• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

goverment assistance or work?

Magic_Dragon

Bluelighter
im a 26 year old male working in a warehouse in dallas TX and im starting to wonder if i should apply for government assisstance or have my live in GF apply. im so sick of being so broke that i have to steal to eat or beg my mom for 20 bucks gas money and work 10-12 hour days to make a 500 dollar check every week (13.50hr). granted im paying a little to much in rent right now beacuse when i moved from another state and i was scared to live near any type of hood. i was able to afford 900 a month in rent in my last state. but now it cost me just 200 bucks a month just in toll bills to get to work. my girl makes 500 every 2 weeks (not every week like me) and has a kid that lives with her mom and dad for the time being, just till we get stable. she still sees him a lot so please dont be judgmental. i had to move because my job was moving here. so my questions is should one or both of us be able to get government assisstance so im not having to steal to eat or am i just SOL cuz i actually have a job. again i live in TX and dont know how it works mostly cuz i come from a upper middle class family. my dad is an lawyer and my mom works in HR. both went to college and when i talk to them about it they make it sound wrong to be on government assisstance. needless to say they are pretty judgemental. thanks again for any replies. i would like to answer any questions if someone is willing to help me find out what to do. idk how much longer i can stand sitting in my apt watching netflix or how many more times i can steal without getting getting in trouble. i already have been caught 2c from 2 diff wal marts and told them my situation so they banned me and said i would go to jail if they catch me on the property.

PLUR and god bless

Stop wasting your money on drugs and maybe you wouldn't have to steal from other people

Learn how to budget your money. Stop drinking and using drugs, or going out to bars/restaurants, and stop shoplifting/stealing.

Government assistance is better than minimum wage. I was on SSDI food stamps and shit when I got out of a 2 year stay in the state psychiatric hospital. Decided to get a job, didn't end up with much more cash and lost my free time

Since then money has gotten good I have a better work ethic than 90% of people, always network and opportunities have come.

500 a week is better than government assistance.

Buy a stupid toll pass
You and your gf apply dummy
Be creative about your applications and make sure you tell em you guys neither eat nor prepare food with each other. And you're not dating. Run it

I live in a totally different country and people here can make like 500 bucks per month, so every 4 weeks. But that's another topic, I only mentioned it to make clear, that I do not have a good overview of your realistic financial capabilites.

What I actually wanted to say, was, that government assistance is better than stealing in every way. First of all, there's a fixed amount of money separated for assistance. It helps to keep poverty under control and generate statistics about it. This also helps to bring the topic into discussion. So government definitely prefers you taking the assistance instead of stealing. Secondly, there's a fixed place for assistances - the government. If you take it from random people and businesses, especially poor/small ones, you hurt your local community a lot. 500 from the government is much less than 500 from somebody much, much smaller. Thirdly, there are sooooo many people around the globe living on government assistance. There's nothing to be shamed of. Of course there are always those cocky I-am-richer-and-look-down-on-you people, but they find any reason to look better than you.

So... I could probably bring out like tons of reasons and I'm not in the most sober condition right now, but I brought in some private and public reasons you should choose government assistance.

Sounds like your current lifestyle outstrips your means and also you aren't a very good thief. Government assistance also will only take you so far. It's not much of a life living on the scraps they'll give you in most situations, and maintaining a drug habit in addition to the normal life expenditures
So you'll either have to get serious about your crime skills and face the possibility of jail and the overall infelicities of life underground, or get serious about education and/or the job search, and face the possibility of a long and frustrating effort. Either way the drugs will only hurt you. Unfortunately my generation and yours, even our parents, were coddled and given the expectations that things can only get better. That's not in the cards anymore. We need to readjust our expectations and be ready to put in the work.

I'd suggest becoming a professional rapper, then you can afford all the H you want and be bangin top notch hoes.

Either that or quit blowing all of your money on drugs and then whining that you have to steal to eat and that all you can do is watch Netflix.

Last edited:
if you and your gf make a combined $3,000/month and you are wondering if you should apply for government assistance, perhaps instead you should be wondering about how you can change your lifestyle so you are left with more $ in your pocket at the end of the day. or start wondering about how you can use the money you already make to generate more money - buy low/sell high type of deals. sounds like you have a lot of options but are looking for the easy way out. honestly with the amount you make you probably don't qualify for assistance, or if you do you won't get much... just to put things in perspective - me and my ol'lady have 2 kids and a combined income of slightly over $1500 a month... we get just under $200 in foodstamps... and i live in a way more expensive state than texas... soo yeah, you need to make lifestyle adjustments, starting with more income-generating schemes and less netflix.

I would highly suggest finding work closer to you. You may not be able to change the amount of your bills, but you can influence what you spend, and where you spend it. Secondly, I would suggest going to a food bank. Most churches have them. This will give you a little boost in your groceries.

Life is a hell of a lot harder than it was twenty years ago. If you need government assistance then do it. During the time you are on government assistance start trying to find ways to save money. Texas has great weather for a vegetable garden. This can save you a lot of money if you rotate your crops. I harvest once a week and I have a wide variety of vegetables for the week. My garden was an initial investment of about $500 dollars, but after that the only investment is time and a small amount of water. Grow things like green beans, broccoli, tomatos, carrots, onions...ect. It wil help you save money, and there is nothing better than a job well done.

Apply. You aren't married or related so you apply separately. You usually still qualify for food even if working. Your gf is more likely to qualify for more honestly esp if her child lives with her and she can claim him.

I dont know your situation, but with what you're bringing in and what your gf is, even at 1000$ rent per month, that leaves about $2000. Even with other bills that's enough to live. Unless as others mentioned, you're spending it on drugs. If that's the case, the question isn't really should you go on assistance for food, the question is how can you eliminate wasting $ on drugs because you're outspending your income. If you have opiate habits you might want to apply for assistance so that you get medical, and get into a clinic. If drugs aren't an issue then you both really need to evaluate what you're spending money on, because many people survive well on less than your combined incomes.

But still--if you're eligible then go for it...