• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Glowing colors from lorazepam ?

One thing I've noticed about this benzo is that it stimulates the appetite in a way unlike that of any different benzo that I have taken.

In this country it is sometimes prescribed in cases of nausea caused by chemotherapy.

Does anyone know what mechanism could be in play ?

Glowing colors and appetite stimulation? Does anyone know whether it has cannabinoid activity?

Muscimol functions primarily as a direct agonist at GABA-A, while the z-drugs are positive allosteric modulators at GABAA, like the benzodiazepines, but they are more selective (I want to say for the alpha1 subunit, but I know elsewhere as well). I'm not sure if activity outside of this function as a PAM has even been investigated. Basically, we don't know what underlies the hallucinatory effects, and researchers aren't particularly eager to throw resources at the problem. :p

ebola

I'm curious, where else are they more selective ?

After switching between lorazepam and clonazepam I wonder if indeed lorazepam doesn't have some acetylcholine-specfific action. Some anticholinergic action ?

Can someone translate this for me ? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22333515
The article discusses anticholinergic effects of different benzodiazepines. Ascending order (IC50) values ... I(K)(ACh) medazepam ... chlordiazepoxide Most anticholinergic to least anticholinergic, or least anticholinergic to most anticholinergic ?

After briefly switching back from lorazepam to clonazepam, I'm getting a dry mouth - which suggests an anticholinergic effect - but clonazepam usually causes more saliva production ! As if lorazepam has 'cholinergic' properties, but maybe that's nonsense ?