NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

I will make RR at all costs if it happens... i have faith.:)

images

4bca76cfecbae32bf553cee4def227ae.jpg

NSFW:
the-grateful-dead-steal-your-face-micro-fleece-blanket-cfb-syf-1.jpg
NSFW:

Last edited:
If they do keep touring, they've pulled a bait and switch on the fan base of epic proportions. The meltdown will be outstanding to watch. I blame Jill Lesh

I have not read up on what's going down, but if they add a few shows after Soldier due to the remarkably high demand shown for that show I'm not going to hold it against them as I don't think they would do this on purpose to increase revenue. I think they would be doing it to try and hook more of us up with the chance to see a few more songs.

At this point i'm not sure what they could even do that in my mind would make me think they ever slighted us. Basically 50 years of touring, allowing taping at their shows, allowing high quality soundboards of everything they have not released commercially and some of what they have to fill free archives to overflowing, never giving a rats ass about copyright claims on people creating and selling cool stuff with SYF or whatever.

Given all this.. Id eat my drawers if they did this as some publicity stunt. No way. I think they just wanted to do one last show. We all said, "wait a minute you have to be kidding me.. we need more!!" So if they add on a few shows and do a little east, central, west mini tour, Id say they are just trying to hook the nation up one more time.

If they are sounding good and keep rolling after that.. won't bother me a bit and it really could be attributed to the fans instead of the band.. a case off

NSFW:

Red Rocks Amphitheatre July 8, 1978
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute May 7, 1978

If they do keep touring, they've pulled a bait and switch on the fan base of epic proportions. The meltdown will be outstanding to watch. I blame Jill Lesh

I wouldn't be surprised if they do this.

A lot of deadheads (myself included) don't like Jill Lesh, or Peter Shapiro.

I understand that Phil is older and is not as touring as much but it sucks that he mainly plays either Shaprio's Capitol theater in Westchester and charges a lot for tickets, or Terrapin Crossroads.

I've also heard that Jill Lesh does control a lot of what the dead/Furthur/the other ones do, where they play, and even writes setlists.

Peter Shapiro is a straight up dick. Jill Lesh has Phil's balls in a vice and needs to step off. Whatever, the dead has always been about business. Like I've said before, it doesn't really bother me. I go to work to make money too. I just think a lot of people are ignorant to the big business piece that has always surrounded the band.

But, as neversick pointed out, their business model has certainly catered to the fans more than the majority of any other bands out there, so I'm cool with it and thankful for it.

I hope like hell I get tickets to this shit show in Chicago. It's gonna be so damn fun.

I have not read up on what's going down, but if they add a few shows after Soldier due to the remarkably high demand shown for that show I'm not going to hold it against them as I don't think they would do this on purpose to increase revenue. I think they would be doing it to try and hook more of us up with the chance to see a few more songs.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute May 7, 1978
this is definitely a cash grab
i'm glad so many people are going to enjoy the hell out of this, i won't even have to read any reviews, the people who really want this are the same people who only know how to rate a show 5 stars are generally allergic to the sound of shows they weren't in attendance

the scene outside is going to be worse than a phish show

if you want to see GD do your hardest to track down Joe Russo's ALmost Dead - these guys are fucking hard rock ,doing groundbreaking things with the songs we all love , and of course there's always DSO

anyway, great pick on 5/7/78! the friend of the devil, it's all over now, and brown eyed woman are hands down my favorite versions of those songs
the straw, music never stopped, scarlet fire and estimated are all top 10s.......LOVE LOVE LOVE this show

anyway, great pick on 5/7/78! the friend of the devil, it's all over now, and brown eyed woman are hands down my favorite versions of those songs
the straw, music never stopped, scarlet fire and estimated are all top 10s.......LOVE LOVE LOVE this show

Thanks China thats one of the songs I posted it for.

This can't be true, nothing is that bad.. well maybe.. we were on our way to a salmon show I think.. denver.. and we driving past one of the other venues and there was a show going on that was really popular with lesbians. I shit you not our rig got attacked, for absolutely no reason, by some really agro and fired up concert goers.. not even playing the rig got pretty damaged, it was fucking nuts.. mazzy star or who knows ... I pity they type A male pig that bought tickets for him and his secretary that night. They would have been consumed raw and never seen again.

These days I really dig the Bluegrass festies and bluegrass shows.. Used to really like panic as well.

As far a cash grab.. seems like a whole bunch of people are saying please take my cash.. so i guess its a mutually beneficial relationship.

i'm glad so many people are going to enjoy the hell out of this, i won't even have to read any reviews, the people who really want this are the same people who only know how to rate a show 5 stars are generally allergic to the sound of shows they weren't in attendance

Of course people dig the shows they were at? This is why I officially divorced myself from the whole wine connoisseur jam band thing. Way too much whining and snobby shit.

Alpine Valley Music Theatre July 19, 1989

East Troy 89 :)

if you want to see GD do your hardest to track down Joe Russo's ALmost Dead - these guys are fucking hard rock ,doing groundbreaking things with the songs we all love , and of course there's always DSO

Yeah people are going crazy for these shows in Chicago, and I wonder if most of them went to see the other ones/furthur/the dead, ratdog, or Phil, or phish/Trey at all within the last two decades?

I'm not going since I am nowhere near Chicago, it's very expensive and I can use the money for things besides this over-hyped expensive cash grab, and have already seen a bunch of shows. Plus you know they're going to webcast the shows.

neversickanymore said:
Of course people dig the shows they were at? This is why I officially divorced myself from the whole wine connoisseur jam band thing. Way too much whining and snobby shit.
Very true, then you have people who listen to nothing but jambands when there's all other genres/types of music to listen to. I love the shows I've been to but they're not all the best or five star shows and I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
I like to party and I like Chicago. That's the main reason I want to go.

CR, the young n00b he is, definitely knows what's up with Joe Russo Almost Dead, though. That shit is legit.

I was there :D Long time listener since about '88....I'm grateful I got to see them so many times before Jerry and Brent went to bigger and better. Used to see JGB with Meryl Saunders too...'dat organ.

That 89 show was probably one of the best times in my life. After the first show, everybody kinda went medieval in the lot. People dressed as jokers... old time dresses...and noblemen..lol....then some lunacy began. Fireworks, boingy noise makers...liquid enhancement, and all manner of adult playthings.

That venue is beautiful too..with trees on the lawn. The last night it had rained and people were going down a hill on the side in plastic bags..NICE. The Who was going to be there the next day..heh. After that 4 day stint we checked in a hotel, got cleaned up, and went to eat Chinese food. Ohhh the tea. Brought back a sheet and had many great times that summer.

The shows themselves were some of the best for me..Brent was on fyyyre...and they were all diggin' that energy. I have a trip report written somewhere of these times..details.

Jerry in an interview...'Who desn't want to live an uncluttered life?'

Last edited:
I was there :D Long time listener since about '88....I'm grateful I got to see them so many times before Jerry and Brent went to bigger and better. Used to see JGB with Meryl Saunders too...'dat organ.

That 89 show was probably one of the best times in my life. After the first show, everybody kinda went medieval in the lot. People dressed as jokers... old time dresses...and noblemen..lol....then some lunacy began. Fireworks, boingy noise makers...liquid enhancement, and all manner of adult playthings.

That venue is beautiful too..with trees on the lawn. The last night it had rained and people were going down a hill on the side in plastic bags..NICE. The Who was going to be there the next day..heh. After that 4 day stint we checked in a hotel, got cleaned up, and went to eat Chinese food. Ohhh the tea. Brought back a sheet and had many great times that summer.

The shows themselves were some of the best for me..Brent was on fyyyre...and they were all diggin' that energy. I have a trip report written somewhere of these times..details.

Jerry in an interview...'Who desn't want to live an uncluttered life?'

Solid post. I get sick of musical reviews of every damn dead show ever. I like hearing about the insanity surrounding the shows. That said, those 89 alpine shows were some of the first ones I got on tape. I wore those fuckers out. Awesome shows.

I've been to alpine once while on panic tour. It was Panic, Dylan and Phil and Friends. I drove through the night from the Kansas City show the night before, eating pressies the whole way just to stay awake. I was so spent by the time I got there and thought it'd be a good idea to eat a bunch of paper to stay awake. Almost lost my shit in the summer heat during Dylan's set, but reeled it back in for Phil's set. Fuck that god damn hill. I thought I was trying to climb out of the center of the universe during Dylan to get out of the crowd. Shit was weird, yo.

Damn thats quite the heady resume CS. Did you ever get to see legit WSP? I did once in athens in 2001

Gee.. I sure hope my favorite band's lead singer executes himself via hanging or bullet through skull before he allows some whore to ruin his tours and band..And I thought Yoko was bad.. lol..

I'll just never get it, you deadheads..

Damn thats quite the heady resume CS. Did you ever get to see legit WSP? I did once in athens in 2001

Brah, my first show was in 95. I saw mikey panic 80 or 90 times

:headytourelderbrah

And I don't think they played Brahthens in 01. I saw like 30 panic shows in 01. Was a good year

It was 2000 I was 15 and drove up from Albany with my sister and her friends. That was when I got into them. These replacement guitarists have never done anything for me especially Jimmy. Mickey had such a distinct style that drove the songs melodically.

Agreed, but jimmy is a million times better than George. I catch maybe one or two panic shows a year these days and that's only if they're local. I don't even really listen to mikey panic much anymore. Oh well, it was a lot of fun.

In dead news I've been wearing out the 91 box set. Great fucking year. Flame away haters.