Got clean, have used IV for around 2 weeks- wondered from experiences how bad to expect this to be.

UK Warrior

Bluelighter
Hi everyone. I am 30, and have had a long history of opiate and alcohol addiction.

I finished my last methadone taper, and around 2 and a half weeks ago did something very silly. I had a drink, and thought whilst drunk it would be a good idea to get some heroin.

I didn't smoke, I went straight to I.V use, and have been using around £20 a days worth (near London, works out to around 0.2-.3 grams of UK heroin).

My tolerance has quickly gone up, what I first used 1/4 of the bag would have me really gone, I am having trouble finding veins now due to the damage from the past. If I am honest, I would probably carry on if it wasn't for me this morning fighting to find a vein, and resorting to using vinegar as I had no citric acid left in sachets. My exchange is shut on a Sunday, and I felt very sniffly and nauseous.

Really I am posting to speak to others, I have never done a cold turkey withdrawal, it has always been with methadone, and I am scared. I don't know wether to try smoking and weaning off that way, or where it hasn't been that long of daily use I will get away without it getting too bad. I don't want to continue if it will make my addiction worse, but also feel I have missed this mornings hit and feel rough.

Hope you can help me, or at least I will have people to talk to. Thank you.

0.2-0.3g a day isn't a huge habit, if you stopped cold turkey it won't be that bad (you will feel like shit for 3 days though).

It depends what you want to do. You could wean with smoking, that would be way better than shooting vinegar, but also means you run the risk of just carrying on using...

I've cold turkey'd countless times, I would just bite the bullet and get it over with if I didn't have anything to do for a few days or anyone to see. Keep yourself distracted, Good luck!

0.2-0.3g a day isn't a huge habit, if you stopped cold turkey it won't be that bad (you will feel like shit for 3 days though).

It depends what you want to do. You could wean with smoking, that would be way better than shooting vinegar, but also means you run the risk of just carrying on using...

I've cold turkey'd countless times, I would just bite the bullet and get it over with if I didn't have anything to do for a few days or anyone to see. Keep yourself distracted, Good luck!
Thank you, I'm more worried how bad it is going to be mostly. I guess where I was an addict before it didn't take long for tolerance and withdrawals to start. I live with my Mum (always have done) and don't want to worry her with me being very ill. Where I have never done cold turkey I don't know how bad it will get, the past few mornings she has asking me what's wrong with the runny nose and eyes and retching.

In a perfect world, I would take heroin and be happy. I can't do that though, last time I was taken to resus even they had to use an ultrasound to find a vein. I managed to find a few in my feet, but they are blown now, and the one that worked yesterday I think I blew this morning- it seemed like I was in, there was a flashback, put it in slow, then hurt a bit, I pulled back but was still in so finished. There was a bump after so think I have shot that one.
I also worry if I smoke, I will need a lot more to use. I went straight back to IV as it was a lot cheaper.

I just have my dog to look after, she is good though and will go in the Garden for a while or my Mum could take her. I just don't know what to expect cold turkey, and respect to you for doing it many times and thank you!

hey @UK Warrior
Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes we go back out to add to our story. It's pretty normal for us to lean towards drugs/alcohol weather there is rain or shine. I've tried explaining to a 'normal' person why I would go out and score heroin after a night of drinking while everyone else had a few beers and went home. They were pretty dumbfounded that people did this not even thinking.
Obviously I was thinking, wanting to get high and keep this party going.
You have come so far to go back to the life you were once living while chasing the shit. Not saying that you should or shouldn't but maybe try an alternative to possibly help with the random cravings?

hey @UK Warrior
Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes we go back out to add to our story. It's pretty normal for us to lean towards drugs/alcohol weather there is rain or shine. I've tried explaining to a 'normal' person why I would go out and score heroin after a night of drinking while everyone else had a few beers and went home. They were pretty dumbfounded that people did this not even thinking.
Obviously I was thinking, wanting to get high and keep this party going.
You have come so far to go back to the life you were once living while chasing the shit. Not saying that you should or shouldn't but maybe try an alternative to possibly help with the random cravings?
Thank you, I'm trying not to although I do feel a bit of a dick for first having a drink, shouldn't as I have had pancreatitis 3 times now and a lot of other health problems from drinking, then I got drunk and I thought "Oh lets get some brown" even though it's ruined a lot in my past. I guess the mine of an addict doesn't make sense, it doesn't even make sense to me.

I will be honest, I have injected twice more today. I only scored once, and have done small hits each time- I am trying to spread it across and last, as I don't want my tolerance to go up and also if I can't find a vein hopefully withdrawals won't be that bad.

Don't know if you are allowed to say, what kind of things help? I am already prescribed Pregabalin 600MG daily, Diazepam 5MG x3 daily, my other meds I don't think will do anything to help or hinder.

Thank you, I'm trying not to although I do feel a bit of a dick for first having a drink, shouldn't as I have had pancreatitis 3 times now and a lot of other health problems from drinking, then I got drunk and I thought "Oh lets get some brown" even though it's ruined a lot in my past. I guess the mine of an addict doesn't make sense, it doesn't even make sense to me.

I will be honest, I have injected twice more today. I only scored once, and have done small hits each time- I am trying to spread it across and last, as I don't want my tolerance to go up and also if I can't find a vein hopefully withdrawals won't be that bad.

Don't know if you are allowed to say, what kind of things help? I am already prescribed Pregabalin 600MG daily, Diazepam 5MG x3 daily, my other meds I don't think will do anything to help or hinder.

Just so there's no uncertainty, you are most definitely allowed to talk about comfort meds, what to use and how much is safe/effective etc.

We're about harm reduction here not censorship. :)

Do a quick methadone taper. Like 30 days.

Otherwise you just have to kick. It shouldn't be bad. You were able to taper methadone and make it 2 weeks. You know what to expect..

Thank you, I'm more worried how bad it is going to be mostly. I guess where I was an addict before it didn't take long for tolerance and withdrawals to start. I live with my Mum (always have done) and don't want to worry her with me being very ill. Where I have never done cold turkey I don't know how bad it will get, the past few mornings she has asking me what's wrong with the runny nose and eyes and retching.

In a perfect world, I would take heroin and be happy. I can't do that though, last time I was taken to resus even they had to use an ultrasound to find a vein. I managed to find a few in my feet, but they are blown now, and the one that worked yesterday I think I blew this morning- it seemed like I was in, there was a flashback, put it in slow, then hurt a bit, I pulled back but was still in so finished. There was a bump after so think I have shot that one.
I also worry if I smoke, I will need a lot more to use. I went straight back to IV as it was a lot cheaper.

I just have my dog to look after, she is good though and will go in the Garden for a while or my Mum could take her. I just don't know what to expect cold turkey, and respect to you for doing it many times and thank you!
When she asks, just answer: I've been outside, it's nothing. Otherwise, good for you that you got clean! It's always happy afterwards. Try some doctor maybe he can help.

Do a quick methadone taper. Like 30 days.

Otherwise you just have to kick. It shouldn't be bad. You were able to taper methadone and make it 2 weeks. You know what to expect..
I'm hoping that is a possibility for me. I may of explained wrong reading my first post, I didn't taper off in 2 weeks, I started methadone from around 18 years old and am now 30, 31 in April.

The highest dose I was on was 67MG, over the years reduced, messed up, was increased again and this is the first time since 18 I have not been on Methadone. I messed that up pretty quick so am unsure what to actually expect when I stop quickly.

Well this didn't turn out how I expected, I don't remember none of it but apparently I was in the toilet for 40 minutes no reply, paramedics had to break the door down. I had my first overdose, it took me so long to come round they thought I had a bleed on the brain at first where I couldn't speak after multiple doses of naloxone.

I must have hit my head as well, my hair is all dry on the back but its not blood more a clear fluid. My Mum thinks I did this on the toilet seat as its broken and I think she is right.

I have an appointment next Tuesday at 10AM at the clinic, I will ask about Subutex as they seem to prefer prescribing that round here and I know on that it also works as a blocker so won't be able to use.

So I have royally F***ed up, and by trying to hide it from my Mum made it even worse with the door having to be broken down and her seeing them work on me. I honestly have no idea what happened as I apparently still had the needle in me and the toniquet round my arm.

Yeah dude. I OD too same way. Post methadone. Your tolerance drops. Don't IV for starters. The dope is way too strong these days.

I would get back in the clinic, stabilize, and then try again.

Do you actually want to use? Unless you want to take subs forever, you will have to figure that part out.
At the moment I have to use until the 12th- I am in the UK and need to test positive to get on a script. I was wrong, it is Tuesday they 12th my appointment which is longer.

I can't find any veins now though, even in Resus they had to use an ultrasound to find one. I have been trying the palms of my hand but they are too small, have been looking every inch for somewhere to go and luckily this morning where I had a track it worked. I don't think it will work again soon when I need my next hit though.

I have tried my feet, only managed that once as it looks like they are there but they blow straight away usually.

Some good news, I had the 12th date wrong.
I have been to open road which is my local clinic, I was told I would have to wait at least a week but have an appointment at 10:30 on Thursday. They are going to put me on Subutex or Suboxone this time round. I am glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel now, I was starting to lose hope.

No idea what my dose will be until I go on Thursday, but they said they would rather give more than less to keep me comfortable. I think they are acting a bit quicker where I overdosed and hit my head badly.

Glad you're still with us man, hopefully this comes as a mini wake up call. I've done similar with the broken bathroom door, the things I've subjected my mother to witnessing I'm not proud of at all.

Good luck with the subutex, step in the right direction - thinking about going back on them myself!

That sucks how long it takes to get help there. Here you can just walk in a clinic and dose. Don't have to even drop dirty. I went to the clinic last time in alcohol withdrawal since knew an opiate would help. And for $7 a day its like a bargain.

But don't IV man. Can't you sniff or smoke? If you think about it, you are injecting random shit right into your heart. All it takes is one time and your heart may be fucked for life. Lots of stories here. One dude woke up paralyzed. All kinds of wild stories.

I know UK gets the #3 which is super fun to smoke. You get high as hell too. No harm done.

Hopefully those subs work for you. I found quite shitty after long term opiates. Also taking them daily gives you a strange feeling. Its like something is missing. Your experience may vary. Curious to see your results. Just law low until the 12th. Only use the most bare minimum to stay well. Hopefully you stop the IV too since its just not worth it. OD, disease, etc.

EDIT: I see now Thursday. So only 2 days. And you can probably just stop now. You have to be in withdrawal anyway. Good luck.

That sucks how long it takes to get help there. Here you can just walk in a clinic and dose. Don't have to even drop dirty. I went to the clinic last time in alcohol withdrawal since knew an opiate would help. And for $7 a day its like a bargain.

But don't IV man. Can't you sniff or smoke? If you think about it, you are injecting random shit right into your heart. All it takes is one time and your heart may be fucked for life. Lots of stories here. One dude woke up paralyzed. All kinds of wild stories.

I know UK gets the #3 which is super fun to smoke. You get high as hell too. No harm done.

Hopefully those subs work for you. I found quite shitty after long term opiates. Also taking them daily gives you a strange feeling. Its like something is missing. Your experience may vary. Curious to see your results. Just law low until the 12th. Only use the most bare minimum to stay well. Hopefully you stop the IV too since its just not worth it. OD, disease, etc.

EDIT: I see now Thursday. So only 2 days. And you can probably just stop now. You have to be in withdrawal anyway. Good luck.
Thats mad how different countries work, I guess here where it is NHS it takes a little longer.

I went to my 10:30 appointment today, I have been prescribed 6MG of subutex. I have been given my prescription today, I pick up tomorrows dose today as I was truthful and told the prescriber I did my first injection at 8AM before leaving to get there.

I do know the risks, addiction makes us do silly things doesn't it. A lot of people round here do smoke it, I have found I need to smoke a lot more to even feel out of withdrawal than if I I.V. I have my last 10 ball (£10 worth) of it for today. I don't think you can sniff the stuff we get round here, it is a powder/rocky stuff that breaks down to powder, but I think it is the US heroin, not black tar, that you can sniff, never heard of anyone doing it here.

I was told by the prescriber wait until I feel like I am in withdrawal, then try and wait a couple more hours before I take the Subutex. I don't know if that is too quick or too short though, so any advice from people who have gone from heroin to Subutex would be a big help for me.

EDIT: I forgot to say I think the heroin over here is designed for smoking, you have to add an acid and heat it to inject. I have been having to use a small amount of vinegar, the needle exchange is out of packs which contain the citric acid.

dito. Don't listen to people recommending a methadone taper. Two weeks is nothing on that dose. You'd risk a methadone addiction if you use methadone here and methadone is really not necessary if you really feel like you can/want to quit.
Another question is how you can cope with the psychological effects. ie cravings. Are you able to stay clean? - If the answer is no, methadone (and staying on methadone until sufficiently stabilized") might be an answer.

EDIT:
Thats mad how different countries work, I guess here where it is NHS it takes a little longer.

I went to my 10:30 appointment today, I have been prescribed 6MG of subutex. I have been given my prescription today, I pick up tomorrows dose today as I was truthful and told the prescriber I did my first injection at 8AM before leaving to get there.

So you're on buprenorphine, meanwhile. Make sure you get enough to fully suppress your cravings. 6 mg might be a little low.
There are walk-in methadone clinics in UK, too.

Well the 6MG seems to be working, which is great news!

The bad news is a site I used on top of my hand/wrist is infected, its like a black circle with red around it. I am on Flucloxacillin for it at the moment. Probably my fault for using blunt needles and vinegar to dilute.

I never knew there were walk in clinics where I was, I thought the only ones were open road and Essex stars. I would rather a clinic that doesnt tie me down, unless I am mis understanding clinic- I go there to get my prescription then a normal chemist gives it to me.

I take 4MG around 11 AM, then the other 2MG about 6PM. That seems to be working and I haven't used since being on it. The first day was a struggle though, I didn't want to take it too early so was in quite bad withdrawal before I dare take it. It made me feel better though so seems is a good thing.

Well the 6MG seems to be working, which is great news!

The bad news is a site I used on top of my hand/wrist is infected, its like a black circle with red around it. I am on Flucloxacillin for it at the moment. Probably my fault for using blunt needles and vinegar to dilute.

I never knew there were walk in clinics where I was, I thought the only ones were open road and Essex stars. I would rather a clinic that doesnt tie me down, unless I am mis understanding clinic- I go there to get my prescription then a normal chemist gives it to me.

I take 4MG around 11 AM, then the other 2MG about 6PM. That seems to be working and I haven't used since being on it. The first day was a struggle though, I didn't want to take it too early so was in quite bad withdrawal before I dare take it. It made me feel better though so seems is a good thing.
Bupe is certainly a game changer. Glad go see you are in good spirits and making progress. Hang in there ❤️