NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

JosephTHeSequel said:
jesus fucking christ, all ill say is dso does not touch ratdog or plf... If you missed the last ratdog tour where kimock was filling in at lead guitar, u missed some of the best post-gd shit out there.
lets get excited over peoples opinion why dont we. ;)

I personaly get more out of DSO then phill/ratdog alone.

and I caught a show or two of phill and bob last tour. (granted I dont remember much... damn ketamine!!!)

JosephTHeSequel said:
jesus fucking christ, all ill say is dso does not touch ratdog or plf... If you missed the last ratdog tour where kimock was filling in at lead guitar, u missed some of the best post-gd shit out there.

Amen the last ratdog tour was amazing (granted I have never seen the grateful dead or even the dead because i was about 5 years old when jerry died so that puts shit in perspective) but they were on fire, better than any other time ive seen.

Phil (6/3/07 mountain jam, i was there, sick as hell) > Ratdog IMNSHO but let's not go there ... I think that PLF/Ratdog are doing different things than DSO is. Obviously we have ex-GD members (Donna Jean & the Tricksters put on a good show too as does the Mickey Hart Band, etc.) who are doing their own thing & developing as musicians, still playing the music we love and new music that is a labor of love for them ... which I *love* to see. I love to see Phil or Bobby rockin out some dead tunes, and they still can rock and do so from where they're at today. DSO is another thing altogether and I'd agree they are not just a "cover band" ... they play GD shows (or even original setlists) that is not their material, but they still can make it their own. They do what they do, they are the only ones that do what they do, and they do it well ... of course you are not seeing Phil or Bobby or anyone else up there (unless you're lucky enough to have been at one of the shows where Bobby,etc sits in ... I would love to see Phil sit in but that hasn't happened & may not ... but I digress...) ... but the music is great & DSO draws a crowd giving off good vibes for the most part <3. As Youkai said I <3 all GD music.

Last edited:
ALright... I cant stay out of this thread any longer, and all i really do is lurk nowadays, but cmon... DSO tour? Just for authenticity purposes alone, ratdog and plf make a show a million times more special than dso could ever dream of! You won't recognize this magical element by shoving ketamine up your nose and forgetting most of the show that you saw. I'm sorry if i come off harsh, but you say shit like you get more out of dso than bobby/phil, (which is a controversial statement) but then you say the phil/bobby shows you saw last tour you barely remember...

Okay, if DSO comes to town, Ill go if they are charging under $30, (which is rare nowadays, but dso ticket prices are a whole different argument I dont even feel like getting into). BUt DSO is just a cover band. They aren't more than a cover band until they do some original stuff.

JosephTHeSequel said:
... If you missed the last ratdog tour where kimock was filling in at lead guitar, u missed some of the best post-gd shit out there.

That is definately the truth.

August 17 2007.
Keller->ratdog->allman bros show.
Twas the most amazing ratdog show iv ever experienced. With a sit in by keller williams on china cat and then Dreck fucking Truck comes out for I know you rider.
Kimock, bobby and Dereck all standing together in a little circle, melting my face.
All the other shows i caught with kimock were kick ass too.
But without Kimock Ratdog shows arent as special, but still always a pleasure to see Bob Weir. He's brought tears to my eyes a couple times.

Phil and friends is also always a great time. dont know what else to say. Definatley enjoy his projects more than ratdog (except with Kimock)

The Dead with warren haynes on guitar was amazing. They were the first Dead cover band i ever saw.

And Dark Star, well, they're special. I wear a dark star baseball cap. I love them. If they come through my area i never miss a show and seeing them at festivals is always a highlight.

I guess i also fit into the "i love any/all grateful dead music" category.

So far my favorite Grateful dead cover band has been Rythym Devils.
Steve Kimock on guitar, Mike Gordon on base, The chick from deep banana black out at vocals, some african guy playing a drum and ofcourse the rythym devils. To bad they didnt stick with that.

Oh and as far as cubensis (the dead cover band in LA). Iv seen them once. They were alright but arent even in the same league as DSO.

Oh and at that Keller/Ratdog/Allmans show bobby came out to play Franklins Tower with the Allmans.
I creamed my pants, just a tiny bit.

Oh, and more Grateful Dead. It'll take weeks to get the stink off, Ed. :p

duly appreciated.

cryptical>TO1 ftw. I was exhaling a cloud of deemster smoke during the ">" ...

The thing about DSO is some people dig them and I am cool with that. Hey whatever gets your gears grinding, jump right in and grind.

But for me I just cxan't do it. I mean, consider this. Suppose DSO on any given night decides to "emulate" or whatever you want to call what they do some really uniquely epic show that I attended, like say just one immediately off the top of my head the spring tour closer at Baltimore on 04-19-1982. It was a spectacular closer to a spectacular tour I saw a lot of shows on. And just so solid and so insane.

I was there, sizzling on a four way, deep in the wookie muck and grub and sweat that was the Grateful Dead floor experience. It was in the history of the Universe a one time deal, as were realistically all Dead shows even if they were not even good. I think about all the people that ever have and ever will lived and died. It sometimes seems almost incomprehensibly serendipitous that my life coincided with this unique blink of the cosmic eye. I was one lucky fuck to be young, be crazy, and be on the bus.

It's just too personal for me. If DSO started doing that show, what could I honestly feel? I would just have to leave as soon as I recognized enough of the set to know the show, and leave with definitely not with a good feeling.

If some were to ask me "who are you" I would say "Just a man. And a Deadhead".

The Grateful Dead were a life defining experience for me. The remaining Dead Family continues to be a life defining experience. The way I view my world, anything that is really life defining can only happen once. I really cannot do "it" again, and more importantly I have no desire to attempt it.

So DSO - it just weirds me out. I have seen them a couple of times They are good at what they do. But what they do? It's just not good to me.

just moved to LA and really excited to see their cali shows, pissed i missed philly shows though i bet the spectrum GOT DOWN

Pigpen Good Lovins > Bobby Good Lovins

LOL just had to throw that out there.

I saw them about 50 times with Jerry. My first show was June '87 at Alpine Valley. It opened my eyes. I was totally amazed and hooked from there on out.

I saw them without Jerry once and it sucked. Therefore, I refuse to see Ratdog or 'The Dead' (without Jerry) or Phil and friends. It's just not the same without Jerry. Some of the best times of my life was on tour with the Dead or at local Dead shows.

When Jerry died, I started seeing Phish a lot. They are pretty amazing.

Oh...how I miss Jerry.

When was the July 4th show where Phil screwed up the lyrics for Jack Straw during the line...
"Leavin texas, fourth day of july
Sun so hot, the clouds so low, the eagles
filled the sky."

my dad asked me before i was able to read if i wanted to see the grateful dead
i was like sure thinking i was seeing iron maiden
ya know iron maidens art i associated with death

we was 8 rows from the stage
trippin hippie chicks passed me around like a spliff

i was like dad when they gunna play run to the hills

hes like you got the wrong band dan you be a deadhead now