• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Good Steampunk films?

Rasclatt

Bluelighter
only recently heard the term tbh, dont think I've really read any official "steampunk" books, unless maybe the "northern lights" trilogy can be loosely put into the category 8), but I really like the aesthetic when its done well.

I know its supposed to be Victorian->future perspective but I think i'd put "Brazil" into this category, and defintiely "Dune". "Wild wild West" aswell but that was terrible.

What good films are there?

I don't think there's very much. Anime seems to be where it's concentrated, and anime ususually isn't very good. Still, here's some decent movies I've seen that are steampunk or, if not quite steampunk proper, are very much in the same all-analogue future/alternate reality spirit:

"Memories" (composed of three short films, with "Cannon Fodder" being steampunkish)
Memories_03_Cannon_Fodder_0006.jpg

"Steamboy"

th.gen

"Castle in the Sky"
1245136730_470x353_castle-in-the-sky-by-studio-ghibli.jpg

"Metropolis"

Metropolis-0085.jpg

"City of Lost Children"

city_of_lost_children_073.jpg

Last edited:
I think all of the "good" ones I know have been covered above. If you're not at all concerned with quality and just want some mindless, popcorn-guzzling steampunk action (i.e. crap) though there's always Wild Wild West?

(Kenneth Branagh should hang his head in shame)

Edit: doh just saw you'd already mentioned it in the first post.... I should pay more attention....

Heh, I see all of the titles on my list except for "Cannon Fodder" from "Memories" are included in wikipedia's list of steampunk works. I knew I should have let the internet think for me...

It's interesting that they include "Howl's Moving Castle". That came up in my reflections but I didn't include it because of its inclusion of magic into the metaphysics of the imaginary world it takes place in. To me, that makes it fantasy, whereas retro-futuristic works are only extraordinarily unlikely extrapolations of past technologies and societies. "Nausica: of the Valley of the Wind" is also included, which I didn't include because it includes an alternate evolutionary history (giant bugs and a toxin emitting jungle are everywhere).

I thought of "Spirited Away" as well (Miyazaki seems to be enamored with fantastical extrapolations of bygone technology). Look at this picture:
Spirited-Away-0156.jpg

Here, elaborate all analog technology (in the form of thousands of card catalog-like drawers, pull levers, and cranks) is used to operate a bathhouse for spirits, but requires an extraordinary spider-like humanoid slave and enchanted soot motes to succeed. It seems to replace the steampunk aesthetic of innumerable tubes, dials and wheels organized in unknown ways, with simpler and more recognizable operational components used in magical ways. Both are appealing aesthetically, but I wonder why?

I also almost included "Dark City," but held off because its aesthetic seemed more 1940s, and that's too recent. The internet has since informed me it is an example of "Diesel Punk". Apparently "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is of that genre too...

Last edited:
ha "Diesel Punk" brilliant! I think Dark City is a bit of a mix also, I think I remember ornate sort memory syringes that look quite steampunk like maybe. I guess "Brazil" would be Diesel Punk then aswell. Thanks for the suggestions, checking steamboy soon.

Tetsuo, the Iron Man

tha plot
NSFW:

A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body, is hit and possibly killed by a Japanese "salaryman", out for a drive with his girlfriend. The salaryman then notices that he is being slowly overtaken by some kind of disease that is turning his body into scrap metal, and that his nemesis is not in fact dead but is somehow masterminding and guiding his rage and frustration-fueled transformation.

its long enough to watch numerous times in a row
-
;-)

^I've never managed to get through the entire thing once, let alone numerous times.