• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

good books or textbooks about the brain & nervous system.

StarOceanHouse

Bluelight Crew
I need some recommendations for some textbooks or books about the brain and it's connection with the nervous system. I took a physiology class once so I know a little bit about how the brain works. I'd like read some books that go into further detail. Preferably books geared towards people in the medical field. Thanks in advance.

I need some recommendations for some textbooks or books about the brain and it's connection with the nervous system. I took a physiology class once so I know a little bit about how the brain works. I'd like read some books that go into further detail. Preferably books geared towards people in the medical field. Thanks in advance.

Zen and The Brain- You'll learn a ton about Zen Meditation and pretty much every region of the brain you would want to, it's a great book that also goes into the history and culture of Zen Buddhists, it's my favorite brain book.

The one we used in school was BioPsychology by Pinel. It's a little watered down, more geared towards people who aren't as interested in further study IMO, but tons of great pics and some interesting side stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Biological-Ps...2168362&sr=8-1&keywords=biological+psychology

this is the book I used in my Psychological Biology course a few years back, it's pretty damn cool. I check out other Bio-psyche books at other campuses when I have a chance, and I still haven't found one as impressive as this one. Not just in terms of the way the information is displayed, but also the pictures that help understand the specific brain/nervous system mechanisms...It's one of the few books I regret not keeping after finishing the class.

Lol just writing this is making me want to re-buy it used on amazon. :)

Though they're meant for lay readers, I've heard nothing but good things about Oliver Sacks' works.

Last edited:
Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman. Probably the best book i have ever read about the human brain.

I studied on 'Neuroscience' (D. Purves and others). I liked the book, even if it did not cover all possible topics. Looking on Amazon, it seems that newer editions have 300 pages more (around 900), so probably they added new chapters.
If you want a more comprehensive book, try 'Principles of Neural Science' (E. Kandel and others). I did not study on it, but used it as a reference work.
You can also try 'From Neuron to Brain' (J. Nicholls and others). It is probably more introductory than the other two, but I cannot say for sure. I've followed Nicholls' lectures a few years ago and received copies of some pages of his book as handouts. They seemed well written, and the man is super nice, but this is all I can say about the book.