God Paradox

Suppose God exists. Can God create a rock so heavy that even he himself can not lift it?

If there is God, and if he were to attempt such a thing, it would require its placement in physical form. The answer is yes, because he could. In theory an object may be created as such, however under the presumption that God can do so a whole new structure would need to be created outside of time.

“It took ten minutes to walk from MacDonald’s to Burger King”
“The earth takes three hundred and sixty five days to circle the sun”

Is an object stationary?
Is it alive?

Time itself is used as a calculative. It is a measurement; a tool. If you are to calculate the measurement of form or if you are to suggest a fourth dimension in reality one can suggest that as there is movement, there is a calculable figure or shape to which is also a seminal shape, parallel to this shape and can be inverted if you take into account direction of one point ('O'-dimension) or of four points like a square.

It is suggested that as there is a point O, in order to for this to initiate. Because it can repeat itself it would require time measurement to achieve a required invariant.

In the occurrence of

time A - the invention of such structure
time B - in the event of such mass that B time(a stone of mass and structure that it is the whole form in place occurring between A and C in time)

time C – it has repeated

The collapsing of structure is not physical or elemental but particle and in theory requires a time trigger. The metric tensor is a central object in general relativity that describes the local geometry of space-time. Using approximation, the metric can also be thought of as representing the 'gravitational potential'. The metric is a symmetric tensor and is an important mathematical tool. As well as being used to raise and lower tensor appendices, it also generates the connections which are used to construct the geodesic equations of motion.

I'm not sure i have any idea what you're saying LouReed, but my closest guess is this:

To place a rock god cannot move, god simply inserts a rock at a specific point at every instance in the timeline - or if you will one massive long 4d rock, that has the dimensions or 1m, 1m, 1m (for example) at point x,y,z in the first 3 dimensions and has a a length in the 4th dimension of from 'the beginning of time' at point x,y,z until 'the end of time' at point x,y,z. Therefore, as the intrinsic rock has the property of 'being in the same spot for all time', it cannot move at any time (because this would violate the property of being in the same spot at all times) and therefore is an immovable rock.

What that your idea LouReed?

If so there are a couple of chewy bits.

First, how is 'creating one long 4d rock' different from simply creating a 3d rock and not deciding not to move it. Are the two actions actually the exact same thing? And if they are, then does this fit the conditions of the problem? Deciding not to move something, and not being able to move something are two entirely different things.

Second, i think it is implicit in the question that we are talking about a standard, everyday, 'one instance at a time', 3d system. The question talks about concepts such as 'can god do' and 'doing' requires the passing of time. Therefore god cannot 'do' anything from outside of time. Some people say god is indeed out side of time, but i think for the sake of the question in this case i think we shouldn't consider him to be so.

Btw I'm an atheist in case any one is wondering. Doesn't stop this thought experiment from being interesting though.

Last edited:
One rock he could easily lift, but how about a whole castle? That'd be so goddamn heavy I bet he couldn't lift it, no matter how hard he tried. BUT! If he asked Satan to help him, could they lift it together?

Well I can make something too heavy for ME to lift.

The only illogical idea here is that of omnipotence.

That is the "non-thing".

Last edited:
"If an omnipotent God exists, then it can do anything, as long as that action is logically possible. "

So what you are saying is that God can create logic so powerful that he cannot break it?

I signed up just to post that. Im so anal.

You cannot say that God is omnipotent just as you cannot say that a painting is omnipotent. God is just a word, a representation.

God has no power. The universe is a train rumbling down the track of time. Determinism. No possibilities, just what was what is and what will be.

The previous posters connote the ideas of omnipotence and infinity with the term God. For the purposes of answering the OP, maybe you can insert your idea of infinity for the term God. The universe has been expanding since the big bang. Whatever cause preceded this effect is what were discussing.

I am not a judeo-christian by any means, but this increasingly popular version of staunch atheism that is popular on this website is just as dogmatic as blind, theistic faith. Your idea of the universe as a train rumbling down the track of time is Newtonian and basically incorrect - which brings me back to the OP's question. Time is just a dimension that is subjective to human experience. It is possible to imagine some higher level perception of a period of time (or possibly all of time) where the whole "story" is sensed instantaneously.

My idea of the word God, transcends the notion of a ticking clock. This being would perceive all ticks that ever occurred at once. This being would also be outside of space - "he" would not look at one area of space time, he would have the whole view. For this reason he would not enter an area of space to lift the heaviest rock, he would be the cause of the rock and the space that the rock occupies. The force would be outside of space-time.

The mistake is applying the terms "can" and "cannot" to God. IF God is omnipotent, then God will do what God wants. It is a matter of will. God will make a rock, and if he chooses He/She will lift it.

If you think outside of will, and in terms of can and cannot, you will find yourself going in circles. Transcend duality.

Of course i could be wrong.
Nah looking up is better. Have to disagree with that. God is everywhere yes but more so literally and constantly above us for sure.

so water is not aware of a fish that lives in it as the fish is not aware of internet for the sake that it got aware of humans.

So I think God is everything that is happening or we just think of it as some higher dimension being but I think the point is that we are the water here and God is the Internet....so that far