I would enjoy, totally different ones from what I've heard (different eras, tracklists, whatever), or just your plain favorite ones? I'm pretty sure I found 2-20 because of the Dead thread on What.CD, although I could be mistaken. But someone quoted it as one of their favorites, so I started with it, and goddamn is it good.

Hey psy, I'm partial to the mid-late 70s myself
September 9/10 1972 Hollywood
5/14/74 U of Montana
1974 Vancouver
1974 Miami
1974 Landover, MD
7/31/74 Dillon Stadium
May 1977 run Cornell--Buffalo--Hartford
11/4/77 Colgate U
4/22/79 San Jose State U
7/1/79 Seattle
79 Oakland 2 nights
11/10/79 Crisler

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the Dead and wondering if I could get some show recommendations? I've listened to 08-13-1975 (One From the Vault), 2-18-1971, and 2-20-1971. Well, 2-18 I'm listening to for the first time right now actually. But 2-20 is the first show I listened to, and now having listened to 10+ times, the one that I'm in love with and comparing everything to. Can anyone recommend either similar shows I would enjoy, totally different ones from what I've heard (different eras, tracklists, whatever), or just your plain favorite ones? I'm pretty sure I found 2-20 because of the Dead thread on What.CD, although I could be mistaken. But someone quoted it as one of their favorites, so I started with it, and goddamn is it good.

Dicks Picks 3 (Spring 77 run)
7/4/89
8/27/72
Downhill from Here is the perfect DVD to watch
i guess 5/8/77 is one you have to listen to, but there are better shows from that tour (such as dicks picks 3). 5/8/77 is strong, but it is overhyped because it was the first clean recording.
8/6/71

Those are a good start. After that you can research the treasure trove on your own :)

I couldn't ever really get into RatDog and particularly their solo material but I really liked Bobby vocals and guitar particularly in the 70s "cowboy songs" but his sometimes more subtle but essential part in other more Jerry-centric material as well. I like some of his instrumental stuff but like I said the original RatDog stuff not so much. Phil and Friends was always my shit though. I think that I've been to more of their shows than any other specific Dead incarnation/derivative (partly because I did a whole 12-night run once in NYC lol) although I've seen I think more DSO shows than anything, I probably did my longest actual city-to-city touring run with them doing it real gypsy style catching rides with people in exchange for drugs or whatever.

You may remember the Russian chick I was with for a while (although she was too spontaneous and free-spirited to call it a "relationship" I guess, I use the word "with" loosely, if I was willing to give up my whole New York thing and career and just tour she'd have been my old lady but I wasn't about to hop on the bus full time at that point), you met her at one GOTV, although it was more of an off-and-on thing. I met her first at a DSO show and traveled with some people she was traveling with but it wound up to be actually a really crazy situation, but it's among my most vivid memories, really, from that part of my life.

DSO. I have a special love for them even though they are a simulacrum although post-Kadlecik it's not what it once was. I don't know why on earth Dead & Company didn't use him rather than John "yourbodyisawonderland" Mayer. Although he can shred considerably better than I'd given him credit for knowing him only from his radio-pop output.

Dead n Company chose Mayer because 1- he is a changed person and is not all about the ego anymore. Bobby is looking for a true superstar to pass this down to and carry the torch. John K is a watered down Jerry clone at the end of the day. He is great, don't get me wrong, but he is a Jerry clone, but cannot do the job as well. Mayer has the potential to add his own touch to the music.

Meyer already has lent influence from what ive seen.

Do you think a torch like this can be passed or will fade away as original members pass?

Last edited:
no way in hell it fades. it is stronger now than it has been in a loooong time. JRAD and Dead n Company are amazing. When the original members are gone, I really think some conversaion of JRAD and Dead n Co will happen.

I hope your right. If you are it will be interesting to see where this trip ends up going...

giphy.gif

Kezar Stadium on 1973-05-26

(Spring 77 run)

capitol theater 4/27 is when shit gets really interesting than row along to.....new haven, boston, cornell, st.paul, Tuscaloosa, atlanta both nights, lakeland, pembroke pines, richmond, hartford and top it off with the 3 show june winterland run

if you don't like one you won't like them all, yet they are all mama and papa snowflakes if you're a piece of shit fan boy like i used to be

psy997, Weir and the Campfire Band are coming to Austin in April; I hope to go and I hope to see you there ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, that's a fuckton of shows to go through. I'm set for a while. The steel cut oats site in particular is really great, I'm loving reading all about the people and culture surrounding the band.

psy997, Weir and the Campfire Band are coming to Austin in April; I hope to go and I hope to see you there ;)

Cream, I just saw that last night :D I really, really wanna go but am unsure if I'm gonna be able to afford it. I'm sure as hell gonna do everything I can though. Meeting up with you is a definite incentive as well!

P.S. Are you going to both shows? Or which one?

psy997, you really can't go wrong. Why not pick a random sampling of the suggestions listed, but listen to them in chronological order? I find it makes things interesting. This past summer I went concertless. I am jazzed up to find out that Dead and Co are playing in my city a few weeks after my birthday.

If any mods or crew doing tour or attending Dead and Co, Wednesday June 28, 2017, Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio,
would like to have a cool tour hang, please PM. Excellent area to have a staff hang.

blossom is such an amazing place to see a show and the shakedown area kicks ass pre and post show. my tour ends in camden, though.

Cream, I just saw that last night :D I really, really wanna go but am unsure if I'm gonna be able to afford it. I'm sure as hell gonna do everything I can though. Meeting up with you is a definite incentive as well!

P.S. Are you going to both shows? Or which one?
I'll be lucky if I can make either actually, I'm broke and currently searching for a new job. Assuming I find said new job before April, I'll definitely be going (though I think they said it'll be ACL? As far as I know ACL is one of the most expensive things ever now...). Since I don't live in Austin I have to factor in a place to stay into my cost too; was gonna head there for Levitation in April of 2016 but it got rained out, and really I was only going for Animal Collective and Brian Wilson, the two headliners, and no one else. Anyways, I'll let you know if I find the money, and you the same, and we'll work things out when the time comes %)

damn..... so i just logged on here for the first time in years a few days ago. In doing some searching for an old friend, I came to realize that (username) michael had passed away. michael was a really good person and a huge head. I kind of faded off of BL for a long time and lost touch with him over the years. When I logged in, I had some messages and the like that clued me off to it.

Not sure if anyone in here knew him, but he would have def been a part of this thread. He ALWAYS had an opinion when it came to anything dead related, lol.... Anyways, just thought I would give him a nod because he was always repping the dead, even when this site was solely for electronic music.

=D