• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Governor Baker signs bill restricting prescription drugs

Well the guy does have a point. If a law this ignorant can be passed in the supposedly educated northeast then I fear what's coming down here in the ignorance of the south.

the cartels will never let you down....don't worry much stronger and cheaper heroin is coming in response to the over regulation of painkillers.

American politics is pretty stupid. I will give him that. We are an easy target because of the way we have handled drug policy. The real black eye is that we have passed on our failed drug policy to other nations and just as in the states, these other nations have had some severe problems due to it. When nations take back their policy and are more progressive towards the drug problem they actually make positive changes. What makes us so stupid is that we recognize places like Uruguay, and Portugal, and recognize that the changes they have made have benefited their countries greatly, and still choose to keep the same puritanical views on the problems of addiction.

I do feel like making fun of america is like taking low hanging fruit though.

As I stated before there are small changes happening to legislation in florida. They are opening the first needle exchange in Miami, and many counties have taken the option of arresting people and charging them with felonies for minor possession of marijuana away from police officers. It has always been just a citable offense, however they gave the discretion to police officers whether or not to charge people with felonies for it. Taking this option away from cops will help stem the flow of minorities going to jail for possession of pot because cops would naturally allow white folks to go free with just a ticket and those of color would end up in the back of a squad car.

When it comes to the opiate problem we have here in florida (it was ground zero for the pill mills which led to increased addiction rates) heroin has become king. The big difference in the pill trade is that the price for oxy and dilaudid has gone up to astronomical rates. There is still plenty of pills available to addicts that are willing to pay for them. All over orlando there are dope holes, and if they shut down one, another pops up next door. People are going to get their drugs regardless of the risk. Our jails, especially orange county jail, are filled with detoxing opiate addicts charged with minor possession or possession of paraphenalia, and generally due to sheer number of people arrested for these crimes they end up dropping the charges when they end up in front of a judge in Orange County. The policy has not worked to stem the opiate problem we have here.

Stopping doctors from prescribing opiates to those that need them because some people are addicted is a horrible policy change. The money spent on spending the time to come up with and debate this legislation would have been better spent sending a few people that want to quit to rehab.

When nations take back their policy

America is a very diverse place. Taking her actions as a representation of her people is as silly as judging a book by its cover. Id be surprised to find anyone in America, or the world, who is paying attention that's not totally against or irate with an aspect of US policy. I for sure am one.

America is significant. She makes mistakes all the time, all the time. These mistakes have monumental consequences on peoples lives.

She also has a bunch dead nuts on. These positives also have monumental effects on peoples lives.

Other Countries are their own entity and should retake their own sovereignty or quit bitching.

America is a very diverse place. Taking her actions as a representation of her people is as silly as judging a book by its cover. Id be surprised to find anyone in America, or the world, who is paying attention that's not totally against or irate with an aspect of US policy. I for sure am one.

America is significant. She makes mistakes all the time, all the time. These mistakes have monumental consequences on peoples lives.

She also has a bunch dead nuts on. These positives also have monumental effects on peoples lives.

Other Countries are their own entity and should retake their own sovereignty or quit bitching.

Exactly the way I feel. The fact they have so much say internationally over drug policy is dangerous. It is a human rights disaster if I ever saw one.

preventing church going 60 year old women from getting hydrocodone for Thier broken hip will stop the 20 to 30 year old kids from injecting the abundantly cheap fentanyl laced Heroin. FACT

only the Republican just say no anti drug crusaders elected to run the inbred crack out out citizens of Florida would actually believe that eliminating access to pharm opiates will make the current and future junkie population "just say no" to heroin.

do they actually believe that people will refuse the ever abundant heroin because there are no dilaudids around to use as a "gateway" opiate?

I don't understand how such a supposedly big crisis has not oneed single person in charge that actually understands this problem....you've got rick Scott aND some sheriff wearing a cowboy hat designing opiate policy.

Charlie Baker doesn't care about elderly people - Monde West

I am from florida. There are actual forward thinkers here. They are opening the first needle exchange in Miami soon.

Yes it is stupid to think that taking away medications from those that need them will somehow stop people from using. At least they are trying something and not stuffing it under the rug like so many other problems. Trying something and failing is one stop along the road to learning from mistakes and trying something different.

Take me for example. I am a recovering opiate addict. I have a year and a few months sober. I know what worked for me and what didn't work. I try to spread my knowledge to others (Only if they are willing to accept said knowledge). I am actually working with the mother of an addict that has got himself put in jail. I am teaching her how to heal herself. My dad was/is an addict and I know some of the thought processes a codependent person has, so I am uniquely suited to help her. Why I say this is; eventually there will be enough people like me demanding policy change because we get sick of paying the taxes required to incarcerate people, when it would be cheaper just to prescribe the meds people need, and when they need/want help...actually offer it to them.

You're forgotting a very important fact. The prison owning fat cats getting rich off of all this incarceration keep bribing the policy makers to keep the jail revolving door busy. Your taxes go directly to the prison lobby and legislators pockets....and "demanding policy change" and during adorable little protests outside of the capitol buidling probably just has them sitting on their 10K couch watching their 72 inch tv on the news reporting about people demanding change and just laughing laughing laughin hysterically.

Taking away the drugs from pain patients. will create a population of people so desperate for pain relief that they will finally turn to heroin. I don't care i fthey are a jehovahs witness, if they live with level 10 back pain 24/7 and are bedridden....they will be riding thtier little bike with their helmet out to the hood and asking some gang members for heroin. Nothing will stop someone in that much pain from getting relief....except jail...which is where they will end up....exactly what the prison lobby wanted.

You're forgotting a very important fact. The prison owning fat cats getting rich off of all this incarceration keep bribing the policy makers to keep the jail revolving door busy. Your taxes go directly to the prison lobby and legislators pockets....and "demanding policy change" and during adorable little protests outside of the capitol buidling probably just has them sitting on their 10K couch watching their 72 inch tv on the news reporting about people demanding change and just laughing laughing laughin hysterically.

Taking away the drugs from pain patients. will create a population of people so desperate for pain relief that they will finally turn to heroin. I don't care i fthey are a jehovahs witness, if they live with level 10 back pain 24/7 and are bedridden....they will be riding thtier little bike with their helmet out to the hood and asking some gang members for heroin. Nothing will stop someone in that much pain from getting relief....except jail...which is where they will end up....exactly what the prison lobby wanted.

This is so true! Just look at lousiana and how the sheriff gets additional money for housing state inmates due to the fact that their traditional prisons are overcrowded. They want you in prison because they get money for each bed that is full. Private prisons have a lobbying group. That is sickening. When you are actively lobbying to make money for your shareholders by taking away people's freedom you deserve a special place in a prison yourself.

Landrieu said the city is investing over $226 million to build new prison facilities and spending over $30 million of taxpayer dollars to operate the jail. However, Landrieu said he could not "in good conscience cut vital services or raise taxes to put even more money into an office where waste, fraud, and abuse run rampant. The only way to fix the problem is to put a federal receiver in place that will run a safe and secure jail in a financially responsible way."

What about just not arresting/incarcerating people for petty offenses? That would be a free way to solve the prison dilemma.