• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Going from meth to coke ?

CarryBagMan

Bluelighter
Hi ya'll....wondering how much cross-tolerance there might be to the stimulant effects of going from meth to cocaine. So if a person currently has a fairly good tolerance to meth, will that same tolerance transfer over to cocaine...or will it be like doing cocaine for the first time because of how the neuro-biology works ??? Or is it the case where it would be a waste to switch to cocaine because of one's prior tolerance to meth, likely no novel effects ??? I am having a hard time articulating , but I think ya'll should have a general gist of where I'm going with this lol....thanks so much.

Hi ya'll....wondering how much cross-tolerance there might be to the stimulant effects of going from meth to cocaine. So if a person currently has a fairly good tolerance to meth, will that same tolerance transfer over to cocaine...or will it be like doing cocaine for the first time because of how the neuro-biology works ??? Or is it the case where it would be a waste to switch to cocaine because of one's prior tolerance to meth, likely no novel effects ??? I am having a hard time articulating , but I think ya'll should have a general gist of where I'm going with this lol....thanks so much.
Be prepared to spend way more money if you switch to coke

There’s bound to be some general tolerance to stimulants, psychological tolerance..

So you wont get to enjoy coke like someone with 0 tolerance to meth for sure, how profound that difference will be is hard to tell. As you can certainly reach point of meth (ab)use where cross-tolerance with stimulants vastly different in action like coke and MDMA becomes really pronounced.

In the case of methamphetamine and cocaine, both are stimulant drugs that affect the brain's dopamine levels, but they have different mechanisms of action. Methamphetamine has a longer duration of action and remains in the brain longer, leading to prolonged stimulant effects. Cocaine, on the other hand, prolongs dopamine actions in the brain, [Source]

There is evidence to suggest that chronic administration of d-amphetamine or methamphetamine can produce cross-tolerance to the discriminative and reinforcing effects of cocaine. [source] This means that if a person has developed a tolerance to methamphetamine, they may also have a reduced sensitivity to the effects of cocaine. However, the extent of cross-tolerance may vary depending on the individual and their drug use history. Anecdotal reports from users online also support that there might be some degree of cross-tolerance between methamphetamine and cocaine, but the experiences can be quite subjective and with no real study it's hard to know...

In summary, there is evidence to suggest that cross-tolerance between methamphetamine and cocaine can occur, but the extent of this cross-tolerance may vary among individuals.

Your tolerance to almost any stimulant will dampen some of the effect of any other stimulant.

Switching from meth to coke isn't going to return you to the golden halcyon phase when it all seemed so lovely. The efforts your body took to undo that harm (from its point of view) will apply just as well to most other drugs that attempt to stim up your neurochemistry.

I think you can't feel Coke much after using meth. Meth is so strong compared to cocaine and much longer lasting and IMO The best stimulant because of The duration, euphoria and prize, i can't understand why do Coke (expensive, short-acting) instead of meth?

I think you can't feel Coke much after using meth. Meth is so strong compared to cocaine and much longer lasting and IMO The best stimulant because of The duration, euphoria and prize, i can't understand why do Coke (expensive, short-acting) instead of meth?
Maybe cuz almost relaxing feeling fantastic high proper coke gives is preferred by many? It’s also more of a high that isn’t purpose in itself as stronger drugs high can be. Ofc smoked it leans toward that, getting high to get high to get even higher...and than trying to be that high again.

I hate coke.

There. I said it. :)

I'm a weird one, but you know that.
I've had a couple bouts with habitual speed plus occasional use over the years. When I tried coke in the 70's, I didn't really like it. It made me feel geeky and on edge. People thought coke was the greatest thing since fish grew legs in the 70's, so not liking it was not due to lack of trying. I actually bought a few different grams myself, thinking it was the cut or something. I have also tried it occasionally when others had it over the years. My brother knew a dealer who broke up multiple ounce purchases at his house. I tried his product uncut a few times.

Always the same. The feeling was unpleasant.

When I was injecting speed, same. I'd try various grams of coke which were supposed to be pretty pure, pay the tariff for that from reputable people.
Banging it made me feel horrible. Sweats, nausea, shakes.
One time, I finally got some crank after banging the coke (and hating it), and my friends said that I went from pale and bad looking to looking fine when I banged the crank. I always liked speed. Always did not like coke.

This was considered pretty weird in a person in the 70's. Sports stars and Wall Street professionals were loving coke and the backlash had not hit yet. However, I've met a person or two similar to me over the years since. Guess some quirk of metabolism or body chemistry.

Anyway, just a data point. Coke might scratch the itch fine, it might scratch it a little (likely), and it might be totally different for you.

Last edited:
I hate coke.

There. I said it. :)

I'm a weird one, but you know that.
I've had a couple bouts with habitual speed plus occasional use over the years. When I tried coke in the 70's, I didn't really like it. It made me feel geeky and on edge. People thought coke was the greatest thing since fish grew legs in the 70's, so not liking it was not due to lack of trying. I actually bought a few different grams myself, thinking it was the cut or something. I have also tried it occasionally when others had it over the years. My brother knew a dealer who broke up multiple ounce purchases at his house. I tried his product uncut a few times.

Always the same. The feeling was unpleasant.

When I was injecting speed, same. I'd try various grams which were supposed to be pretty pure, pay the tariff for that from reputable people.
Banging it made me feel horrible. Sweats, nausea, shakes.
One time, I finally got some crank after banging the coke (and hating it), and my friends said that I went from pale and bad looking to looking fine when I banged the crank. I always liked speed. Always did not like coke.

This was considered pretty weird in a person in the 70's. Sports stars and Wall Street professionals were loving coke and the backlash had not hit yet. However, I've met a person or two similar to me over the years since. Guess some quirk of metabolism or body chemistry.

Anyway, just a data point. Coke might scratch the itch fine, it might scratch it a little (likely), and it might be totally different for you.
it must have been weird coming up when coke was all the rage, now it's like obviously still popular but it's not glamorized without admitting the downsides like it was in the 70s

Everyone I know has done coke but I haven't, but I always hear the same thing. You feel manic and incredible for 30 minutes and then you need to do more. The only stimulant I've really fucked with was MDMA once last summer, what a great time that was. I don't think I'd ever try coke. I hear MDMA and meth have a similar high?

OP, is your goal to get off stimulants entirely?

it must have been weird coming up when coke was all the rage, now it's like obviously still popular but it's not glamorized without admitting the downsides like it was in the 70s
My brother and his buds were into it because they were college basketball "stars". So, they got into it from the sports connection.
His dealer would offer me a line whenever he stopped by. I'd refuse and he always looked at me funny. He's say, "You know It's free, right?"

IMO, coke killed the "hippy" gestalt and ground us all into the machine for processing. But, that's a different story.

Everyone I know has done coke but I haven't, but I always hear the same thing. You feel manic and incredible for 30 minutes and then you need to do more. The only stimulant I've really fucked with was MDMA once last summer, what a great time that was. I don't think I'd ever try coke. I hear MDMA and meth have a similar high?

OP, is your goal to get off stimulants entirely?
:) I would start to feel better 30 minutes later.

Dude, I'm in my 60's now. I haven't done any heavy stimulants in forever. An occasional Ritalin (at 5mg.) to stay awake and, admittedly, way too much coffee are the only stimulants I do.

My brother and his buds were into it because they were college basketball "stars". So, they got into it from the sports connection.
His dealer would offer me a line whenever he stopped by. I'd refuse and he always looked at me funny. He's say, "You know It's free, right?"

IMO, coke killed the "hippy" gestalt and ground us all into the machine for processing. But, that's a different story.
yeah i've got the feeling that cocaine brought that soulless sense of commercialization into the dying counterculture

Yeah it does seem like cocaine ruled the 70s and 80s but especially the 70s. LSD use peaked between 1967-1972, I think globally it peaked in 1972 which is odd given it was so highly praised especially in the late 60s. There was still plenty of it but I guess a lot of people had already turned on and were just going for whatever the hot new drug was and for so many people it was coke (and plenty of grass of course, that was getting stronger).

I know George Harrison got into way too much of it for sure, that picture of him in 1974 looks absolutely awful, like he's 50 years old even though he was like 30. Looked younger as he got older. When I see that picture, I see the impact of cocaine in the 70s. Only bring him up because he's one of my favorite musicians and despite renouncing drug use minus some grass after his bad acid experience in California, the break-up seems to have led him, John and Ringo into some bad shit with cocaine and booze. I don't think they really wanted to break up. Paul had already been doing cocaine around Pepper so he knew way sooner it wasn't worth it. Kinda just rambling at this point though.

How similar is meth to MDMA? Not thinking of using it, just curious. A cousin of mine apparently got meth instead of MDMA from someone and did it by accident. She was just so casual about it too lol. Didn't ask her how it felt though, was a cousins wedding and lots of stuff was going on. But MDMA made me feel like that, mellow, emotional, calm and wanting to connect with people and nature. Existing in a totally forced happy high. Weed enhanced it a lot.

How similar is meth to MDMA? Not thinking of using it, just curious. A cousin of mine apparently got meth instead of MDMA from someone and did it by accident. She was just so casual about it too lol. Didn't ask her how it felt though, was a cousins wedding and lots of stuff was going on. But MDMA made me feel like that, mellow, emotional, calm and wanting to connect with people and nature. Existing in a totally forced happy high. Weed enhanced it a lot.
Not similar at all. While both are stimulants, emphatogen side of MDMA makes it a completely different. While oral meth can be said to have some vague similarity to MDMA in a sense of how good it feels that’s about it when it comes to similarity. Or maybe if you overdo them and when you end up shaking, barely able to move but feeling fucking fantastic. But at normal doses, in normal circumstances they are pretty much two different worlds. On meth I’ll get immense pleasure while having sex and bursting with euphoria but still being clear-headed while MDMA high ime/imo is far from a state that could be called clear-headed. Also as much as MDMA high is consistent and lacking, hm, creativity of psychedelics it’s still far more unpredictable experience than meth...if that makes any sense...as it has some hints of psychedelia that ain’t there with meth.

yeah i've got the feeling that cocaine brought that soulless sense of commercialization into the dying counterculture

And we are seeing this play out once again… Funny how cocaine more pure than anyone has ever seen this generation is flooding in the psychedelic communities right now.

-GC

And we are seeing this play out once again… Funny how cocaine more pure than anyone has ever seen this generation is flooding in the psychedelic communities right now.

-GC
I’m pretty much living outside of society atm and sadly even I noticed that in brief encounters. But I didn’t realized it’s a thing but simply thought it has to do with how preference of drugs change with age, as it’s surely easier to manage a few lines of coke and booze than psychedelic experience if you got job & children.

I’m pretty much living outside of society atm and sadly even I noticed that in brief encounters. But I didn’t realized it’s a thing but simply thought it has to do with how preference of drugs change with age, as it’s surely easier to manage a few lines of coke and booze than psychedelic experience if you got job & children.

I’d argue the opposite actually, that they are less easy to manage. Maybe easier in the very short term..

I do agree though I have wondered as well if as people grow up they want comfort drugs over drugs that expand consciousness.

-GC

I’d argue the opposite actually, that they are less easy to manage. Maybe easier in the very short term..

I do agree though I have wondered as well if as people grow up they want comfort drugs over drugs that expand consciousness.

-GC

Well sure if you look at bigger picture booze & coke are way more likely to harm biz & family, sadly just a few do consider bigger picture.

First time I encountered this change in preference of drugs was with some older guys saying how they ain’t got no time or power for doing psychedelics any-more and in their older days pretty much stick to regular use of weed and coke and/or heroin as a treat once in a while.

I did met older people sticking to psychedelics but given average age on parties focused on psychedelics (where I’m already in pretty old category) is much lower than at places & events more gravitating toward coke, booze, opiods, ghb etc coupled with weed. Given how it’s easier to have profound experience, well great social time at least on someone more mature/wiser while doing coke & booze than with some noob on psychedelics it’s easy to see how eventually many drugs users accept compromise of shifting their primary medicine to be more, hm, standard for their age group.