• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

Not frequently mixing with people who don't really give a shit about you.
Not putting your life at risk every day.
Having a proper appetite and eating more than just sugar!!
Not sucking up to twats who have one thing on their agenda...making money!
Not having to try and work out what said "twats" are actually saying on the phone.
Leading just the one life is nice too.

Much love to all...<3

Great thread. I will be visiting this on a regular basis for a reminder of the useless suffering I came from and the beautiful happenings in a newly-lit life. Thanks for the posts and all who will continue to.

Not having to hide or lie to loved ones.

Being able to be honest with ones self.

- Ability to connect with more people
- Inner beauty
- Attractiveness
- More fun to be around (increased wit)
- Warmth
- No paranoia
- Confidence
- Being able to buy material things
- Never going hungry
- Feeling better in yourself
- Experiencing proper relationships/real love
- Being able to help others in need

Being able to see the good qualities that you forgot about in yourself again.

-being able to pick up your little sister from a party at 11:30 on a Friday night

Being able love yourself.
being able to choose what YOU want to do, and not the drugs.
being able to enjoy food
being able to enjoy companionship and love
being able to feel CONTENT

Being able to look at myself in the mirror without cringing.

Establishing a routine through which attempts at success are realized and are, themselves, successful.

Being of able-mind to post in and interact with the forums that comprise Bluelight.

Being capable of accepting responsibility that comes with being a member of Senior Staff - namely, overseeing this and five other forums.

Loving myself such that I am finally capable of loving others <3

~ Vaya

-Can think clearly
-In much better shape (had no desire to workout while on opiates)
-Can go out without worrying about getting back in time for next fix
-Don't have to worry about withdrawal
-Sleep much better (no more RLS)
-MUCH MUCH less anxiety and depression
-Can feel again. This gives you a new appreciation for everything.
-I'm a much more compassionate and understanding person now

Every time I get cravings I sit down, close my eyes and visualize those countless nights where I would pop my last dose. Terror in its purest form. You sit there and wait... and wait... knowing full well the hell that awaits. The craving then pales in comparison to the joy you feel, knowing that's all in the past.

Last edited:
I hate AA, but I've got 22 years without a drink.
I had an astronomical tolerance for beer and vodka, and have had all sorts of bad stuff happened.

My higher power is DEATH.

I workout with weights, and study jazz theory, for guitar. It's ok, but when I first quit booze for good I looked forward to a...ahem, NAP after work. Yeah, that's right, very boring but I was dying so that was my big thrill.
I had quit 3 times before for a year or 2, whatever while I'd be on was on probation, and always thought that I could control it now that I had gotten older.
But when I'd start again slowly, it always went right back to big time If you love it, your going to relapse, (or I should say most addicts and boozers do) and your best bet is hope you hit bottom without creating too much damage to yourself or others.

My old lady was into my love of alchohol and she adamantly wanted to stop, so I got hitched to her, and beign with someone who won't relapse is pretty helpful.
I find that any kind of minor vice, like Monsters or Red Bulls, Coffee Shops, smoking helps, (smoke only if your young) anything associated with "sinful" behavior helps.

You'll lose your partying friends because they'll think your a drag, but you can't be around them.
Don't associate with anyone if that's what it takes. (That goes triple for those AA weirdos.)

Reading a lot of Tony O'Neil books, he's a recovered addict who hates AA and doctors, and actually thinks you can do the occasional line or a few beers, sort of like what you'd like. But he's a recoverd junky, that was his thing. Plus he had a kid and a good old lady who kept him in line. That's a pretty risky life, but it's refreshing to see someone say it published books. They're great stories too, he's an incredible writer.
Find another interest, if you can, if not read Dan Fante, Burroughs, Bukowski and other unrepentent dopers and drinkers. Let them be your sacrificial bad self.

Good things about getting clean from opiates. Shit i don't know where to start. Perhaps the fact I have my life back? Or that I can think 100% again. I just do Uni work, go to the gym, meditate, do yoga, boxing and study philosophy during the week...get drunk on weekends. Life is good. :)

Get yourself together and the world will be your oyster. Happiness is relative to the observer, if you no longer have to do illegal activity for something each day, the world opens up and you reap the benefits.

Self Respect
Not worrying about where and when and how all the time
More time for better things
More respect and trust from others
Real Raw Pure Genuine True Life, Emotions, Experiences ect..
Every day not being the same...variation
Freedom
Way more choices and Broader horizons
My soul and heart
Not feeling like a toy that needs batteries to run lol
More honest relationships
No more compromising my own values, conscience, morals, self worth
Healthier Spiritually psychically emotionally mentally
Not feeling so weak and stuck
More energy...I hope
The feeling of happiness and contentment for the first time while clean....
Developing mind
Just knowing I can do it
Lose weight...Ive gained A LOT on opiates
No more lies excuses or hiding
Finding a purpose and caring about it

Having money in the bank.
Going back to school / getting straight A's
Making friends
Re-building relationships
Not living on a choke collar

I could just go on and on. When your using being sober is scary and can cause you to remain in an unhealthy cycle for years. I can honestly say, it gets better everyday.