Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Grant Clemency to Ricky G. Minor

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Grant Clemency to Ricky G. Minor
Heather Minor

QCJYMgflbVSQNhy-556x313-noPad.jpg

My name is Heather Minor and on February 6, 2001, when I was 7 years old, my life took a horrible turn when my father was sentenced to life in prison for a nonviolent drug offense. Without clemency from President Obama, he will die in prison.

When my father, Ricky Minor, was given his sentence I didn't realize I was about to begin a journey that would become a new "normal" way of life for me – growing up without a father. Even though my dad was a first time nonviolent drug offender, under mandatory minimum sentencing laws he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. On that same day, my mother was also arrested. My whole world as I knew it was completely destroyed. At the age of seven, both of my parents were taken away from me, and from that point forward I was raised by my elderly grandparents.

I am now 21 years old, the first in my family to graduate from high school, and taking additional classes to improve my life. However, while I am trying to make the best of my life, the realization that my father will die alone in prison is too much for me to fathom. My father was suffering from a drug addiction and trying to cope with it. He was not some "big time" drug dealer, but an addict struggling to support his habit who was a victim of an overly-harsh and inflexible mandatory sentencing structure.

Even the sentencing federal judge hesitated to impose the life sentence. As my dad said at his hearing, “rapists, murderers and child molesters will be set free before me…where is the justice in that?”

My dad has now served over 14 years of his sentence - most of it over 700 miles from my home. I have grown from a small child to an adult only seeing him once or twice a year due to limited funds for travel and taxing health issues of my grandparents. The only opportunity I had to form a relationship with my dad was through weekly phone calls and occasional letters. It is heartbreaking.

I just want a chance to get to know my dad like every other daughter. Even though I know and he knows what he did was wrong, I think he has served more than enough to compensate for the crime he committed. He has paid the price of his crimes…but so have I, and I didn’t do anything wrong other than be a victim of parents with a drug addiction. He has completely rehabilitated himself by obtaining his GED, furthering his education, drug free and very health conscious including his diet and physical activities.

Please sign my petition asking President Obama to grant my father, Ricky Minor, clemency.

Read more and opertunity to sign petition https://www.change.org/p/my-dad-wil..._w33MAuj+JCjT/TnV1yNZqQAusfmbqQeuTieQf47UHpc=

If you take a look at the FAMM website you will notice cases that have a far better chance of receiving a pardon/clemency than this one. I don't mean to reduce the severity of this particular case, I am just being realistic.

The Facts: Ricky Minor
Sentence: Life
Offense: Attempt to manufacture methamphetamine
Priors: Assault & trespass (1991); sale of marijuana (1992); possession of marijuana with intent to distribute (1992); possession of cocaine, resisting arrest without violence (1996); sale and delivery of controlled substance (1999); battery, breach of peace (2000); possession of methamphetamine (2000), battery on law enforcement officer, resisting arrest without violence (2000).
Year sentenced: 2001
Age at sentencing: 38
Projected release date: None

Nature of priors: Ricky committed most of his prior offenses while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. He was convicted of assault and trespass charge after yelling at a neighbor for poisoning his dogs. The battery and breach of peace occurred when Ricky bumped another vehicle with his car after a verbal confrontation with the other driver. In 2000, he pushed a deputy that was attempting to arrest him, resulting in conviction of battery on a law enforcement officer. Ricky has a long history of traffic violations that began in his youth, including 12 counts of driving with suspended license, two DUIs, reckless driving and two counts of careless driving.

Im not saying what he did was admirable.. but so what he pushed a cop (cops are killing people and don't even lose their jobs), yelled at his neighbors, "resisted arrest without violence," and a ton of traffic violations. Good lord let him out and give him some anger management classes and a work restricted DL.

“rapists, murderers and child molesters will be set free before me…where is the justice in that?”

I do not disagree with you NSA. Unfortunately some Judges would consider this guy a career criminal.

There are numerous cases of non-violent, first time offenders, some who were still teenagers when they were charged/sentenced that are currently serving 10,15+ years for trafficking drugs.

like I said just being realistic.. Look into the case of John Forte, even with all his connections he had to serve 7+ years of a 14 year mandatory minimum sentence for cocaine.

In 2000, Forté was arrested at Newark International Airport after accepting a briefcase containing $1.4 million worth of liquid cocaine; he was charged with possession with intent to distribute cocaine and conspiracy to distribute.[2] He was convicted and sentenced to the mandatory minimum 14 years after being found guilty, and incarcerated at FCI Loretto, a low-security federal prison in central Pennsylvania.[1]

In 2001, Forté released the well-received I, John, which was recorded while awaiting trial for the drug offense. Unlike his debut, this album takes a more serious approach to music-making. The second album featured guest appearances by Herbie Hancock, Esthero and Tricky, and included a duet with Carly Simon.

Carly Simon and her son Ben Taylor were advocates on Forté's behalf, believing he did not receive a fair trial; they fought for an appeal of the mandatory minimum drug laws that remove a judge's discretion in a case. They met Forté through Taylor's cousin who was a classmate of Forté's at Phillips Exeter.[3] “Carly is a mentor to me, a guide, absolutely my spiritual godmother,” Forté has said.

With the help of Senator Orrin Hatch, Forté's prison sentence was commuted by President George W. Bush on November 24, 2008.[4] He was released from prison four weeks later, on December 22

Last edited: