• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

I'm deffo gonna have to watch that one Shambles. I love watching stuff about the second world war and I have never heard of that unit of British SS so will be interesting to learn about them.

It was pretty interesting and I had no idea about that unit. They manage to track down a couple of people still alive who had some involvement as well as recorded interviews with one fella that has since died and the son of another member. Mostly it's just one of those bizarre WWII stories that plays like a comedy of errors. On the one hand it is kinda treasonous but on t'other they do mostly seem to have simply been taking the piss and just going for it cos it's better than being locked up.

This is an interesting BBC doc about Operation Gladio from 1992. If you don't know about Gladio, watch this (or at least check out the wikipedia) - definitive proof that 'our side' have been doing false flag terrorism on ourselves for decades in the cold war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHXjO8wHsA

It's about a NATO operation in italy (but there were similar ones in most of europe) - basically just after ww2, groups of people (usually fascists) were trained and given weapons as a 'stay behind army' to cause terrorist trouble if the soviets ever invaded europe. But pretty soon these groups started to be used against lefties in their own population. There was a whole series of bombings in italy during the 60s and 70s which in the usual histories are still attributed to Communist groups - but it turns out they were pretty much all done by these gladio groups of facsists pretnding to be commies, or infiltrating/taking over existing groups to discredit the left (including kidnapping of the ex-prime minister).

Everyone should know about this stuff (most of you probably do if you watch decent conspiracy vids...)

As an aside, a recent CIA whistleblower Sibel Edmonds said that she had seen files in the pentagon regarding al qaeda and related terrorists which was labelled as 'Gladio B', which i think is telling...

I actually didn't know about that one but sounds right up my alley so will give that a watch at some point.

What was the name of that other bizarro WWII undercover operation where they found some dead tramp and floated his body off with all kindsa false info attached to (quite successfully) try throw them off the scent of the site of the D-Day landings? Been a while since I saw it (another BBC doc) but think that was the gist of it. Really is the stuff of spy novels rather than what you'd imagine actually happens. I suspect the stuff of most spy novels if probably not so very far from reality no matter how freaky, far-fetched and downright weird it happens to be,

Aye i saw that 'mincemeat' doc too; twas interesting - some of the most famous spy novels are written by actual ex-spies (flemming, john le carre) so there should be some similarity; though i've heard le carre say it was mostly paranoid upper class idiots doing paperwork in reality.

About the gladio, the idea of stay-behind-armies was first done in britain during ww2 - michael foot was actually one of the people trained to do terrorism if the nazis invaded. Gladio (and the similar operations elsewhere) were based on that. It's a cool story - i don't think that bbc doc quite covers the whole lot (more's come out since), but you get enough to start with - it even links in to P2 and all that (to push your conspiracy theory buttons...)

Monster Black Holes

Ignore the cheesy title cos is one of the best black hole docs I've yet seen. Also one of the better general cosmology docs for that matter. Plenty pretty pix but also some properly good sciencey bits and explained well at that. Not that anybody understands what such things are but I do think I gained just a smidge of a better grasp on some aspects than I have before. These kinda things tend to focus very heavily on "They're just weird!!!" but some attempt to explain why they are weird and what analogies can be drawn. One of the dead simple ones that simply never occurred to me was the dropping something and the energy of the breaking - only with no way for energy to dissipate so becomes a kinda feedback loop. Don't worry - they explain it a lot better than I do. I know what I mean. Still don't know what manner of thing a black hole would actually be but perhaps just a touch closer than I did an hour ago. Well worth a watch if interested in such things even if you've seen a bazillion of 'em before - it is certainly one of the better ones.

Mostly posting to point out I ain't kidding when I moan about it being a bit bloody rural around these parts. Damnably pretty but not exactly filled with amenities. Also Terry Jones. (Technically a Welsh amenity even if his pronunciation would get a spanking in places :D)

Terry Jones' Great Map Mystery
Episode 1 The Road to Aberystwyth

The actual town I live in gets a mention but isn't shown but it's all reasonably familiar - I actually recognise bits of it which is surprising given hills, woods and rivers are often much of a muchness. At least they are to somebody who came to such things rather recently comparatively.

Perhaps (or definitely) of wider interest would be the site it's taken from. Not come across this particular doc site before and seems to have a fair few docs I've not seen on others.

Found it quite interesting.

I dispute the fact that matter turns into nothing.

I think it's possible for gravity to exist without mass as supposedly E=mc2 is not an absolute & refers to massive energy? Therefore mass is broken down into (non-massive) energy which exerts gravitational force & the majority of matter pulled in by the gravitational force is trapped on the inner event horizon of a blackhole with the rest being thrown out. :?

Probably all wrong ;)

But even then, I have a fundamental belief that everything is made up of something, whether or not it is what we recognise as matter.

My brain hurts. 8(

It's the dead centre of the black hole where mass supposedly completely drops out of existence. Plenty stuff flying around further out (but inside) but once it finally makes it right to the singularity it is gone by definition - singularity means no space so there is nowhere for anything to be. The only way I can even come close to visualising it is with one of those "balls on a rubber sheet" thingies only it becomes so heavy it pinches of the space around it and goes... somewhere else. That's not the way it is cos it doesn't work nor fit with as much as I can make of the more technical stuff but is basically how I picture it from my very much a layman standpoint.

It's that singularity thing which nobody can get their head around cos it does not make logical sense that you can crush a thing out of existence yet it still exists in some sense. I would say everybody would like to dispute it but until anybody can fine a way around the implications of what a singularity actually means there's not anything much to say but they are incomprehensible things. Much like the Big Bang singularity - everything in "nothing"? It's a hard concept for anybody and I don't think anybody can really grasp it in any kinda intuitive sense. It's one of those things where I wish I'd learnt more maths but suspect you'd have to know a fair bit before it helped much :D

Isn't there also an idea that everything that falls into a black hole does still exist only massively scrambled on the event horizon? At least the information does not the actual things. Summat to do with holographs which seem to be a popular way of looking at things in cosmology of late. Have seen things on it but mostly of the quite technical kind and was a while back so won't attempt to explain. Leonard Susskind is quite big on the idea though I think and I'm rather fond of him.

It's what we refer to as a proper mindfuck. If the experts can't even begin to get their heads around it, then what chance do we have!

My Sister did that sort of thing - she did a PhD analysing some aspect of cosmic data. Something to do with solar flares I believe.

is that Large Hadron Collider thing still running? if i recall they were gonna create a blackhole with it... singulary.... Quantum mechanics is some mind bending shit

I rewatched one of the Horizon black hole docs after that one last night as a bit of a compare and contrast. It's from that particularly good series of Horizon where they seemed to do no wrong and had a very strong house style I was rather fond of. It covers similar ground but for once the US doc has more actual info and depth to it. Although the Horizon one has Michio Kaku at a blackboard doing actual sums and several prominent cosmologists being scuppered by an interviewer who knows exactly the best simple question to ask to get a brilliantly baffled and bemused reaction out of them - Horizon: Black Holes - What Are They?

I don't expect to have much in the way of real understanding of such things but I do read a lot and do watch a lot (not all documentaries (mostly documentaries - especially recently - admittedly) but watch a few uni lectures on PooToob too which are surprisingly accessible usually). It's just something that's always fascinated me and just like to wonder about. Like trying to picture things even if I can't actually describe them in any meaningful way. They make sense in my own head and that's good enough for me :D

is that Large Hadron Collider thing still running? if i recall they were gonna create a blackhole with it... singulary.... Quantum mechanics is some mind bending shit

Having the power ramped up to be switched on again next year. They are hoping for "mind bending shit" even more so than before I suspect cos they turning it up to eleven to see what happens. Mini black holes are a possibility. Even other dimensions. Admittedly those are mostly to get headlines and kinda unlikely but are possible... just about. Will be interesting just cos nobody's ever smashed shit together so hard before so seems likely new stuff will be discovered of some kind. Will be mighty disappointing if they see nothing new at all.

There's also some folk looking at cosmic rays hitting the atmosphere at speeds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above anything the LHC can manage. Fuck knows how they're doing it but is apparently a bit tricky so quite a recent area of research. Could see all kindsa wild stuff from those collisions .That really is mini black hole territory.

Cool more space docs - i think i saw that horizon one, but these things always bear rewatching (i'll still forget most of it).

I'm sure i've gone on about it before in this thread, but In Our Time on radio 4: Today's episode was about photosynthesis - bloody fascinating it was (short version repeated at tonight at 9.30 or on iplayer). I find that cellular biology stuff just as mindblowing as the space stuff (just the scales and complexity involved). i find i can absorb more of the audio only format than docs somehow (plus can get on with washing up) (though i wish the telly still had open university in the night (sigh))

Scratch...the history of hip-hop and turntablism

Great documentary with some all time legends. I imagine it will probably appeal to quite a few here.

Yeah fucking sweeet isn't it!

I saw grandmaster flash when I was living in Leicester and it was one of the biggest disappointments ever, he was playing modern chart RnB/shitehop :X It was at a Liquid club though so I guess it was to be expected reallly.

Just reminded me of one I meant to post up here but forgot. Similar theme - about the history of sampling with interviews with plenty peeps of interest. And loads of great tunes.

Copywrite Criminals