• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Grandpa was schitzophrenic, bad idea for me to try LSD?

Cdilly93

Bluelighter
So i hear that doing physchedlics can bring on or exacerbate a mental illnesses that you may not know you have, my grandpa (moms dad) had schitzophrenia, im worried that theres a slight chance that it possibly can be carried down to me and LSD may bring it out of me, but i really want to try it... Is this possible?

Do it up. White Widow triggered my schizophrenia (supposedly) but I turned out fine.

Then again, colloidal gold triggered my schizophrenia...

How can it be triggered twice, you ask?

Because it doesn't exist.

well most statistics will tell you that it is a bad idea. but in the end it is only up to you to decide this. most of my family is fucked in the head, two of them considered mentally ill (uncle and father) and I still did it. also got myself some decent mental health problems along the way, but nothing so far I couldn't handle (horrible shit though). I never actually had a psychosis though, but I often felt on the verge of insanity in the past few year. since about a year I do better and better though. :)

bottom line: I cannot give you any advice on it. you're the only one to judge your psyche. :)

That's some useful information, Bagseed.

Yeah, Cdilly93, I failed to mention my brother has done most of the drugs I've done too and he never went into "psychosis". So many things can trigger "schizophrenia". War, drugs, public humiliation... Ronald McDonald...

It's unpredictable, even if you think you can adjust for mental illness in your family. I got a bunch of undiagnosed Asperger's type stuff in mine and a formerly progressive schizophrenic uncle (medicated now). I never really had big problems, hear voices or anything. I have high functioning autism (semi mild form) myself, but have only been pseudo psychotic induced very temporarily by big amounts of drugs. All things considered I count myself lucky and resilient.

Problems are:
- It is hard to judge yourself. A lot of people with latent mental illness don't notice much wrong with them. And especially schizophrenics will try to explain their problems in backwards explanations.
- It is determined by genes and even with a known family history it is a crapshoot of probabilities.

That said, if you have schizophrenia presented in one of your direct ancestors your probabilities unfortunately go up quite a bit. Perhaps something can be said from how many of the descendants also show the trait.

There is a form of sensitivity that makes some people incredibly susceptible to psychosis from cannabis use and this can actually be tested genetically. But even besides that there are other factors, like starting at a young age will increase your risks manifold, also the more chronic use is - I think - the more hazy things can get.

If you feel sober and stable in your thoughts, not easily influenced by suggestion... or quite the opposite, that is an indication. Same for your ability to keep deep thought / ideation / fantasy and 'confirmed' or consensus reality apart.
It can boil down to how you react to losing control and losing track of your senses. If you cope even going loosy goosey, that helps... but if you tilt at the least perplexion that does not help.

Psychosis is also associated with ontological insecurity. That means that some people define themselves very strongly in terms of being acknowledged by others. That is a huge risk... it is necessary to be used to 'feeling yourself / your self' in order to ease up on that. If you hang on tightly or by a thread to begin with, much less is necessary to push you over the edge. For some I guess it is truly inevitable, since life will always throw you a curveball on occasion.

Start very very low if at all, and check your reaction. If nothing much happens or if it is a success, still only increase the dose a little (from the same batch! always start low with every new batch!!), don't just double it casually.
It takes getting used to for pretty much everyone, a trip is pretty extraordinary, but at the first sign of worrisome instability, stop.

Best is to have benzos and antipsychotics on hand and a tripsitter.

Okay this is very interesting for me. I was thinking about making a thread similar to this, as I have just recently found out that my great-grandfather was schizophrenic (I am unaware of the severity).

I have done mushrooms, I believe, 6 times now, and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to continue my use. So far I have seen little to no change in my thought process since the last time I did psychedelics. I feel very in control of my mind, I have also looked up realistic statistics of getting something like schizophrenia, and it is quite low.

It's still not a very well understood mental disorder. There are people out there who's underlying issues (mentally) will be brought out, or exacerbated, through something like psychedelic drug use, or perhaps an extremely stressful event, or "going to the absolute limits of one's mind". The science behind it still isn't very 'clear-cut', based on what I have read about it.

I have no opinion as to whether or not you should go through with this, I do not know enough about schizophrenia and I do not know you personally.

Sorry if I made any grammatical errors, I'm more baked than usual.

Here is the thing

If you Are truely predestined to have schizophrenia, then it will happen eventually whether or not you do drugs.

Doing the psychadelics will just trigger the onset much faster.

I just wana chime in that my two best friends are brothers, and their uncle is schizophrenic. I've tripped acid with both of them many times, and they've never had any issues. Not trying to express that you're somehow in the clear, but rather that anything can happen.

Last edited:
Depends if you want to play with fire or not.

Schizophrenia develops around early 20s, so if you're older than say, 25, I'd reckon you're in the clear. But what do I know?

A good friend of mine does drugs a lot, has done sheets of lsd, grams of 2cs, a crap load of benzos, loads of mushrooms and weed every day. He's what you'd say, pretty damn nuts. Very functional and actually quite intelligent, but crazy. I also know another guy who did mushrooms, ecstasy and weed a lot in high school and is now full on schizophrenic. Tread carefully.